Help Help the aged!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hi, I have an elderly relative who, at the age of 78, has decided he wants to start using his PC more. He can do basic email and stuff but I've been taking him through things like cutting/pasting, attaching files to emails, basic word processing, changing screensavers, making folders etc.. Stuff that you and I do with about as much thought as we put into breathing.

Is there a site with totally basic, easy to follow tutorials? Preferably aimed at someone of his generation with his level of knowledge? He's worried that he's not going to remember anything we've been through. I must admit I am a crap teacher ("you need to do this, oh shit hang on no actually you need to do this before you do that" for instance) and I would like to email him a link or two to try to help him out.

He uses Windows XP SP2 with stuff like Works, Outlook Express and Picasa with his camera.

Thanks!

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I taught my gran to use her computer, she can send emails and even use skype!

I found the best way to do it was to get her to write her own instructions on how to do things (in word or the text editor of your choice) and then get her to print it out at the end.

Just remember to teach them things very slowly. And tiny things to us may often seem like difficult things to them. My Gran has terrible problems remembering if its left click, double left click or right click to do various things. She wrote that all down.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Surprisingly, googling 'Google tutorials' reveals around 37 million results. :D Sorry, no serious answer to this question here :(

leviathane

Part of the furniture
some uni's do outreach programs for helping the aged, where students volunteer to show the elderly to do simple stuff like emails, chat, skype, word etc etc. Perhaps see if their local uni does such a thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom