HELP! Set up Hard Drive to work as a SATA driver??

Windwalka1

Fledgling Freddie
so yeah... can anyone help?

i need to get the first Hard Drive set up to work as a SATA (Serial ATA) driver on an ASUS motherboard

and im very out of my depths

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Windwalka1 said:
so yeah... can anyone help?

i need to get the first Hard Drive set up to work as a SATA (Serial ATA) driver on an ASUS motherboard

and im very out of my depths

Im guessing its as simple as...

unplug IDE lead (big ribbon thingy) and throw it away.
connect SATA cable (thin red plastic thingy) from HD to mobo and turn PC on.

You may require some floppy disk with teh correct SATA drivers for your mobo, or it may just work like magic.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Serial ATA is a completely different specification to IDE/ATA.

You need a serial ATA drive and a serial ATA header on your mobo (or seperate serial ATA controller card) to connect a serial ATA drive.

You cannot connect an IDE/ATA drive to a serial ATA header, there just maybe an adaptor available, but i'm not sure.

Or am I simply misunderstanding the original question and you have just bought a serial ATA drive and have a mobo with a serial ata header and just wish to connect it up? If so, original poster had it covered.

You will require drivers for it by the way.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I think a CD of XP including SP 2 has the SATA drivers built in. Whereas the original master didn't (Since they weren't around at the time).

So booting and installing from this XP will recognise the SATA drive. You then insall afterwards any motherboard related drivers once you have a full install of XP.

Galadry

Fledgling Freddie
SkarIronfist said:
I think a CD of XP including SP 2 has the SATA drivers built in. Whereas the original master didn't (Since they weren't around at the time).

So booting and installing from this XP will recognise the SATA drive. You then insall afterwards any motherboard related drivers once you have a full install of XP.

It really depends on the particular SATA implementation. My motherboard needed two drivers installed during Windows XP SP2 installation, or it'd bluescreen during set up. (Had to temporarily install a floppy drive, put the drivers on floppy, hit F6 during installation when prompted for third party drivers, then insert each floppy in turn til all the drivers were there)

Darzil

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Darzil said:
It really depends on the particular SATA implementation. My motherboard needed two drivers installed during Windows XP SP2 installation, or it'd bluescreen during set up. (Had to temporarily install a floppy drive, put the drivers on floppy, hit F6 during installation when prompted for third party drivers, then insert each floppy in turn til all the drivers were there)

Darzil
Only if you used RAID or AHCI modes, standard SATA doesn't require drivers when using XP SP1 or newer.

Windwalka1's "problem" was that BIOS displayed his HDDs as "Standard IDE" which just means he aint using RAID nor AHCI - the lesson was that both SATA and PATA are IDEs :p

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Only if you used RAID or AHCI modes, standard SATA doesn't require drivers when using XP SP1 or newer.

Well, I used RAID for 2 drives, and standard SATA for the 3rd. When I just installed drivers for the RAID SATA interface, it still blue screened until I installed them for the other SATA interface. (There are three SATA interfaces on my PC).

Darzil

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Darzil said:
Well, I used RAID for 2 drives, and standard SATA for the 3rd. When I just installed drivers for the RAID SATA interface, it still blue screened until I installed them for the other SATA interface. (There are three SATA interfaces on my PC).

Darzil
Your HDD (Seagate Barracuda) supports NCQ so I would highly recommend reinstalling with AHCI-mode :S

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, well, my motherboard has three SATA chipsets, JMicron, Sil3132 and Intel. The data drive is on the JMicron one, the RAID 0 system drive is on the Intel one, the Sil3132 one is disabled.

If either of the drivers for the JMicron or Intel chipsets are not put in during Windows XP SP2 installation, it bluescreens during the install process.

I know, I tried not installing the JMicron ones because I didn't think I needed to worry about the data drive, as I wasn't going to install XP on it.

I was just using this as an illustration of how it can be required, it's not because the drives are SATA, it's because the chipsets running the SATA aren't included in Windows XP SP2. My machine is running fine!

Darzil

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Saggy said:

It did on my brand spanking new Asus Mobo. Prior to making up the driver floppy I did a standard install using XP SP1 Disk and ended up with a blue screen of death, even in safe mode.

Pre loading the drivers SATA drivers during the XP install fixed everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom