Politics Help! - New Kitchen

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So. We moved out of my house into my g/f's bigger, better but in a much shitter area house that she was struggling to rent. Two weeks later a mate wants to move in.

He's living in an identical property to mine just down the road and the rent may as well come to me rather than someone he doesn't know.

I'm putting new carpets in throughout and doing a bit of painting but whilst it's empty this month I want to get a new kitchen in there.

However, I've never done it. It's not a big un. I don't want it to be expensive but I would like it to be robust enough to last. Just 6 or 7 60-cm wide by 35cm deep cupboards, a new worktop, a bit of tiling, new sink/taps etc. No replumbing, almost a like-for-like job.

Also, although I'll do the ripping out I'm certainly not competent to do the fitting so I'll have to get someone to do that for me.

Anyone experience of this incredibly dull-but-necessary job? Should I just plump for an IKEA kitchen or is there an equally cheap but infinitely better alternative out there?

Advice please :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ring up a few local firms in your area, they'll come down, measure up, you tell them what you want, and they'll give you a price (which you can negotiate - they'll all drop their price for cash). You'll get better quality than Ikea...but having said that, Ikea are currently advertising their kitchens stressing how robust and child-proof they are. Definitely worth a trip down to your High St & check out the big stores & see for yourself the quality you'll be getting for your buck.

You generally get what you pay for. How long you planning on being in the property? If short term, no need to spend a lot, but if you're gonna be there for quite a few years, you will want something thats gonna last.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ikea are currently advertising their kitchens stressing how robust and child-proof they are. ....... How long you planning on being in the property? If short term, no need to spend a lot, but if you're gonna be there for quite a few years, you will want something thats gonna last.

Yeah, saw the childproof, bomb-proof quotes from Ikea. If it's MDF it won't be standing-water proof.

It's my old house which is now a rental property - but I don't want to have to change the kitchen out all the time. It could do with something robust that'll last...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
When was the kitchen last rewired? If you're ripping it out you should consider that. And while you're at it, check the plumbing's integrity - things have a habit of working loose, the last thing you want is water dribbling out of a loose connection behind a newly-installed unit. And trust me, if someone's in there knocking and banging away installing a new kitchen, pipes will come loose.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Quite a few of my friends have been through this a process over the last few years. A disturbing number end up going with IKEA, unless they're a. absolutely minted or b. into oldy-worldey rustic crap. Almost all kitchens are MDF unless you want to spend several thousand up. Having said that, there are craftsmen out there doing bespoke stuff and not necessarily for a mint, but its word-of-mouth that usually delivers those guys.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The only plumbing of is that of the sink and the washing machine. When the new sink is plumbed in the old seal around the plughole (which was the only thing with a leak) will be fixed. Everything else is pretty solid.

CBA with a rewiring job. All that's in the walls and there's never been any problems. Also, cost - if it doesn't strictly need it then it ain't getting it...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
A disturbing number end up going with IKEA

It's a cost thing. They're cheap and fairly standard. If I have to rip it out in 5 years and replace all the measurements will be exactly the same...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Try and catch Howdens about this time of the month. You want the salesman who's not met their targets and needs the sale.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
CBA with a rewiring job. All that's in the walls and there's never been any problems. Also, cost - if it doesn't strictly need it then it ain't getting it...

When was it last rewired then? If you don't know you should check. Insulation degrades over time.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I thought they were trade only?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So they say, it didn't take me any effort to buy my kitchen from them though. Go figure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom