Help needed installing XP Pro!!

snake75

Fledgling Freddie
I currently have xp pro on my home pc but can no longer download/install updates or SP2 as I do not have a product/licence key. Does anyone know of any way around this problem?

As a last resort i am considering buying a OEM version of XP Pro with the key for about £95 from Micro Direct online. However I have never installed an OPS before and don't know how easy or complicated it mite be. Will it wipe all other programs from my pc, ie Word, Excel, Access, etc etc? I do not have any discs for these so cannot install them again! If it is likely to wipe everything is there a way around protectin them while installin the new OPS?

Please help, i'm female btw but not blonde, if that explains a lot!

Cheers! :)

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
If you don't have a licensed version of XP, then you need to buy one. Buying the OEM version will require that you also purchase a new hard drive (this counts as buying a new system). Try eBuyer, scan, aria and other suppliers as OEM pricing varies a bit.

You don't need to actually install anything however - just activate your existing version using the key supplied with the OEM CD.

snake75

Fledgling Freddie
hmmmm ok thanks!

micro direct seem to let u buy a piece of hardware ie. a mouse along with the oem, if i need to buy a hard drive i may as well go buy a new pc package.

will try e-bay then cos can get oem pretty cheap on there and if i can just use the number off that then problem solved....i hope!!

any more suggestions welcome....

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Be aware that the XP Pro OEM and XP Pro Corporate versions (which is the version Im asuming you have) use different algorithms for the CD keys. You cant change a Corporate version to use the OEM key using the standard registry hack to force the cd key change. It will tell you the OEM key is invalid.

You can install the OEM version on top of your existing windows installation though. You shouldnt lose any installed programs, but you will need to install all your drivers, etc again.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Also beware if you buy an OEM service pack 2 XP PRO licence you wont be able to activate it on your install of XP, im guessing its the same reason as given by Dr_Weasel

on a side note... If he installs over the top of the existing installation does that not wipe the registry... i.e. his office/any other apps will no longer function correctly?

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Whenever Ive installed Windows back on top of an existing installation its never gotten rid of any installed programs out of the registry. It just seems to reset the core windows components and drivers. Ive used this method a couple of times to patch up an ailing and flaky system until I can get around to doing a new install on it.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
I've re-installed windows ontop of previous install before, and it has wiped the registry and most shared DLLs, so I had to re-install things like Office and VS.Net, however some games and apps don't need a re-install, such as Steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom