Help me what to pick

D

darthshearer

I thought I would put this in the gen forum as not to get too much of a biased opinion.

I have a choice between two games. I would like to buy one and I need help

What do I choose?

A) Star Wars Galaxies

B) Dark Age of Camelot

W

Wij

DAoC

and I was here long b4 the game came out.

SWG is too buggy. And boring. And full of knobheads.

allegedly.

T

Tenko

SWG

and I was here long b4 the game came out.

DAoC is too buggy. And boring. And full of knobheads.

allegedly.

D

Damini

Depends what type of player you are. DAoC suits people who like achieving goals, killing, and getting better. It doesn't allow you to have any social skills (unlike UO, which allows you to herd, play music, go fishing...). SGW seems to suit people who like a more social game.

D

Damini

Yeah, I would agree, if you are going to buy DAoC buy the US version.

M

mookie

just out of curiosity, i'm not a DAoC'er or neither do i plan to be, but whats the difference between the UK and US versions?

T

Tenko

A serious post this time :p

SWG is new and QED Buggy.
DAoC is old and therefore not.

DAoC is a grinding game. I played it for over a year and never quite got max level never mind the higher realm rank levels needed for player vs player.
SWG is only a grind if your chasing the Jedi character slot.

DaoC is the best fantasy RPG out at the moment.
SWG is (imo) the best RPG out at the moment, period.

DAoC has Dragons!
SWG has AT-ST!

If you've read reviews, I think SWG got about 70% recently before cities, ridiing mounts and the up-coming vehicles patch.
DAoC got around +80% I think from the same period in its life.

SWG is a roleplayers dream, the stuff that REALLY works well are the elements in place for roleplaying., it is heavily based on Ultima Online.
DAoC is frankly a bit crap when it comes to roleplaying.

Honestly I think you'll love both so either quit your real life and get both or buy them based on which universe you want to move to today.

B

bob007

Being a DAoC player atm I would advice you to aviod both, For reasons above ^^ :)

Buying US daoc would mean diferent "prime time" hours to a eyro 1, Anywhere between 7 pm and midnight in us time zone is around prime time. EU Prime time is the same 7 - midnight, which suits a euro player more. But, We have to wait on patches from GoA to be translated into french/german before they can be patched to english/french and german servers at same time.

Go buy FFXI :)

Or wait and get DE, But it might be a longish wait :p

D

Damini

UK version is run by GOA. No in-game support, and any queries you send off are answered in broken English, or not answered at all. Also, they have a habit of closing accounts without explaining why, and re-activating accounts months after people stopped playing and then refusing refunds.

B

bob007

Originally posted by Damini
UK version is run by GOA. No in-game support, and any queries you send off are answered in broken English, or not answered at all. Also, they have a habit of closing accounts without explaining why, and re-activating accounts months after people stopped playing and then refusing refunds.

There is NO escape!!!

;)

D

darthshearer

Thanks for the advice lads / lasses, please keep it coming :)

B

Brynn

Us Daoc has Trials of Atlantis which we have to wait for aaaages. Plus they have really upto date patches. Good Customer Support. Only Americans (ok thats good and bad) But means you dont have to wait for them to translate into other languages.

J

Jonaldo

I played DAoC for a long time, believe me when I say it's really not much fun, the main reason I stayed was the promise of changes yet whenever Mythic do alter the game it's minor things and they break a lot more than they fix. The game worked a lot better a year ago than it does now.

SWG is still fairly new, nearly all the bugs have been ironed out and with Sony and Lucasarts behind it as well as the huge fan base it has plenty of backing and promise. The upcoming patches and updates look good and it seems to be the place to go, your only worry would be the Star Wars fanbois.

If you don't really care about pvp action then I would advise going to either Final Fantasy XI or Horizons. Both have a lot more content, more varied classes and characters and are generally more fun.

So my choices would be as follows:-

PVP - DAoC (kind of like an rpg for the counterstrike kids, no depth but you get to hit other players with swords as long as you paly the right class and fit into their already pre-arranged groups)

RPG with pvp - SW:G (I'll be playing this soon so maybe a reason for others to avoid) ;)

PVE - Horizons (brand new, cheap at £15 and great crafting/classes) (oh and you can be dragons who grow as you level up and horde treasure!)

PVE - FFXI (very nice looking, good variation and some neat features, bit cartoony for my liking but a lot of people like that style)

M

~Mobius~

Just ordered US daoc myself a few days ago, I have had a few level 50s on European servers but I got sick of the shit customer support, being about 10 patches behind America and the lack of a 3rd English server.

Pro's of US daoc

Up to date, latest patches all the time

About 15 servers, including PvP and Co-operative servers, and a test server to copy your character over and try the latest additions before they go "live" (ie you can change your characters "career" and if you don't like it then just don't do it on the normal server)

Ingame customer support, if you have a problem just /appeal and a customer service representitive will get in touch with you.

They recently got the new Trials of Atlantis expansion.
If you order Trials of Atlantis you get a free daoc account, which has a 7 day free trial and can be used just like a normal account.

Pro's of EU daoc.

Probably more people on these boards who will help you out.

I guess you might feel more at home with English players, although I really notice no difference playing on US servers.

I have played FFXI/Planetside and Starwars Galaxies and Dark Age of Camelot pisses all over them.
If you need anymore information pm me, I'm to knackered to type anymore. ;)

X

Xtro 2.0

Buy yourself a season ticket for Newcastle Utd.

You'll waste marginally less time of your life watching total shit than playing one of those fucking MMORPG's.

M

~Mobius~

Hey, theres nothing wrong with playing mmorpgs, just don't let it take over your life.

X

Xtro 2.0

Originally posted by ~Mobius~
Hey, theres nothing wrong with playing mmorpgs, just don't let it take over your life.

Wij can confirm I played DAOC (and you should fking remember you numpty as I was on same server as you!) and I've played SWG.

There's far too many people who need to be vapourized on there. Yes yes there are some nice people but overall you need to travel, see the world, breathe fresh air and wash. When people start to forget this its bad.

T

throdgrain

I know the sort of games you like to play, so my advice is...
dont buy either, you're not old enough to make a beard look ok.
Buy CoD instead :)

T

Tenko

DAoC pisses all other all of the above?

Err... I don't think so.

Better in some areas maybe. Not as good as the others in some areas definitly.

Hell most people who play DAoC every day love to do nothing but bitch about the problems, its part of what makes mmorpgs so bloody fun :p

M

~Mobius~

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
Wij can confirm I played DAOC (and you should fking remember you numpty as I was on same server as you!) and I've played SWG.

I know, I remember! :)
Luckily you got out, I did for a few months now I'm back, its bloody addictive. :(

M

~Mobius~

Originally posted by Tenko
DAoC pisses all other all of the above?

Err... I don't think so.

Better in some areas maybe. Not as good as the others in some areas definitly.

Hell most people who play DAoC every day love to do nothing but bitch about the problems, its part of what makes mmorpgs so bloody fun :p

Just in my opinion, daoc is the best overall. :)
I don't converse with the whiners, hell I played American PvP all day today, they really have no mercy. I was killed by level 50's all day, but I never moaned once, it comes with the server. When I killed someone a level lower than me he threatened to kill me in real life, which was nice.

I just play it like a game and don't let the stupid realm politics between certain idiots annoy me.

D

Damini

UO was the best MMORPG I ever played, and I'm going to buy SWG soon.

J

Jonaldo

Much as I like Mobius as a person, I would actually avoid DAoC as it really has nothing going for it.

The PVE side of things is absolutely monotonous and people generally just treat each other like shit.

Then you get the PVP which people want to play it for and then all they do is laugh when they kill you, accuse you when you kill them, then complain about the game itself.
It's been 8 months since I quit and I haven't wanted to go back and play it once, even after my brother paid my account one month so he could try my characters I just couldn't bring myself to log in.

The biggest English server is Excalibur and if you want to savour the delights of the people you'd be playing alongside/against, go check out the Excalibur off-topic section to see what they are like when not talking about the game.

Originally posted by Damini
UO was the best MMORPG I ever played, and I'm going to buy SWG soon.
Same here :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Sort your real lives out and stop pretending to be something you wont ever be.

Edit: Now the useful part. Go read the DAOC section of this very forum. Then come here and tell me DAOC deserves any of your money.

D

Damini

Hey, I'll have you know that in every MMORPG I've ever played I've been a bumbling, incompetent accident prone person, with the attention span of a wounded goldfish.

So nerh.

Users who are viewing this thread