Advice Help me pick a game!

Trololol, what game should i buy to have some LoL?

• GuildWars 2

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • PlanetSide 2

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Dust 514

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
So... a actual post without a dumpert link stuck to it! :cry:

I've sold my old ps3 games, and now I'am not sure what game i should buy!!! (soo many fancy trailers!)
The thing is, the game must run on my laptop (and it's not a good one!, see spoiler)

(and ofc Dust is ps3)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz. 2.30 GHz.
4.00 GB RAM, Nvidea G-Force GT 520M 1GB DDR3 HDD 500GB Mem DDRIII 2GB*2

<note i have no idea what most of these numbers actually mean:censored: , i know it runs freddyshouse on chrome though! (y)

typewriter.jpg

Guildwars2
PlanetSide2
Dust 514

[edit: perhaps i should have posted this in the front-room ... /ponder...]

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, i'm going with the assumption that those are your choices and your laptop is an "issue"(how big is debatable), your choices are really guild wars or dust(since it'll work no matter what). I wouldn't play an fps mmo on a slow PC.

Ofcourse, should base it on trial performances, so should gget GW/PS and see what is acceptable.

If that's impossible, dust is atleast a safe/quaranteed to work bet.

If i had to choose absed on game alone, with NO knowledge outside hype, i'd choose planetside.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
I played GW2 betas on a laptop and it was running fine, even though MMO's don't usually have the highest of graphics.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I played GW2 betas on a laptop and it was running fine, even though MMO's don't usually have the highest of graphics.

Try AoC if you feel like changing your mind.. :)

That game still make some pretty beefy PC's tank at times if you put everything on highest possible in DX11, especially raids will make almost any PC out there scream in agony on those settings....

/edit: By the way AngelHeal, go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx if you want to get an idea what your laptop can and can't run...

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Thanks for that link Ctuchik,

says GuildWars 2 would run fine, since my bar is all the way to the right.

PlanetSide 2 doens't excist on that website :cry:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Thanks for that link Ctuchik,

says GuildWars 2 would run fine, since my bar is all the way to the right.

PlanetSide 2 doens't exist on that website :cry:

No, the requirements are not determined for Planetside 2 yet. But i'm suspecting that it will be slightly demanding looking at the sheer number of players per zone that can potentially all fight around the same base (2000).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Personally I wouldn't bother with Guild Wars 2, I think its going to be another typically over hyped MMO that will start declining rapidly after the first lot of paid subs start running out(assuming they even charge subs, in which case if they don't charge a fee in this day and age I just can't see how they can build around the game while making no real profit, previous guild wars were free after purchase so I'll assume this is aswell), I'll eat my own fucking head if it stays active. Planetside 2 will likely stay active for awhile, the concept alone makes it fairly unique (for now) which will likely keep the subs high until Sony add some stupid fucking patch that will break the game.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
No GW2 does not have a subscription.

And why would GW2 not make a profit as an F2P?

F2P games are THE most profitable business model for MMO's at the moment....

Hell many many MMO's have been dragged out of the coffin after going F2P. Examples: AoC, STO, CO, CoX, DDO, Global Agenda, LOTRO, EQ2, Aion(!!!), etc etc etc. I can make this list really long if i could be arsed to. And those are games originally meant to be subscriber only so they aren't perfect F2P games. GW2 is made from the start to be F2P....

Oh and for the record, Planetside 2 isn't gonna have a sub either.....

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Personally I wouldn't bother with Guild Wars 2, I think its going to be another typically over hyped MMO that will start declining rapidly after the first lot of paid subs start running out(assuming they even charge subs, in which case if they don't charge a fee in this day and age I just can't see how they can build around the game while making no real profit, previous guild wars were free after purchase so I'll assume this is aswell), I'll eat my own fucking head if it stays active. Planetside 2 will likely stay active for awhile, the concept alone makes it fairly unique (for now) which will likely keep the subs high until Sony add some stupid fucking patch that will break the game.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_Wq4pXO_0

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
F2P games are THE most profitable business model for MMO's at the moment....

Even F2P games can fail, its all about how they market it and how they show that the £50 purchase is worth it.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Even F2P games can fail, its all about how they market it and how they show that the £50 purchase is worth it.

Alright then, show me the F2P game that failed that you are basing this argument on.

I don't think you will find one because F2P games doesn't truly fail. They just become more or less profitable.

These types of games doesn't fail because they couldn't give 2 fucks if you keep playing or not, the whole model is built around people joining the game and spend a few quid and then leave again to come back later and spend a few quid again... Or if they do stay, make sure that something that isn't really a must have but at the same time is really annoying to be without can only be "rented" for 7 or 30 days at the time, like more bag slots for example....

A-Net is probably trying to keep the "rented" items to a minimum by charging for the game client, and is that a bad idea?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It depend how you rate fails vs success, successful to me is making a profit which allows them to continue development of future content/not having to fire people due to the F2P not making enough.

If Guild Wars 2 makes enough to keep its staff up and churn out the content at a steady pace/acceptable level as opposed to just rushed shit then yes, it's a success

If Guild Wars 2 makes enough to cover running costs and only say 30-40% of the salaries for the sake of the argument then its a failure because staff will be fired and content will either take to long to get out between patches or the quality of it will suffer due to being rushed

can't argue with it, unless of course they have a magical wand you're not telling me about that spawns money for them?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It depend how you rate fails vs success, successful to me is making a profit which allows them to continue development of future content/not having to fire people due to the F2P not making enough.

If Guild Wars 2 makes enough to keep its staff up and churn out the content at a steady pace/acceptable level as opposed to just rushed shit then yes, it's a success

If Guild Wars 2 makes enough to cover running costs and only say 30-40% of the salaries for the sake of the argument then its a failure because staff will be fired and content will either take to long to get out between patches or the quality of it will suffer due to being rushed

can't argue with it, unless of course they have a magical wand you're not telling me about that spawns money for them?

You should run for politics, you have an uncanny ability to talk your way around questions..

Name one F2P game that you consider failed and that made you so confident that GW2 will to.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Depends on who the game failed for really...
I think DAoC failed a long time ago for many people, yet continues to be a huge succes for others....
WoW failed for me, but for 8million people it didn't..

From a business perspective, as long as a game makes profit it's a succes, if it doesn't.. it failed... (on the short term).
Look for instance at the creators of Angry Birds, they create lots of games.. but by failing on 20 of em, only one game can actually make up for it big time. Making perhaps game 1tm9 fail, but without creating those games they wouldn't be able to create angry birds... So those games perhaps failed for the users, but it hasn't for the creators. (creating low budget games is the new online survey i say!)

So to say if a game failed... you need to define failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom