Help me decide what (order) class to be

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
Hey folks

So over the past couple of days, I've tried out a variety of classes. My favourites so far are the Squig Herder and the Marauder. However, when playing chaos, I manage to get into a scenario once every few hours at best, which isn't much fun. It's possible that the population issues will right themselves by the time the game goes live, but in case they don't, I do want to think seriously about going order.

I've tried a few order classes, and although only level 5 at max on each, here are my thoughts so far:
Runepriest: Ok, but healing ability seems incredibly limited, which makes me wonder why you'd bother.
Archmage: I didn't like the style of play at all, found it just horrible. Pathetic amount of DPS at these low levels, took ages to kill anything. Died very easily and frequetly in scenarios. Maybe I just suck at playing it :p
Witchhunter: Got bored pretty quickly, lack of variety of things to do. And I'm not really a fan of using guns. I'd prefer to use a bow or crossbow or something.

Bearing those comments in mind, are there any classes you'd recommend for me to give a go in the last few days of beta?

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Try a White Lion, you get a pet like a Squig Hearder and good melee dps like a
Marauder.

Kuldiin

Fledgling Freddie
Runepriest: Ok, but healing ability seems incredibly limited, which makes me wonder why you'd bother.

I almost spat my drink all over my keyboard reading that rofl.

At level 9 I can 'tank' 3-4 people for a good few minutes my spamming my 2 regens, my instant heal and my morale heal :)

Mortious

Fledgling Freddie
Im in the same sort of position, I am currently playing various Destruction Classes and trying to find one I really jell with. I first played a couple of order classes to level 3 and preferred them so I'm thinking on release i might go order if I can find a guild.

I find Rune priests pretty hard to kill and they always seem to heal themselves pretty well when I have thought them, not seen much of their damage output though

The few archmages I have seen fight/fought against have all held up well to the battle and seem to make a valuable addition to a team in both healing and dps sense.

I always seem to pick classes that are underplayed as I always feel im more likley going to be needed group wise, Any idea what classes these might be ?

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
I almost spat my drink all over my keyboard reading that rofl.

At level 9 I can 'tank' 3-4 people for a good few minutes my spamming my 2 regens, my instant heal and my morale heal :)

I think I just didn't get high enough level on him to be able to then. The HoT I have was quite nice, but the only other heal I have was a really pathetic single target heal that did practically nothing. I'll try playing him a bit more.

Libh

Fledgling Freddie
when playing chaos, I manage to get into a scenario once every few hours at best, which isn't much fun.

you can try order but sadly the queues are quite long either side from my experience.

krilly

Fledgling Freddie
try white lion - for simmilar role to marauder, put with pet rather than stance mechanic

or shadow warrior - for simmilar role to squig herder but with stance mechanic rather than pet

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
I played an engineer tonight. Despite my hated of gun type things, I really really enjoyed it. No queues for scanarios, and much fun was had. Now I'm off to bed. Night night :)

Stalkz

Fledgling Freddie
really lvl5 is no real indication of a class, i know its beta, and i know people like to play lots of diff classes, but really, stick it out to around lvl10 or so with each class to open up a bit more of their abilities.

Lvl5 Witch Hunter doesnt even have Stealth yet, a class defining skill

Same can be said for lots of other classes, im sure if you play them a bit farther you might find something that you like :)

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, but trouble with playing something to a half decent level in beta is that you then have to do it all over again in live. I'd rather be repeating content as little as possible ;)

Stalkz

Fledgling Freddie
thats very true mate, have a look on a few war websites, WARDB for instance, has a list of all classes abilities etc, will give you a good idea what to expect from the class further along, will help you decide a bit easier i guess too

Jericho

Fledgling Freddie
I agree level 5 is no real indication. Having said that, I've tried to give every class a go up to level 5.

In MMOs (and MMORPG) I always play melee characters, as I feel that the engine and game mechanic is designed for this (e.g. playing Anarchy Online and spending 5 minutes blasting away at a clan-traitor with a greande launcher, while he takes lumps out of me with a shotgun is just stupid).

I naturally went for the Witch Hunter first as it was as close to an inquisitor as I could get. Up to lev5 the pistol is only really good for drawing a mob from a pack, and the finishing move when I've built up accusations. But I understand he gets a lot better and gets stealth.

But my bigest surprise has been the bright wizard. I usually hate wizards (as every piece of armour I loot has "You can't use this you robe wearing emo!" written across it. And if a baby rat so much as burps within a hundred feet of me I collapse in dead feint.

But bright wizard was good fun to play (as was the dark elf sorceress, but i only got to level 4 before the beta cut off).

Also the warrior priest was interesting. Firstly they seem to have the best set of faces and a good stubble effect, and their heals are great when going toe-to-toe with a mob 3 levels higher. Of course you pay the price with a warhammer that doesn't seem to do much damage.

krilly

Fledgling Freddie
Can a White Lion be played as anti tank like as Marauder can?

yeah he does the same job as the marauder, for instance the hunter tree gives lots of PBAOE just like the marauders tree that has the big club arm.

I'ts quite cool how they swaped the mechanic and role round with white lion / shadow warrior vs squig herder / marauder

Lamashtu

Fledgling Freddie
I have a White Lion atm and am looking for an alt char to spend a bit of time on now and again when I get a bit fed up with just sticking to the same char a lot!

I want something that can stand alone and do a bit of both pve and pvp without having to group too much, as I probably won't spend an awful lot of time on the alt so will probably take forever to lvl it and I don't want to be stuck on my own, desperately hunting for groups and unable to play well on my own, after everyone else has levelled up!

I would be grateful for any suggestions!;)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have a White Lion atm and am looking for an alt char to spend a bit of time on now and again when I get a bit fed up with just sticking to the same char a lot!

I want something that can stand alone and do a bit of both pve and pvp without having to group too much, as I probably won't spend an awful lot of time on the alt so will probably take forever to lvl it and I don't want to be stuck on my own, desperately hunting for groups and unable to play well on my own, after everyone else has levelled up!

I would be grateful for any suggestions!;)

If you looking at Destro Chars try a DoK. I've ripped many a White Lion apart with mine, dmg is similar but ofc we can self heal like a WP. They usually end up running away leaving the lion to snare now :)

As for PvE post level 12 never had any issues taking same level champion mobs solo in PQ's etc. With the HoT's and styles that heal as well it's pretty easy in PvE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom