Help for users with VIA and USB modems.

W

WPKenny

Thought this might help any of you out there having probs with your modems...

"well with my VIA usb the problem seems to be when the CPU gets hogged the USB just powers down and dies, me and a friend have the same Motherboard (Abit KT7-RAID) and we managed to fix his and my USB problems by turning on "Enhance CPU performance" and disabling "Assign IRQ to USB" all in the BIOS, had no problems with it since we did this"

Found on adslguide.org.uk

N

nath

Just incase anyone else had problems with via/alcatel combo, i did too and managed to solve it today.

My problem was that whenever i downloaded more than 30k/s the usb light went out, well started flashing, but was less on the faster i downloaded, untill it was just off. after a few mins of downloading at this speed, the modem died completely and would need a reset.

I tried all the things:- bios settings, powered hub, even payed 35 quid for a pci usb card so i could avoid the via usb lameness. after ALL the hassle, I (for some reason or other) reinstalled the old drivers (i was on the new ones from bt's website that were apparently needed/recommended for win ME) and for some reason, no more modem death. the usb light does exactly the same thing, flashes/goes out completely. but it never dies anymore *touch wood*

Hope this can help some people.

Nath

S

Sawtooth

Get cable modems...no pain and cheaper

Tried Adsl and suffered the USB power down . I tried all sorts...powered hubs, new power supplied (400W) etc...I gave up on BT in the end who were as useful as a wet fish. I now have Cable (NTL). I mangaed to get BT to terminate my contract with them as I never really had a working service with them. I hope your fixes work thou..good luck. BT should tell people with power hungry Athlon systems to use cable instead.

Saw

W

Wij

Um. It ain't just Athlon systems. I have 300W psu with a P3 and get the problem. I can't get cable down my street tho so it's not an option. And BT ain't gonna recommend anyone else's products really now are they ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom