[HELP] Dental care

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Ok here is the thing, I have not been to a Dentist since 2005 for various reasons.

I have three cavity's on the front which im sure they will fill but at the back one of the my teeth is like 1/4 to 1/3 decayed away, what will they do with that one?

Almost how much can I expect to be charged for all this :/

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd imagine they'd yank it if it's that badly damaged that they cannot rebuild it. Is it loose?

As for costs, no idea matey. Depends entirely on your dentist in my experience.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Try and find a local dentist that still accepts NHS patients... if you can and you sign on for treatment it will be on condition that all of your current problems are treated so you will face an initial sum to fork out, but that will still be less than private treatment and there are limits to how much you need to pay for each batch of treatment (ie it's capped).

Your back tooth, if it is very bad, they might try root canal treatment on followed by either a filling or a crown.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I recently went to the dentist for the first time in ages. I don't know anything about dentistry but from what I picked up from them talking about my teeth if your decayed tooth isn't hurting much then it might be all right with just a filling. If it's got to the point the nerve is decayed too then you're probably looking at either a root canal or an extraction.

Iirc it cost me about £40 on the NHS for a root canal and one filling.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I had a filling (one of only two) a couple of years ago, it has since fallen out but doesn't cause me any problems except getting food stuck in it. The rest of the tooth is fine though.

I think last time I went which was when it was filled it cost me around £40 and £15 for the appointment.

It depends entirely on what you need doing.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Probably a crown, so long as you get a decent dentist. I had a molar that was pretty much cracked in half and they managed to stick a crown on that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ok here is the thing, I have not been to a Dentist since 2005 for various reasons.

I have three cavity's on the front which im sure they will fill but at the back one of the my teeth is like 1/4 to 1/3 decayed away, what will they do with that one?

Almost how much can I expect to be charged for all this :/

OK, you've got 3 cavities that you know about and and one of your teeth is decaying away, yet you've not been to the dentist since 2005?

You deserve bad teeth :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
OK, you've got 3 cavities that you know about and and one of your teeth is decaying away, yet you've not been to the dentist since 2005?

You deserve bad teeth :)

Meh, its easily done tbh. I haven't got around to it since I moved to Ireland two years ago (mainly because it costs a fucking fortune :(), and I really need to.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you don't get regular check ups, then you are just asking for a big bill and a dodgy smile.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Could be worse, could be me. I've probably got the worst teeth in this joint, by far, and no i'm not gonna start discussing why ;)

If the tooth is ripped out, you can always get a screw-in(for the lack of term).

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Could be worse, could be me. I've probably got the worst teeth in this joint, by far, and no i'm not gonna start discussing why ;)

If the tooth is ripped out, you can always get a screw-in(for the lack of term).
I doubt that yours are the worst. I have a 20 year history of pretty bad interventions, surgeries and extractions. :)
Sometimes the best option is to just say fuck it and yank the lot. I had that done to the top set and I'm leaning towards doing the same for the lower set. At least I wouldn't get pain and infections any more.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
NHS dentists (if you can get one) Charge £16.50 for an appointment (check up) and then ~£45 for work you need done. I had a filling done, and they said "oh just put it through as emergency, and it cost me £16.50.

Cosmetic work can cost up to £200 though, but as long as its necessary it won't be bank-breaking.

Get them sorted asap!

The best bit was when the guy turned around and said "I recommend the use of Sensodyne toothpaste".
I was like, "wheres the fucking TV camera then?!"

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I doubt that yours are the worst. I have a 20 year history of pretty bad interventions, surgeries and extractions. :)
Sometimes the best option is to just say fuck it and yank the lot. I had that done to the top set and I'm leaning towards doing the same for the lower set. At least I wouldn't get pain and infections any more.

Well, not a competition to win i think ;)

I've not had surgeries etc done, hensh the problem.

Not to mention a couiple of bad years, diabetes etc. Ahwell, teeth are overrated anyway :p

Gumbo

FH is my second home
If you can get yourself pregnant, then you get free dental work.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've probably got the worst teeth in this joint, by far, and no i'm not gonna start discussing why ;)

You got in a discussion with someone about whether God existed or not, and then they smacked you in the teeth out of frustration?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I don't mind going to the dentist, however I tend to think they are decidedly iffy people. I wouldn't go out for a pint with one. They go into a profession knowing full well that on a daily basis they are going to have people at their mercy and will have the ability to inflict unreasonable amounts of pain on them. It takes quite a twisted personality type to do that job.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I don't mind going to the dentist, however I tend to think they are decidedly iffy people. I wouldn't go out for a pint with one. They go into a profession knowing full well that on a daily basis they are going to have people at their mercy and will have the ability to inflict unreasonable amounts of pain on them. It takes quite a twisted personality type to do that job.

You mean like this?

YouTube - Little Shop of Horrors - Dentist Song

leviathane

Part of the furniture
i can tell you how much you'd expect to pay if you went private, basically you'd be looking at a small fortune if they were savable and strong enough to put crowns onto.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Was @ the dentist earlier. £80 for 15 minutes work. No wonder he's always smiling...

georgie

FH is my second home
Well, not a competition to win i think ;)

I've not had surgeries etc done, hensh the problem.

Not to mention a couiple of bad years, diabetes etc. Ahwell, teeth are overrated anyway :p

Can diabetes affect your teeth too? It's a bitch.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Went to the dentist for the first time in about 10 years ago last week (got a real thing about people sticking metal implements in my mouth, I blame the Marathon Man). Decided it was about time to stop being a wuss and get them checked over.

I dont eat much sugary shit though, and look after my teeth.

£17 for the checkup and £35 for a private Oral hygienist follow up. Teeth a-ok other than that :)

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
My dad goes private and he pays about £80 just for a checkup, I think a crown is about £300+. Fucking rip off, Dentists are all loaded for a good reason.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Don't like to brag but my teeth are perfect, not even one fucking filling or extraction.

Guess that is bragging, oh well :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Can diabetes affect your teeth too? It's a bitch.

Yeah in a way, it's kind of like an added dose of coke/sugar/alcohol to your teeth as you actually spit out acid ;)

Nothing a regular scrubbing and a brushing won't clear mind you, but it does add to problems.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Think its 10 years now for my last dental exam, but have no problem, my teeth are not complete white since i dont use whitening toothpaste, but i brush each day, and use mouth wash, i floss, i can drink warm and directly munch icecream etc etc. But im thinking of goin now since we got a real sexy latina working at the densist now. :D

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Well they saved the tooth and sorted all the cavities :) Total cost £141

Got some nice white fillings at the front too that you cant even see are fillings, ok two fell out but they replaced em for free.

Also a root canal was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, I was so numbed form the anaesthetic that it was more the sensation of them "scrubbing" out the root that was odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom