Help a poor uni student...

E

Eggy

I'm currently at a UK uni.

Currently the only means of connectivity to the internet is via 56k (when I'm in my room anyway). As well as a 1p/min paying isp to access the whole net etc, the uni supplies a free dialup service, which allows me to access anything in the uni web domain, as well as email etc. With the help of an anonymous source, I can access the net through this free isp, using a SSH2 tunellier program.

However, I can only access http it seems, as camelot/irc/ftp does not work. Now, I don't know enough about ports etc to be able to work out how to try and fix this problem, all my attempts have failed.

Here are screenshots of the tunellier program, I was wondering if anyone knew how I could make it work for daoc, or at least irc?

http://www.geocities.com/eggyforky

I have covered up some text from the screenshots, such as user names/passwords etc, but this shouldn't affect any help anyone can give :)

Note: please don't move this post to a tech forum, as nobody actualy goes there.

A

Aule Valar

download sockscap (search yahoo for it) and use this program to run daoc though the tunnel.
you'll need to know the ip to set things that use the tunnel to to configure socks cap though (should say in readme), if the tunnel is anything like mine lag will be pretty huge at peak times in busy areas, its okay for crafting though
if your uni has a server thats slightly less restricted to run icq etc through like mine then just run daoc thgough there with sockscap and lag will hardly ever trouble you :)
which uni you at?

C

.Cask

Move out into a private house and get broadband :)

E

Eggy

Originally posted by Aule Valar
download sockscap (search yahoo for it) and use this program to run daoc though the tunnel.
you'll need to know the ip to set things that use the tunnel to to configure socks cap though (should say in readme), if the tunnel is anything like mine lag will be pretty huge at peak times in busy areas, its okay for crafting though
if your uni has a server thats slightly less restricted to run icq etc through like mine then just run daoc thgough there with sockscap and lag will hardly ever trouble you :)
which uni you at?

Great! I'll test it out now and see if I can get it working. Bit unsure as what IP you are talking about, but I'll fiddle around with the program.

Don't wanna say uni on here cos I know some people play DAOC, and this is probably highly against uni rules (don't wanna get fucked over) :)

E

Eggy

Can you help me with the settings cant get the bastard to work!

A

Aule Valar

set sockscap to run daoc first, then go to file settings, set socks server 5, put the option think to try local then default, the socks server and port option (the ip thing) need to be set to whatever the tunnel is, the tunnel should have a readme or webby that says what this is for programs that you configure to use it, just put the ip in the socks server and port in the port bit

A

Aule Valar

just had a look at the screens and i think the socks server is 127.0.0.1 and the port is 8080

also if your tunnel has this option, your proxy does not support the connect option

nb. i don't actually know what any of this shit means, but i poked it until it worked and got there in the end :)

F

froler-mid

My uni gives me free 100mbit line

:m00:

:bazbeer:

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Change uni's. English uni's suck for providing their precious students (and they are precious from a uni's p.o.v.) with nowt but 56k. If you can stomach the people then go to america where they all have broadband in comfy dorms. :)

A

alithiel50

Nottingham put in a campus-wide network just before I started my second year... It got nerfed shortly after I graduated when they did an analysis of its usage and felt it had been over-used for 'non-educational' purposes... :p

E

Eggy

Well, I actually have a network connection in my room also which hasn't been connected yet, thats a SuperJanet4 connection, which will be active next year.

xx

E

Eggy

Nope, still cant get the little bastard to work :(

Must be doing something stupid

Users who are viewing this thread