Hello :)

A

Allen

Hi I just got Dark Age of Camelot and the expansion back Shrouded Isles, after flicking throught the booklet and afew websites I decided to go Albion. :)

However I'm not sure which class I should go, I want to make a Fighter but I'm not too sure which would be better Armsman or Paladin ?

Could anyone give me advice which one of these would be best for me to go, and any other tips and pointers for the new guy, thanks :p

P

Pin

Originally posted by Allen
However I'm not sure which class I should go, I want to make a Fighter but I'm not too sure which would be better Armsman or Paladin ?

Could anyone give me advice which one of these would be best for me to go, and any other tips and pointers for the new guy, thanks :p

Hi.

And roll a Mercenary.

A

adari

Hi I just got Dark Age of Camelot and the expansion back Shrouded Isles, after flicking throught the booklet and afew websites I decided to go Albion. :)

Fuck that, roll a merc :p

O

old.Ramas

Current conventional thinking on tank selection says 'not an armsman'.

Merc for the best conventional rvr melee.
Paladin for group utility and pve raiding.
Reaver for 'ooh shiny' knobs and whistles.

Good luck and welcome to alb.

L

leoric

Welcome to Alb mate

Dont bother with Arm/Pala, Roll a merc :)

S

sheepseyes

merc or reaver
pallys only good for end regen :(

forget shield go dual wied

H

Halcyon

Welcome

ill give you abit more info....

Arms is your big dmg dealer. then can be ok, but not many people go for them these days. no spells, just your weapon.

Pala is great you got some good chants, like endurance which people always like in a grp. Your more defensive than a arms but you can still do good dmg. They are good fun.

Reaver, now i just started one, they seem great fun atm but they are a hybird tank so you got area effect spells and your dmg.

merc duel weilding tank, never tried one to be honest but i heard they are ok dmg dealers.

if i was you i would go pala. good class to start the game with.

A

Allen

If I decided to go Mercenary which combat style is best suited to them ? Slash Crush or Thrust ? :/

L

leoric

If I decided to go Mercenary which combat style is best suited to them ? Slash Crush or Thrust ? :/

Same boat as me mate, But i hear alot go thrust nowadays :)
And so i went thrust, An i dont regret it :spin:

H

Halcyon

upto you really

im a slash person, but thrust is good.

O

old.Ramas

Slash for levelling up, then reassess when you get to level 50.

If you were reaching the rvr levels today recieved wisdom tells us that thrust is uber. Truth is that may or may not be the case by the time you reach level 50.

Either way, single line respecs aren't that hard to come by any more.

D

Draylor

There are mercs of all 3 damage types doing just fine with it. Difficult for you to know which youll prefer from the start - so pick one and see how it works out. Theres always the chance to change available at level 20 and 40 if you change your mind while levelling.

A mercenary isnt the easiest choice for a new player (total lack of defence at low levels) but assuming you get past that it should work out fine.

S

Silenzio

make a merch n spec him full crush n DW...

later (after 48) u will chose if worth to keep crush

or respech slash/thrust

thrust= i good cuz most armour ov ur enemy r neutral or weak to this damage, and ur weapon skill is basend on 2 stat not onlyone

slash= could be good since have easyer/better anytime style

crush= dont like it alot =) but rlly good to lvl and earn autotrain

now the point is... Wich Race? *grin*

D

Definitely

One thing to say, i am levelling a cleric in a regular grp and personally i hate having a mercenary in exping group, their defense is simply shit and takes alot of power to keep em alive.
Their damage in PvE doesn't mean much as it's still up to nukers.

In RvR, where nukers are poo without damage debuff these days, mercs are cool there :)

Pallies are always needed imo, at least for PvE, in RvR i'd only have 1 max per group as their damage isn't enough to kill fast and effectively, that's for mercs and armsmen :)

I would personally make a hybrid arms :p

50 pole, 39 damage type (thrust), 42 shield, 6 parry :)

Just whatever class You make, spec shield till level 40 and the nrespec to whatever u want, it saves clerics alot of nerve cells :)

(smilie overdrive)

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by Halcyon
Welcome

ill give you abit more info....

Arms is your big dmg dealer. then can be ok, but not many people go for them these days. no spells, just your weapon.

Pala is great you got some good chants, like endurance which people always like in a grp. Your more defensive than a arms but you can still do good dmg. They are good fun.

Reaver, now i just started one, they seem great fun atm but they are a hybird tank so you got area effect spells and your dmg.

merc duel weilding tank, never tried one to be honest but i heard they are ok dmg dealers.

if i was you i would go pala. good class to start the game with.

Pally is not a good class to start the game with imho - simply because you have to set about learning to combine combos of chants - when u prolly much rather just waste things and not have to worry about it.

go MERC ! :)

G

gwal

Originally posted by sheepseyes
merc or reaver
pallys only good for end regen :(

forget shield go dual wied

I dare u to a duel, and u´ll learn that end chant aint the only thing a pally can do :)

but yeah, go merc.

F

-fwapp-

Originally posted by gwal
I dare u to a duel, and u´ll learn that end chant aint the only thing a pally can do :)

but yeah, go merc.

what if hes a decent rvr char? then ull be eating ur words :p

yeah pally can also.... hit for 70 dmg :]

F

-frostor-

Originally posted by tripitaka
Pally is not a good class to start the game with imho - simply because you have to set about learning to combine combos of chants - when u prolly much rather just waste things and not have to worry about it.

go MERC ! :)

thats what u learn while u exp

M

medowind

Well I think its more important to get a good guild in first, then even if you don’t like the char you still have people to help the change :p

C

cleeve

Originally posted by Definitely
One thing to say, i am levelling a cleric in a regular grp and personally i hate having a mercenary in exping group, their defense is simply shit and takes alot of power to keep em alive.
Their damage in PvE doesn't mean much as it's still up to nukers.

I find that amazing - I normally group with mercs/infils and I don't usually have a problem maintaining the aggro Heal chant and end twisted normally guarantees me aggro all the time. A good pally with guard on the merc (as he will no doubt be the highest aggro getter in the group) and heal chanting should see you only having to give the odd heal out, even at low levels.

C

P

Puppetmistress

All those people saying 'make a mercenary' etc are people who focus on RvR and the end-game.

Being new to DAOC means you have to level to 50 and have to learn quite abit about DAOC etc before you go RvR with 'great success'.

Mercenaries are a bitch to level, especially during the low levels where they got no defense. As a result it goes horribly slow, you will die alot and the game can get boring then.

Being new to the game also means you can't afford the best of the best armour, receive powerlevel and grouping might be hard at the moment because every level 50 can get a free level 20 where you have to level yourselves to 20.

Looking at your initial choices: Armsman or Paladin. For PvE (Player versus Envirionment, basically the XP'ing and the levelling to 50 and cash-farming) a paladin is the better choice there. While he might do less damage he gets all sorts of stuff to aid him in combat.

I would advice you to start a paladin, race: Highlander/Briton. 10 points in Strength, Constitution, Dexterity. Once you hit level 5 you can become a paladin and spec both Chants and Shield 'quite close to your level' while levelling up slash too.

Once you're level 20 you get the ability to wear plate-armour and the fun begins really.

Good luck!

D

darbey

Good post puppet , would say exactly the same myself.

N

Naewae

Ditto Puppet. I rolled a Paladin for my first character and have never regretted it for an moment. Still my favourite too.

T

Tilda

If you need any advice or help, feel free to PM Tildai in game, just incase you dont know how, type:

/send Tildai Hello !

I can probably find you a little cash and armour to keep you going ;)

Tilda

P

Puppetmistress

Originally posted by Naewae
Ditto Puppet. I rolled a Paladin for my first character and have never regretted it for an moment. Still my favourite too.

Hehe, I rolled a caster (theurgist) because I knew money would become an issue for me in a new game.

To avoid high armor/weapon-costs I made theurgist ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom