hello music buffs

T

Testin da Cable

Busted voted 'best band in the world ever'

oh, the humanity :(
source: ananova

who would be your 'bestist band eva'? I'm personally a bit torn, as there is no single band that I prize highly enough to say that they owned hard. ten years ago I'd have said "Perl Jam", as ten years ago I thought much of them. since then my tastes have undergone change and growth. there is no singlemost best band in the world. wotchoo fink eh?

N

Nibbler

For me, its a toss up between REM, Radiohead, The Smiths and Nirvana

...and Busted, natch.

E

echo

Between;

The Clash, Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, Beatles (naturally) and Floyd maybe

M

maxi--

There's no singleband for me either, there are a few of bands that mean a lot to me, but it all depends how i am....

but those few that mean a lot are:

The Velvet Underground
The Beach Boys
Belle & Sebastian

there have been more, once, Radiohead would have been top by miles, but i find listening to their stuff pretty hard these days,

B&S probably MEAN the most to me, they certainly have done more for me than any other band has, or ever will, I'd say...but their later work has let them down...and they're begining to fade, but they'll never be replaced.

The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson has done a lot of drugs in his life, he also took some time out to compose the greatest pop song of all time, in Good Vibrations, and the greatest album of all time too, in Pet Sounds.

Pet Sounds stands out in my collection, it is so much better than ANYTHING I have ever heard, I didn't like it at first, then, after a few months, i loved it. A few months later, it dawned on me that there are, probably, very few records like this in existence...and none of them mean as much to me, as Pet Sounds does.

The Velvet Underground are responsible for some amazing music, and for influencing nearly every band that i love today.

maybe The Smiths, too.

E

echo

Agreed on Pet Sounds, took me ages to 'get' that, if that's the right word.. It's a firm favourite now though, sheer brilliance. I'm not 100% sure about Belle & Sebastian to be honest, but agree on Velvets :D

A

Aoami

LOL @ Busted, what a disgrace that is :/

I would go for ABBA or The Stranglers.

J

Jonaldo

Pop - The Beatles
Rock - Pearl Jam
Dance - The Prodigy
Soul - Marvin Gaye

M

maxi--

i gotta say

'what's going on' is a FUCKING amazing album, one of my favourites.

F

FatBusinessman

I would have to say Radiohead - whether you look at technical prowess, originality or what music industry professionals term "bein' fuckin' good", Radiohead = w1n :D

S

Sir Frizz

There are few bands/artists i particularly like because of their music. I'm more focused on an individual song (Skee Lo's - I Wish for example).

Otherwise;

Michael Jackson (pre mid nineties)
Queen
Blondie

And that's it. :)

T

throdgrain

Best - Radiohead, or Led Zepelin.

My favorite evah -Sex Pistols

G

GDW

On your feet or on your knees babeee, for me it has to be...

the amazing...

BLUE OYSTER CULT

(Followed closely by Westlife of course)

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Aoami
LOL @ Busted, what a disgrace that is :/

Just for those who didn't read the link, there are also catagories for "Most fanciable male/female" at the Smash Hit Awards, therefore, don't take it personallly ;)

And yeah, just to be original, I'm going to say Radiohead as well, if only because I'm still on an awe trip from the gig last month. A slightly more historical look may come soon :)

E

ECA

I vote for mas to be removed from the smashits awards.

X

Xtro 2.0

MC5 or Throbbing Gristle or Dead Kennedys or Killing Joke.

No way could I choose.

T

Tom

'Best Band' would mean 'most enjoyable songs' and 'highest level of consistency regarding quality', I would give that award to The Beatles. Its hard to think of another band that started out good, got better, then went good again, then went amazingly shit hot, then faded out to just plain good again.

C

Cpt. Paranoia

With the exception of Golden Lights, which is an atrocity and Moz even purposely sabotaged it so it shouldn't count anyway, The Smiths never released a crap song imo. Most consistent band ever, provided their egotistical lead singer isn't trying to ruin songs!

M

maxi--

are you firmly in the Marr camp of Smiths fans then?

I don't think im in either camp, I dont't like much Electronic stuff, i ADORE some Morrissey stuff(suedehad,every day is like sunday, interesting drug etc), but, as much as i look up to the botg of them, i don't really idolise either of them.

C

Cpt. Paranoia

Originally posted by maxi--
are you firmly in the Marr camp of Smiths fans then?

I don't think im in either camp, I dont't like much Electronic stuff, i ADORE some Morrissey stuff(suedehad,every day is like sunday, interesting drug etc), but, as much as i look up to the botg of them, i don't really idolise either of them.

I have to say, I've never heard any of Marr's solo stuff and I do like Morrissey's solo stuff (Suedehead, as you say, is class) but I don't think even the most ardent of Smiths fans can deny that Moz was a bit of a tit.

It was the equal partnership really, you can't do one without the other.

Users who are viewing this thread