Health concerns

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I know there are a few medical folks lurking so I thought I'd post for some input. Fot the past few hours I have had a numbness, like pins and needles, in the 4th and 5th fingers of my left hand, which seems determined to not go despite flexing and rubbing my hands to try to aid circulation. Anyone else had something like this?

Could this be a side-effect of taking SSRI tablets?

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
In work we are having an growing problem with RSI related injuries. You sure it's not how you are using your PC? The little finger on my right hand goes dead for a while at work (have to repeatedly hit enter key) and its similar to how you describe.

Venus (my gf nurse) says it sounds like some sort of RSI injury and keep on flexing it. As soon as it starts stop using keyboard to ease the discomfort. If it continues see your GP, but do remember smoking does inhibit your blood circulation, so any form of this type of injury will be worse for you than say SAS who is non-smoker.

Basically it's not life threatening, try not to worry to much and there's not a lot you can do about it :(

Cyfr

Banned
Jupitus said:
I know there are a few medical folks lurking so I thought I'd post for some input. Fot the past few hours I have had a numbness, like pins and needles, in the 4th and 5th fingers of my left hand, which seems determined to not go despite flexing and rubbing my hands to try to aid circulation. Anyone else had something like this?

Could this be a side-effect of taking SSRI tablets?

Often got by drunks who sleep with their elbow on the bar and head in hand. I had it from teh way I used the pc, should go away in a few weeks ;)

UKTwister

Fledgling Freddie
Yes could be due to continuous PC use.

I suffer from this a lot in my right hand with a burning sensation followed by some pretty intense pins and needles. I think i've pinned it down to guitar playing.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
When I move or flex my right wrist*, it sounds like a big bag of biscuits and spanners and being rattled around.

Hurrah for RSI? :(

*First person to mention wanking wins a prize.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Ask somebody to touch your finger, to see if its nice and warm like it should be. It sounds much more like a nerve issue to me, try flexing more than you finger, try your wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
tRoG said:
When I move or flex my right wrist*, it sounds like a big bag of biscuits and spanners and being rattled around.

Hurrah for RSI? :(

*First person to mention wanking wins a prize.

wank wank wank wank!!

whats the prize!! gimmie gimmie gimmie

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
dead_rat.jpg

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
cool, a new sex toy! wh00p! fun tonight :clap:

dr_jo

Fledgling Freddie
I'd have to agree with everyone else about the RSI.
It doesn't sound like an SSRI side effect. I've not suffered from it/heard of it, and I've taken most of them at one time or another.

Has it improved at all?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi all, thanks for your comments/help.

It's still there, unchanged so far despitew gentle massaging, different activity rather than using the pc and rest. The SSRI apparentlymay have tingling as a withdrawal effect, but not a side-effect when taking it actively so I think this RSI suggestion is most likely.

Gonna try and rest it some more... thanks again.

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
I used to get this now and again. It's always rsi from the mouse or kb for me. Rest is pretty much the only thing you can do. I tended to get a 'strained tendon' feeling up my wrist, as well as the numb/tingling little finger. I have a kb and mouse mat with wrist support at work now and they seem to have done the trick. A few hours of q3ctf using the everglide still does it no good though ....... but at least I can blame something! ;)

Cyfr

Banned
Jupitus said:
Hi all, thanks for your comments/help.

It's still there, unchanged so far despitew gentle massaging, different activity rather than using the pc and rest. The SSRI apparentlymay have tingling as a withdrawal effect, but not a side-effect when taking it actively so I think this RSI suggestion is most likely.

Gonna try and rest it some more... thanks again.
If its what I had, give up resting now, your gona have it for like 3weeks at least ;)

Tilda

Well, spoke to me mother. Apparently 4th and 5th are served by the Ulnar(sp) nerve which goes around the outside of your arm. She suggested that perhaps if you were resting the hollow underneath your elbow on a table or chair arm that may cause the numbness.

http://www.orthoteers.co.uk/Nrujp~ij33lm/Images10/nervesulnar.gif

She thinks is unlikeley to be tablet related as that would probably effect both hands.
Assuming it is nerve pressure thats the cause, the time it takes for it to go away depends of if its just pressure or if you've bruised the nerve, if its a bruise it could take a few days to go away.

She says its possible its RSI, but unlikeley as she think then you get pain across the top of your hand.

The usual disclaimer, that me nor my family are not in any way responsible for your health or well being and as such cannot be held responsible for any affects resulting from our advice!

Hope you feel better soon Jup

Tilda

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Waves and thanks Mrs TildaMum person:)

The-Don

Loyal Freddie
If it's not already been mentioned, this sounds very much like carpal tunnel syndrome (A form of RSI) :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
The-Don said:
If it's not already been mentioned, this sounds very much like carpal tunnel syndrome (A form of RSI) :)

Thanks,The-Don... actually my mother in law mentioned this and I'm reading up on it a bit ;)

Will

/bin/su
Tilda said:
...4th and 5th are served by the Ulnar(sp) nerve which goes around the outside of your arm. She suggested that perhaps if you were resting the hollow underneath your elbow on a table or chair arm that may cause the numbness.
The numbness is very common for road cyclists. I wear some very sexy fingerless gloves to prevent it, especially since I lost feeling in my 1st and 2nd fingers (different nerve, similar cause). All fine since I got them. I don't know if you tend to lean on your hands, or rest your forearms on the edge of the desk, but that might be the cause.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Carpal tunnel affects the other fingers in your hand but not the end of your ring finger or your little finger. There is another thing which is like it that affects your little finger and ring finger. I get it in my left hand as well and was looking at it on google the other day. I get it when i wake up in the morning which is common usually its gone in an hour or so. Apparently if you don't get it sorted it gets worse and you get burning sensations in your hand.

Ah found it. Its called Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. Take a look at this. there are some other good sites if you google it.

http://www.indianahandcenter.com/medical_cubital.html

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
carpal tunnel is serious and i would take steps now to stop it if it is what you have.

my mum has it in both hands and has had to have 3 operations to get the fluid drained from inside. now her hands dont work like they should and they arnt strong anymore so she cant grip stuff sometimes. she also has really numb hands when she wakes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom