HDDs

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Might as well throw this open to the floor (as it were)...

Anyone used/own 15krpm disks? I'm thinking to get one - used to have one, it's dead now, thinking about replacing.
Any makes/models you found particularly good? Mainly interested in performance and noise. Size will probably be a 36GB, ultra-scsi obviously (LVD not FCA).

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Any actual experience? I've read plenty of reviews (maxtor atlas 15k II looks best from what I've seen). The 15K.3 is old now anyway, if I were to buy a seagate it would be the 15k.4. ;)

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
Maxtor is poop actually. My dad is a sysadmin in an ISP company, says Maxtors fail much more often than Seagate.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I like the idea of scsi but personally I just find it not worth it :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
5 year warranty though, and I don't store critical data on it really. If it goes pop, I'll RMA. :l

I already have a scsi controller so this isn't too much of an expense really.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Raid solves a different problem. My motherboard already has 2(!) onboard RAID controllers as it is. RAID helps with sequential speeds, but it doesn't lower access times which is really the point of a fast disk like a 15k rpm. 3ms seek time on the maxtor smokes anything you can connect to a SATA controller by a large margin.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Those controllers also require 64-bit PCI, which I don't have. :p

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I dabbled with SCSI a while back in the BW days.

I had a couple of Compaq 10k, 2 Fujitsu 10k and 2 HP/Compaq 15k drives.

They never failed me but but didnt strike me as being much quicker than the IDE stuff I was running (this could be due to the Adaptec card I was using *shrug*) and OMG were they rowdy.

Ive still got them all somewhere.......

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah my old 15k drive was silly loud. The latest 15k drives are using fluid dynamic bearings though which should lower the noise a lot (especially the high pitched whine which I really dislike). My current SATA drives are FDB and they are really quiet.

Oh yeah drive arrived today - I took a punt on a random company I've never used before (www.cclonline.com), ordered yesterday at 4:30 drive turned up at 7:30 this morning. :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Danya said:
Raid solves a different problem. My motherboard already has 2(!) onboard RAID controllers as it is. RAID helps with sequential speeds, but it doesn't lower access times which is really the point of a fast disk like a 15k rpm. 3ms seek time on the maxtor smokes anything you can connect to a SATA controller by a large margin.

yeah, but the sequental reads and writes will roxxor your pants off tbh. and besides, I don't believe a human can tell the difference between 3ms and 8ms :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
You can when your disk does 1000 seeks. :p 3s vs 8s is a big diff. I currently have 2 7200 rpms in RAID 0, the sequential speed is nice (can get to about 120mb/s), but it's a lot less responsive than my old scsi system. New drive is in the machine now, it;s way quieter than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom