Question @Hawkwind, Dubai during Ramadan

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I been reading various conflicting information, i have leave booked for end of august/early sept and was going to head over and visit Dubai

But turns out my holiday falls into Ramadan time, are there any special rules when it is that time of year?

Some people were posting on boards you can't even drink water when on the beach, which i find kind of difficult to believe

Any info on the subject is much appreciated

Cheers in advance

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I can confirm that Hawkwind is a man.

Could say you are Diabetic if anyone gives you a dodgy look whilst scoffing a pie.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Although we know Hawkwind is in Dubai, maybe another English person etc lives in Dubai who also browses Off Topic?

Fair enough, but when you're giving legal'ish information(not board stuff), the answer "you're not local" isn't really nice :(

Chronictank

FH is my second home
spot on bah:m00:

Fair enough, but when you're giving legal'ish information(not board stuff), the answer "you're not local" isn't really nice :(

wasn't meant in a rude way, but the first link didn't really answer my question :p

Some sites say you can drink on the hotel beaches (nothing alcoholic obviously), others say that it is banned in all public places.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, the UK site sad to avoid it. So, i guess avoiding it would be a good way to go.

Or is this a case of "i'll be polite only if the law demands it" :D

gohan

FH is my second home
fuck polite if ur paying like 2k to holiday in dubai as long as its not illigal drink and eat till ur fat and full \0/

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
fuck polite if ur paying like 2k to holiday in dubai as long as its not illigal drink and eat till ur fat and full \0/

Now i do want to take this into a whole discussion of "this from same people who want people to act according to british standards when they're in britain". But i think that's self-evidentally silly :D

gohan

FH is my second home
Now i do want to take this into a whole discussion of "this from same people who want people to act according to british standards when they're in britain". But i think that's self-evidentally silly :D

different living somewhere than holidaying thier

not saying go eat a massive lump of pork in their face but as long as ur not beaking any laws why shouldn't u eat and drink, its not your religion

pikeh

Resident Freddy

not saying go eat a massive lump of pork in their face but as long as ur not beaking any laws why shouldn't u eat and drink, its not your religion

See, thats what gives brits abroad a bad name tbh.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Never been to Saudi, but Istanbul during Ramadan is great. Packed to the rafters full of people it really adds to the atmosphere of the place. The all night partying and eating is pretty cool.

Religious sensibilities are quite high during the period though, so I'd suggest eating and drinking in moderation or privately during the day. When in Rome do as the Romans and all that.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

It's not actually that different.

You're a guest, which means, you should be even more polite.

And i think we need another thread for this, hang on...

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I been reading various conflicting information, i have leave booked for end of august/early sept and was going to head over and visit Dubai

But turns out my holiday falls into Ramadan time, are there any special rules when it is that time of year?

Some people were posting on boards you can't even drink water when on the beach, which i find kind of difficult to believe

Any info on the subject is much appreciated

Cheers in advance

I'm going to be in Dubai for a couple of days around the end of august, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff though.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
That's silly - not allowed to drink - you're in one of the hottest countries, and you have a swig of water, otherwise you'll collapse, then you get the police on you? - wtf.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Hi Chronic, Sorry reply is a bit late. Working some odd hours at the moment.

Ramadam in Dubai is a bit odd during Ramadam. Shops are open but you cannot consume food or beverage. In the malls the food courts and restaurants are all closed. Bars and restaurants are open after Ifta (sundown).

If you do drink or eat in public you can be arrested. For tourists this is usually a slap on the wrist and ride back to the hotel. However there have been cases of people being put in jail and then deported.

Personally I like Ramadam, we finish work 2 hours earlier every day and lots of Pool Parties and BBQ's at teh weekends. Although August is bloody hot but still fun.

It is worth trying an Ifta buffet meal at any of the various hotels, the food is all authentic local and its quite different.

btw temp right now is 45+ with 90% humidity!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

In Dubai Ramadam is known by expats as Hamadam. Bacon is to be consumed on each of the 28 days! I'm sure Dukat would approve.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Chronic and Moose, pm if you have any spare evenings whilst here. I'll pass you my contact details if you fancy a few beers and show you some of the bars you won't see in the guidebooks <nod, nod, wink, wink> 'know what I mean!'

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
ninjatdm.jpg

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Chronic and Moose, pm if you have any spare evenings whilst here. I'll pass you my contact details if you fancy a few beers and show you some of the bars you won't see in the guidebooks <nod, nod, wink, wink> 'know what I mean!'

will do mate :), although miami is beginning to look better tho ><
90% humidity argh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom