Fledgling Freddie
System
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
1Gig DDR RAM
Geforce FX 5700 ultra
X2-120GIG HD
Windows XP home edition
-------------------------
Im pretty certain I have killed my geforce fx 5700 ultra but just wanted more knowledgeable peoples opinions so here goes..

My card was over clocked by a plug-in that works with the nvidia properties manager. I had only clocked it to the "recommended" settings and all has been well since (about a week). However today after playing CSS for many an hour up until now. the screen froze and these lines vertical lines(|||) appeared randomly over the screen.

On restarting in the boot sequence the lines were there still! and once windows is about to start (after showing windows logo ) the monitor looses the signal displaying a message that no signal is being detected.

My comp is able to get to windows safe mode where i uninstalled the card and reinstalled after restart. But results in the same problem.

I have tried using another monitor resulting in the same problems and also using a different gfx card (so I know it isnt my mother brd) that works fine.

I think its dead and I may just have to cry. any advice would be greatly appreciated

if it is knackered. Any gfx card recommendations would be swell thanks. (haven’t made a budget yet but over 200quid I imagine ill have to spend to get anything good)

Asharith

Loyal Freddie
That sucks man :(...

Not sure if its broken, but if it is these 2 cards have a good price/performance rate

1: 6600gt agp

or when you feel lucky and have moderate pc knowledge the;

2: 6800LE agp you can unlock 8 extra pipelines and 2 extra shaders on this baby with a program called rivatuner. If your lucky they work just fine, but somtimes they are damaged and you cant use them ( if you can unlock 1 set of 4 pipelines its much much faster then the 6600gt if you cant the 6600gt is a bit better )

Both the cards are under 200 euros...

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
sounds good to me! tbh i dont have that much experience over clocking (probably why i just trashed my card..) but meh... iv worked out that i can spend around £300-£350. no point buying a slow ass card just to update again in 6months. thanks for the help and i have just one more question... Nvida or ATI?

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
ATI atm. GeForce needs to make a new generation card to get back into the race again imo. OCing... will never do that... not worth the trouble but that's me.

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
oh and my mb is a Chaintech VNF3-250.. 8x/4x agp slot

Gray

FH is my second home
What about attempting to use other drivers from the nvidia site?

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
I would try but because the vertical lines appear on the boot up i assume it isnt really a driver problem ooh err :(

Gray

FH is my second home
had the lines kicking in just after i got my new TFT monitor, scared me to bits...

First it was just as XP was loading up normally so i couldnt get in, but access safe mode to remove drivers and everything was fine. Then it took a huge turn and started after BIOS load which worried me more heh...

Buuut if another card works in it, maybe time for a new card hrm!

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
:( boohoo
im gonna try and plug it in my dads computer 2morrow just to be doubly sure, but thanks for the help ppl!

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Go nvidia

the 6800gt or ultra just about trashes the x800's in most tests I have seen. I upgraded just after the release of Hl2 and even with me being a massive ati fanboy I just couldn't see the point in shipping £350 plus vat in a card that is beaten by a card that costs £280 +vat

6800gt wise the best on the market atm is probably the bfg version but that is a pain in the arse to find. Other than that the asus cards are supposed to be very good. I was impatient so I grabbed an MSI jobby and I am very happy with it.

M

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
I just ordered the Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6600 GT(AGP) quite a good price at over lockers. It turn out my budget wasn’t as big as I thought hehe... Thanks for the advice ppl, :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
Khale said:
ATI atm. GeForce needs to make a new generation card to get back into the race again imo. OCing... will never do that... not worth the trouble but that's me.
Wow. Just wow.

Necromancer

Fledgling Freddie
i have a Gforce 5200 when i play daoc i get crashes and always encounters problems after a while i have it on reccemend like you. :(

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
It may mean nothing, but I had a similar problem when I changed from a CRT to a TFT but new drivers sorted it out.

I had a GF 5200 AGP

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Have you tried reflashing the video card bios?

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Have you tried reflashing the video card bios?

I didn’t try that no...hmmm really probably should of before buying this 6600GT but wasn’t aware that the 5700 had one I could do anything with.
I did however try the card in one of my other computers and plugged in my CRT monitor, but no joy :(

Thanks for the advice :worthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom