Have any of you played Q3 Arena on Dreamcast yet?

O

old.skulker1

Hi there i am new to this site as i have only recently bought a PC and have just started online gaming. I also have a Dreamcast and recently have hardly touched my PC as and i have been busy playing Quake vs all of the other Dreamcast users. I wanted to ask if any of you guys have played it and if so what do you think in contrast to the PC version.

To me the major advantages of the Dreamcast version are the following: you only need to spend about £180 to play, there is absolutely no lag, and it is piss easy to setup. However i am sure that it is not as 'deep' as the PC version.

What are your thoughts? or am i being out of order asking you dedicated PC gamers about a lowly console?

Skulker

R

*r2k

My copy of Q3 for the DC is coming with the mouse :)
It's quite good for what the power of the DC can do actually.

O

old.brock landers

might buy meself 1, and compete with fellow "newbies"

hehe,

when are the dc/pc compatible maps comin out(should be a laugh)

cheers, brock

p.s welcome all dc owners to this addictive life sapping "sport"

O

old.FlameTop

PCers and DCers will not be able to meet until the next PC point release. That brings the net code into line.

FT

G

...and I reckon two weeks after that the dreamcast owners will avoid playing with PC owners!

O

old.Davehart

the DC version would be pilling better fps than this PC ffs

O

old.Delboy

Here's something you might want to look at

It's an interview with Thresh and Maka as they try to get to grips with Quake3 on Dreamcast.

http://www.gamers.com/s/feature/001015-dcq3/index

Yep, Dreamcast users will want to stay away from PC users if they come face to face for various reasons.

One thing about the Dreamcast users, u can be sure they aint got any bots or hacked paks, thats for sure. Unless your make an altered copy of the CD somehow.

X

xenon2000

I heard somewhere that Q3A was coming out on the GameBoyAdvanced when its released. Anyone know if this is true? I'm so gonna get a GBA if it is!

O

old.sjp

hohoho nice joke xenon2000 :)

only one question tho, Davehart, what do you mean by "the DC version would be pilling better fps than this PC ffs" ?

not sure if you play on a 486 but i would have thought u managed more then 60fps :p

O

old.Quorthon

Also, AFAICR from that Thresh/Maka interview Delboy mentioned above, the DC version really chugged at certain points in the game because u are not able to change graphics settings like u can with the PC version. THus when large amounts of carnage filled the screen, the thing slowed down to a crawl. (please correct me if I am wrong on this)

Q

O

old.Quorthon

Another thing, whats the story with mods on the DC?

I love Q3 now because of the quality mods that are available (mainly RA3 :D) but the basic game is well....er...basic to say the least. I presume the DC players will be unable to play the mods available to the PC version?

Q

O

old.FlameTop

Well they sure cant download them into the nice DC memory cards (please insert RA3 card 9,876 now) :)

I suppose Atari could package the popular mods up on an add-on disc, but the problem there as we know is that these mods tend to get a new version once every 5 mins. Plus new maps etc.

The only real solution would be for the disc to be a regular update via a magazine front cover, ala PC. But TBH I cant see that happening.

FT

O

old.skulker1

I can see that you guys have some very valid points about this game, I agree that the lack of options and mods does limit the game a little. However the reason I love this on DC is that the online play really is fluid. If you look back to Chu Chu Rocket you would not have thought this game possible! I also bought a mouse today, so i will be busy practising so that when i can compete against you guys i might stand a chance! See you in the Arena!!

O

old.sjp

hmmm,

actually i think the dcast has a hard disk in it (a samll one that is :)), so i guess they could download/store mods/pacthes to that ????

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Online on a 33k modem "Fluid" on a crappy service, don't get out much do you;) Excuse my(cough) 50 ping GTS 1gig combo:eek:

O

old.skulker1

Kurt, due to the fact that Sega have dedicated servers running and that all DC's are identical the 33k modem speed really isnt an issue. Also the broadband adapter is coming out in the new year for about £50...then the fun really begins

D

dazzl

No Contest

Yeah....played it earlier on m8s DC......
Result: PC 1 - DC 0

ps the DC mouse sucks!

TDM ne1...Bring It On

O

old.Kurt_Angle

It sounds fun, maybe i should shell out 200 notes on a dreamcast, whats 200 quid when i spend over twice that ammount on gfx cards each year;) No more kids screaming LPB at me:) ohh and playing on a crappy fuzzy tv screen realy turns me on:p But hang on a min, sorry i can't do any of it because i love my Q3 pong so much:eek:

O

Ono

Originally posted by skulker1
Also the broadband adapter is coming out in the new year for about £50...then the fun really begins

LOL. What can I say?! Which New Year?

I have both a DC and PC (Athlon TB 900 + GF2 GTS card) and can honestly say that I will not be buying DC Q3A or HalfLife.

W

Wij

I've just played on the DC version. It's great for a console game but when ur used to the PC version its annoying. Not much more to be said...

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Yes because when you connect to a server over phone line, with a 33k modem, and everybody else is doing the same thing, there's bound to be no lag because everybody has a 33k modem, i think thats what the guy was saying LMAO:eek:. Well plz understand this isn't the way i see it, but hey i don't think iv'e looked digitiser or computer(cough) and video(mainly) games lately;) btw to all the yes we are getting a broadband adapter types, plz remember Everybody would have a broadband connection if they could get the service, Cable modems ect.. are piss to get your hands on, and a cable or DSL service is in many cases far cheaper than a dial up. Iv'e got isdn which after iv'e coined out for the extra rental, and a decent isp for gamming, works out far more expensive than a standard dsl/cable charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom