Has Billing information been compromised

A

AramusM

Can GOA confirm or deny that billing information has been compromised or not, so that if it has ppl can let thier credit card companies know.

S

Scor

Really need to know this too.
HUGE mistake from GOA, not to tell this in their post on their site!!

O

old.CrazyMuppet

Billing and CC stuff isn't handled by GOA... jeez stop being paranoid and just wait for the facts to be told.

S

snoz

Who cares anyway all credit cards are protected against internet fruad ? its not like it would cost us anything

S

speshneeds

Originally posted by old.CrazyMuppet
Billing and CC stuff isn't handled by GOA... jeez stop being paranoid and just wait for the facts to be told.

aglee :)

stuff that process card payments is no where near

H

heilel

I'll stop being paranoid about it when Goa post that it is not a problem.
If it definitely WASN'T a problem, you'd think they'd say so.

T

tris-

who cares if they have the info? all transactions are handled by visa anyway so your insured on it.

T

thegreatest

My cc has a monthly limit of E 250,- or something

so hacker kiss my ass pls...

A

acei

Bibit handles GOA's credit card transactions, so the likelyhood of billing information being stolen is almost zero unless bibit is hacked (seems unlikely)

S

Sarnat

Even if it was, I don't have to worry (much) since my friend's card expiry date is on sunday :eek:

H

heilel

But if they (the hackers) have the Subscription login information for the accounts and you use auto payment, then your credit card information will be (or has been) accessible to them.

F

freewheelin

Well since I had an internet CC fraud perpetrated on me last month .....

on the same CC that I use from DAOC I would love to know from GOA if their player details and information, including CC details, was hacked.

I have had the card cancelled but would like to be able to tell my CC company who they and the police should be questioning for leads.

The fraud was for a large amount and in order for it to go through the fraudster needed to know quite a lot of information about me.

So GOA information needed or my CC company, VISA and the police might be coming to ask you questions.

Yes you are insured against fraud but the company asks you a lot of questions and it takes 4 to 7 days to get a new card. All round it is a pain.

As to stop being paranoid and wait for the facts to be told .... well that's the problem here - zero information from GOA for days, zero customer service. A central part of e-commerce is trust, trust comes from good customer service.

GOA are doing very little to earn or engender our trust here.

Are we all now at risk from CC fraud or worse still identity theft because of GOA's security incompetence.

I work on ecommerce and egovernment IT systems; - identity theft you don't even want to think about.

F

Flimgoblin

freewheelin - learn to read:)

GOA DO NOT HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION THEY DO NOT NOR NEVER HAVE HAD IT.

everything goes through Bibit.

O

old.Noita

From EULA

9. Disclosure of information

We retain and store in particular the data supplied when your Account is opened, with the exception of your bank details, which are held by another company to guarantee complete confidentiality.

However, it is unclear as to whether "bank details" also means other methods and forms of payment. For example, GOA do not have my bank details as I have never supplied them with any information concerning my bank. However, I have supplied their paying agency with my CC details. I would suspect that they do not hold your CC details themselves as the insurance costs would be very high (prohibitively so I would suggest) for a company which, in and of itself, was not a regulated financial institution and therefore not in the "core" business of secure financial data storage like banks, brokerage houses and so on. Personally I would doubt any Insurance company would indemnify a "games" company in such a way.

Now, to examine the hypothetical -

IF GOA were to hold our CC/Bank details personally, they would need to inform us (by way of clause in EULA or other such communication) that this is what they are doing BEFORE we agree to hand those details over to them so we could exercise such choice as may or may not be available to us, eg exercise the right to say no and send a money transfer every 3 months instead for example. They would also need to inform us that they were a registered company in whatever legal jurisdiction they were incorporated in and also that they were regulated and licensed to carry on such sensitive financial data transactions by whatever Banking and Insurance regulatory body operated in the jurisdiction of their incorporation, and also to issue such strong assurances as to the security regimens (encryption and so on) that all such data would be held under as may be applicable under all circumstances.

All in all I would find it highly unlikely that with many more competent resources available for handling e-commerce payments and detail retention that GOA would even WANT to have the added risk and headache of retaining our financial details in any form.

Users who are viewing this thread