Has anyone read "Apt Pupil" ? - Stephen King

M

~Mobius~

I am just curious, because I read it and loved it, then I saw the film and didn't think it was very good (compared the book.)

E

exxxie

Agreed, read the book ages ago.. think it was in a short story collection? 90% of Steven Kings stuff is fantastic to read, and crap to watch.. he just doesnt translate well to film..

I'm sure theres a notable exception somewhere... let m... MISERY! ... now that was Kings best film adaption without question.

I saw a movie version of Low Men in Yellow Coats (first tale from Hearts in Atlantis) the other night on Sky, had Anthony Hopkins in it which made it twice as good as it should have been.

If only pictures could describe a thousand words.

M

~Mobius~

Originally posted by exxxie
Agreed, read the book ages ago.. think it was in a short story collection? 90% of Steven Kings stuff is fantastic to read, and crap to watch.. he just doesnt translate well to film..

Yes, it featured Apt Pupil, Shawshank Redemption, a story about 4 young boys who go on a journey, and also one about a doctor who helps a single mother through her pregnancy. The final story was a bit shit, but the first 3 was great, specially Apt Pupil and Shawshank.

Although I thought Apt Pupil translated badly into a movie, Shawshank Redemption was excellent. :)

E

exxxie

Wow good memory jogger.. the 4 kids was The Body... made into the film 'Stand By Me' .. which was pretty good I recall. Im still puzzling over the 4th tale and I know for a fact I leant the paperback to someone ages ago and never got it back (not that I mind at all... I love sharing books)

N

neo_coldasice

Lonely days up at Edinburgh Castle were spent reading the 4 short stories.

As someone else said the first 3 are fantastic but the last one isnt really that good.

I had seen both the shawshank redemption and the body (stand by me) on film before I read the book. But it was Apt Pupil that had me totally addicted to reading.

Excellant story that was and I also agree the film was a let down.

:)

M

~Mobius~

I will have to look out for the film version of The Body. I thought the 4th story was pointless, I meant it was very short...and well just...shit.
Apt Pupil was excellent though, but I thought they described the boy as having blonde hair "Your typical all american uncle sams boy" or something it was said, then in the film he had brown hair but my thought was that the colour of his hair was one of the reasons the Nazi was drawn to him.

E

exxxie

Apt Pupil the movie fell into that age old trap of not sticking to the original text close enough to portray on film what made the story good in the first place. Thats why you have to admire what Peter Jackson has accomplished with LOTR.

During a moment of clarity I figured the 4th tale.. Breathing Lessons it was called I think. Compared to the other 3 it was a let down your right, you HAVE to recommend the book on the first 3 tales alone tho.. all 3 made into big budget hollywood jobs.. 'Different Seasons' its called.

Users who are viewing this thread