Rant Harry's at it again

Macey

Fledgling Freddie
Im not much of a fan of royalty, dont really see the point of them. But certain royals are at least value for money, Phillip is the best, but Harry is definitely a close second.

This story came out over the weekend BBC NEWS | UK | Prince's racist term sparks anger

Personally it seems to me like the weekend was a bit slow for news and people were clutching at straws, as with the whole Jonathan Ross fiasco and the Top Gear upset a couple of months back.

I cant really see much wrong with what he said, I understand Paki can be used in a derogatorry way, but he clearly wasnt, as my missus so succinctly put it, "its no different than if someone called him a brit" Gotta love the female logic in there.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A tedious non-story. Amongst normal people, rather than politically-correct-cretins-with-an-axe-to-grind; I believe what he was doing is called "banter" and it goes along with "having a sense of humour". And it was three years ago ffs.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
The only thing that pisses me off about this story is that the fact it's even been publicised. Harry's behaviour is well within order as he was, as DaGaffer said, having some banter in an army environment.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Blown up for the sake of it. The manner in which he said it wasn't offensive at all.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Surely the real irony is the kids ginger ffs......

Under the 'new' class system thats puts him at the bottom!!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I like Harry, he seems a decent lad, loved seeing him in that video with a fag in his mouth :D

His grandad would of been proud.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The fact that it was three years ago and he's only being pulled up about it now speaks volumes about the media.

It's like someone calling me sheep-shagger, or me calling someone english saesneg, or calling a Scot Jock. It's a simple word that attaches someone to a place. Any of those terms could be considered racist, but most ordinary NORMAL people take them in the spirit that they're intended.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
i would like to see an interview with said "paki" and lets see what he says about the prince calling him names.

are people seriusly saying rascisms ok as long as you are joking ?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think what people are saying is that if as an individual you choose to be politically correct then fine, but that viewpoint shouldn't be forced onto other people.

A PC person is imho worse to deal with than Jehovah Witnesses because generally the JW will politely and peacefully go away if you say "no thank you"

Uara

Part of the furniture
I think the fact it was 3 years, just shows how pointless this entire news story is!! I bet the guy who got called 'Paki' probably got called it fairly often when he was at Sandhurst etc but it was probably as a nickname than a derogatory term. Its only the fact his dad has suddenly said he's offended by it that its getting blown out of proportion and the News of the World who need someone new to discredit after the whole Kevin Pietersen vs Moores story has ended!!

If we're going down this route, then I want to complain about all the australian newspapers etc that go about calling us Pommies and Pomme's etc

Debaser

One of Freddy's beloved
prince_harry_james_hewitt_2005-04-13.JPG

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Since when was paki that offensive anyway?
A lot of pakistanis use the term themselves anyway.

Yes douchey national front people use the term but whatever, fuck em.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well some black people use n***** to each other but nobody in their right mind would call someone that in public unless you wanted to be beaten up.

In this so called "news story" it looked to me as though he was using "Paki" as a term of endearment and probably speaks to that guy like that all the time. It's just a good way to sell newspapers this stupid story

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
lol it was 3 years ago, what a joke.

racism really depends on the delivery and feeling behind words, not the words themselves.

Trem

I had a conversation with a guy about this the other week.

Paki has always been used where I am, I'm not saying its right or wrong but its just bloody short for Pakistani, I wouldn't give a flying fuck if someone called me Engi.

Its an English name for someone from Pakistan and its been used since day 1, it was even bloody used in Only Fools and Horses.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've been called a paki many a time, and it used to really fuck me off (because it was being used as a derogatory term), but now I just laugh. People tend to call me an arab or a terrorist if they are trying to be insulting these days, more laughs. If they are going to try racial slurs, then at least get the race right.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
now i should really stay away from this type of topic as i hav ebeen banned twice for "racist remarks" but to TRY and prove my point about calling people "paki" or "N****R" watch this below, i think Arti Lange says it all.

i am not condoning anything he says and in the spirit of this thread i do not think anything he says is rascist (he is a standup comic so its meant to be funny)

so, if there any difference between what he is talking about and what the prince said in "his" video

YouTube - Nigger Joke

Trem

I've been called a paki many a time, and it used to really fuck me off (because it was being used as a derogatory term), but now I just laugh. People tend to call me an arab or a terrorist if they are trying to be insulting these days, more laughs. If they are going to try racial slurs, then at least get the race right.

Its thick people mate, they can't come up with anything better.

I think calling someone a paki who isn't a paki, such as an Indian will invoke rage of epic measures. So on that count its best to just call someone a wanker and that covers all races :D

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
its a bullshit story if the guy took offence he would have reported it. or gone to papers etc he could have made thousands from selling a story like that.

question anyone take offence at been called a limey? or a brit? or whingin pom? i dont, just reminds me that im english and frankly im glad of that.

derogatory or not its just the nicknames we have for other countries

funny how harry can say paki and become public enemy no1 and yet a certain religious grp can march through london with headboards saying behead the infedels and frankly much worse and this is allowed because of freedom of speech? WTF.

fuckin PC crew they piss me right off.

seems its only racist these days if a white man says something.

taB

Part of the furniture

Understandable to get annoyed by that, when I was in Asia people always asked if I was American. Used to really piss me off.

Sorry Ch3t, a not too serious response ;)

I do think a lot of it is about context. Rudeness, ignorance and racism all come into it. People seem happy to be ignorant these days :(

I think Trem has the right idea. Everyone's a wanker.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I think being so sensitive about the term "Paki" says a lot about the people who think it shouldn't be said. If someone said to me "you fucking Brit" I wouldn't suddenly feel inferior. The implication is that Pakistani's have something to feel inferior about and by simple virtue of pointing out their heritage, they should be offended. The stupid thing about being hyper aware of these little things is that it makes the situation worse. If people stopped giving so much of a shit about it, it'd most likely just lose its power to offend. By making certain words off limits, you give them that power.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
So does this mean I can no longer go down the 'Paki' shop?

What about a takeaway from the 'Chinky'?

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
From what I saw in the RAF I imagine Harry gets more ginger remarks than this other guy gets racist remarks. Also notice how when this story first came to light the papers mentioned a disrespectful pretend call to the queen. Seriously they all champion the armed forces yet know nothing about them.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's the same kind of attitude that drives idiots to complain about the type of language and banter used in Generation Kill on the IMDB forums. Soldiers use inappropriate and rowdy banter, personally I'm shocked and appalled. I shan't be inviting them to afternoon tea.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Harry is a racist, facist toff ****, burn the fucker & all his nazi family.

For decades, like Niggher, Paki has been a derogatory term. Asians are thick skinned to it all now, as its been going on for sooo long. As discussed, calling an asian a terrorist etc... is far more 21st C. Im assuming a lot of the posters on here are under 25, otherwise you would be not even have to question the fact that "paki" is a racist term

institutionalised, heck nationalised soft racism is just part of our culture now..

funneh, but an insult I learned in India was the Hindu to basically say " sod your crazy, go to Pakistan" So in effect calling a Indian a Pakistani, no greater insult !

Ormorof

FH is my second home
BBC NEWS | UK | Charles faces 'Sooty' name claim

like father like... wait its the ginger one... errrrrr is it his son? :p

banter is ok, but there is ofc a limit :p

(hell people are shocked when they first get to know me and my friends because we do insult each other but we got on so well, and know each other well enough that theres always a comeback and we tend to end up laughing our heads off about the whole thing :p )

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
what does "sooty" mean?

And Zede " institutionalised, heck nationalised soft racism is just part of our culture now.. "

No it is not. It is from all times and will last for a long time. Just look at the terms that have been invented by the diverent peoples for each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom