Hardware question

K

keludm

Heres a quick question for anyone who knows a bit about computer setups:-

Am running PS beta from Uk (on the Us test servers) with..

1 Meg celeron
512 SD Ram
GeForce 3 Ti 200 128Mb
ADSL connection

Even mediium sized fight rapidly become unplayable due to fps lag.

Obviously forking out for a new processor will sort this out to some extent but will the final release game and euro servers improve things or should I upgrade? - Also is it possible that even high end computers lag in these fights?

PLan is to slap in an Athlon 2.4 and 512 DDR - if so would the graphics card be OK?

ANy opinions much appreciated

M

Meatballs

with an Athlon XP1900 512mb DDR ram and ATI Radeon 9700 Pro It handles large fights pretty well. Sometimes it jutters a bit when I load a new zone and say go outside for the first time, but other than that it all seems fine.

Only problems I have are with the server side overpopulation :(

G

Gef

Mine is XP 2600+ 512Mb DDR GeForce4 Ti4600

Has lots of random framerate problems, sometimes freezes for like 5 seconds. But general playing its okay, think its mainly memory though. Going to buy another 512Mb for final release, bit crazy though needing 1Gig of memory to make it work well. I hear if you set all the GFX to low it runs a whole lot better, but I like eye candy :(

W

Will

I have a similar rig Gef, but an XP2000+. The only framerate issues I have are lag related, and tend to occur in the Sanctuary. I wonder if the Corsair CAS2 RAM might have something to do with that.

D

Deadmanwalking

Its ur celeron thats the prob im willing to bet large amounts of cash on. Get a decent processor as a top priority and with that you will need a dif motherboard and therfor memory i think.

O

Old_Bean

Originally posted by keludm
Heres a quick question for anyone who knows a bit about computer setups:-

Am running PS beta from Uk (on the Us test servers) with..

1 Meg celeron
512 SD Ram
GeForce 3 Ti 200 128Mb
ADSL connection

Even mediium sized fight rapidly become unplayable due to fps lag.

Obviously forking out for a new processor will sort this out to some extent but will the final release game and euro servers improve things or should I upgrade? - Also is it possible that even high end computers lag in these fights?

PLan is to slap in an Athlon 2.4 and 512 DDR - if so would the graphics card be OK?

ANy opinions much appreciated

Jesus! A one Meg Celeron???? Upgrade now!

S

SilverHood

get a gig of DDR RAM

no worries here, except latency lag

D

Deadmanwalking

Im not sure what everyone going on about so much memory for :mad:

I got 512 and it all runs smooth as wills arse :p

S

SilverHood

PS is a memory hog

was using 600-700 MB's last night during the intense fighting

D

Deadmanwalking

i have yet to have any problem whatsoever

S

SilverHood

i get crashes to Desktop about once an hour

think they are pc related tho, since they happen in all my games

K

keludm

Thanks guys - was pretty sure it was the machine not the con, getting pings of 200 - 300 on test server in US (Im in UK) Is that about normal or should it get better when Im conning to euro server?

Also - is there a way to see fps/ping type data in game?

A

adslrizla

You can see the "ping" between you and another player by targeting them and then moving the crosshairs just below them immediately after that. This worked on Sunday (last time I played) but given the results (25-30 seconds!) I suspect it might not anymore :p As for FPS then use FRAPS (www.fraps.com).

Y

Yoni

I am running beta on a 2.8p4 with a radeon 9700 pro - untill last night I was suffering with CTD and crazy powerpoint presentation type game play - I put extra memory in and she runs like a dream now
Memory with this game is definately the bottleneck

Users who are viewing this thread