Hard disks - are they just total toss

L

lovedaddy

Well, 4 weeks after recieving 2 replacement Quantium hdds, one of them has failed, with thankfully only (!!) 20 gigs of data lost this time!
Why are disks these days so fucking shit, I've got a 500 meg drive in my linux router thats on all day, every day, without a hitch, and its about 10 years old.

So, is there anything I can do to reduce failure rate? What HDDs would people go for?

I'm thinking going back to 5400 drives, they seemed a little less toss.

P

PR.

I'd say its because the hardware that goes to make a HDD hasn't really changed much, its just pushed harder, overclocked etc to get you more performance, and stressed components break quicker especially if they were defective to begin with. On that tho I've got 7200rpm drives that are 5years old and have no problems with them

E

Embattle

Seagate Barracuda are some of the most reliable.

C

.Cask

Well you're either really unlucky or the problem is somewhere else. Maybe with the PSU?

And if your mains is a bit unstable might be worth investing in a UPS which could save ya trouble in the long run.

D

Dimebag

Back in my day, western digital drives were the worst possible going.

These days it seems to have reversed and they have an awfully good name.

My opinion.

Dime

W

Will

I have one of the Western Digital Special Edition drives, and it is very good indeed. I also have a Maxtor and a Seagate that have been running fine for years, though I had another Maxtor ide on me a few years ago without warning.

T

Testin da Cable

the only drive I've ever had break ootb was a maxtor (for me personally) on the company side I've prolly gone through several hundred seagate and ibm scsi drives.

X

xane

The only drive to sieze up on me was my very first one, a Quantum 52MB.

I have two IBM drives, the model prior to the ill-fated 60GXP and 75GXP, that have been running for around four years, most of it 24/7.

Best drive award goes to an aged 120MB Seagate sitting in my Linux Router/Firewall. I was sitting in a box for seven years when I recovered it, wiped out the Windows 3.1 system on it (!) and started it up, it's been running 24/7 for 9 months or so.

Storage Review have a drive reliability survey, you can check that out before you buy.

W

Wij

I have a WD now because they are supposed to be v reliable. It replaced my IBM 60GXP which b0rked unsurprisingly.

F

Furr

Replaced my Fujitsu crap drive which died (suspect the platters been killed, lost all my data :( ) with a segate baracuda

D

domin8or

Scandisk and defragment your hard drive(s) every day and then put the hard disk(s) in your freezer for few hours. If that doesn't work use a floppy drive to save your work.

Users who are viewing this thread