Hard Disk Drive Problem (2 In Fact)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Right I am having a spot of bother with a couple of HDD.

I have 2 spare HDD I took from a couple of dead PC's. I would like one of them in the system I am using at the moment but I have hit a brick wall.

HDD 1:- ExcelStor 30Gb Dont Laugh :mad:
HDD 2:- Fujitsu 40Gb

Right here are the problems.

HDD 1
I put this in my system, the system boots up and then once in Wondows Takes AGES to but up, then every task takes ages, I open my Computer it takes ages. The HDD Needs formatting but its taking ages to go to my computer I cant do it. Help? I cant seem to find an integrity checker for it on the webby, whats going wrong?

HDD 2
I boot the system up and it gets to the Windows XP splash screen (One with XP and scrolling bar) it then comes off the splash screen as if it is gonna boot into XP it then stops and my monitor starts flashing as if it was a GFX Card problem :(
I am stuck with this one :(

Both HDD Come up as slaves in the IDE Disk checker after the POST. That is slave to my HDD I am using now. Not both on slave on same pooter at same time.

TIA :)

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Have you checked that the jumpers on both drives you want to use as slaves are actually jumpered as slaves. The POST screen just assumes that a drive in the 'slave' position is a slave ... it's not actually doing any checking, just that it sees some sort of drive. You need to check that the Master is also jumpered as so.

There's this other way of jumpering most drives that just puts them to a 'Cable Select' setting, but then you need to make sure that you have the correct type of IDE cable, and that all the drives support cable select.

If your current drive is cable select but the other's don't support this then you should be able to put your main drive to master, and then the older drives to slave, and it should work.

... of course if they came out of 'dead pcs' they could just be shagged and never going to be anything other than a drag on your system.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
The jumpers are set correctly on both HDD, as for the Dead PC's they were just unused AFAIK.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Have you tried starting winXP in 'safemode' with the 2nd hardisk?

Could try formatting the first disk in DOS. Boot up with any old win9x floppy, fdisk and format it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom