Hands up who likes...

M

maxi--

He is super,

although I prefer Bryter Layter, usually.
Pink moon is very sparse and dark and stuff, where as his other two studio albums(bryter layter, five leaves left) are lush and quite upbeat in comparison, with orchestral arrangements, and John Cale playing a few instruments (of The Velvet Underground)

Check out John Martyn too, he wrote his all time classic track Solid Air after Nick Drake, Solid Air is also a classic album, very similar sounding artists, that differ only in their lyrical content.

Belle & Sebastian, Badly Drawn Boy, Camera Obscura and other such artists are all heavily influenced by him. All perhaps more pop souding than Nick Drake, B&S are really the only one of those artists that have matched Nick Drake for lyircs as well as sound. John Martyn, is just kinda pure folk, not many tuneful melodies on the stuff ive heard.

M

mank!

Wow, ta :)

Very informative, I shall go and sell my body for money to buy the albums.

H

Hotteh

John Martyns great, an artist truly ahead of his time whos music still stirs vivid and fresh when i listen to it now.

M

maxi--

well, apart from the fact nick drake created the sound around 2 years before martyn, i agree totally!

and if you havent heard nick drake, you WILL be astounded by how much alike they are.

and donovan did it before them anyway, ditto dylan before him and guthrie before him.

M

maxi--

If you like John Martyn, seriously check out Drake, he sort of did the plucky guitar thing, around the same time as martyn, and the orchestral arrangements too, they influenced each other a lot.

Nick Drake just sang about apathy, uselessness and melancholy

(and ocaisionally love)

Users who are viewing this thread