Half-Life2: DoD

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
The long awaited Day of Defeat mod for Half-Life 2 has arrived. The mod will set you back $19.95 and is available via Steam.

I've been hearing some mixed reviews on DoD. Is it worth paying for, and will you still be playing it in a few weeks time?

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Your forgetting us hl2 silver owners (and above, dunno about bronze) get dod:s for free and hence there should be a fair few who will play it just cause its new

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yup, and I'm damn glad I didn't have to pay an extra 20bucks for it. Really isn't worth it imo.

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
Your forgetting us hl2 silver owners (and above, dunno about bronze) get dod:s for free and hence there should be a fair few who will play it just cause its new

Free? You paid extra for it when you bought silver :p

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
If I had a speedy PC I think it would be worth it. The physics add another dimension to the game

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I had a play last night....wasnt too bad actually once I had managed to find a free server.

Ive never played DOD before so it was quite interesting...it doesnt have the same physics as CSS so it does take getting used to

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I played all the maps this morning. Its ok really, I quite like it, though I know as soon as it effects my css aim then its bye bye DoD :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
How does it compare to BF:1942, I mean, it is a similar gameplay isn't it, so where are the differences.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Its not similar really.
Xane, you've played CSS I know, it feels like that. It IS flag capture like BF, but you cant respawn at the different flags, only at "spawn".
Scale wise its obviously much smaller than BF, but it also feels a lot less "arcadey" than BF too.
It looks twice as good as BF2 imo.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I've no clue what "version" of HL2 I got, if I did buy the Silver would that mean I'd have access to it straight away via the Steam menu, otherwise it will just ask for payment details ?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
It fuckin rawks!

HDR is awesome when you leave a dark doorway to the sunny outside, takes your eyes a while to absorb the light.

I loved DoD when it was on HL1 but the graphics eventually got to me (sad eh), then I moved to RO which is still fantastic but not popular enough and now this.

Im in absolute heaven, right mix of gungho and tactics per level and it suits me down to the ground.

Also the HDR is awesome.

The HDR is REALLY awesome.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure if it was worth paying for yet. I hope the team icon and map are a server side setting? They are good but take away from the realism which are added by the bad accuracy in the guns and how it take a second to zoom in etc :D

Are more maps going to be released soon? 4 is just lame!

ABD

Fledgling Freddie
The fact that they expect you to pay for a mod is sickening tbh.

The whole Steam idea sounded ok, however FORCING buyers of their game to use it, even if they want to play single player only, is simply an unnescessary and infuriating notion; an as such i refuse to have anything to do with a Valve product no matter how much hype surrounds it*.

*note: please disregard these comments in ~6 months when hl2 is a tenner and I've caved in to temptation** :p

**note: I'll still stick to my "$£%£ lame Valve/Steam" pov though***

***note: Unless they give me a slice of cake for registering HL2

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ok its all paid for but the fucking thing crashes when loading. :/ fucking valve i wish the ***** did a refund

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Doomy is correct.

DoD rocks, niggles aside, but its only just been released, and I doubt I'll be CS'ing much when DoD releases a few more maps.

H

Hooligun

Is it worth it ? Hmm mebbe

Is it worth it ?

Paid $21.10 for it which at current exchange rate is £12 so pretty cheap but then you only get four maps.

Is Steam making developers lazy....'Oh yeah we'll release it now with a few maps and add the rest later'...

While playing the Master server stopped responding to refresh requests (too busy ?) and when I quit and fired up Call of Duty for a comparison I got a sound initialization error (sabotage ?).

Feels like a bit of a rushed release to me.

Not to my tastes, maps feel a little cluttered and crowded just like they used to. Pace of play is quite frantic.

I'll wait for CoD 2 for a polished WWII shooter.

Will I still play it in a few weeks ? prolly not, prefer CS Source.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Its a bit more resource hungry than CSS is but hopefully when a few patches here and there they will fix that...

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Got it free with Steam:Silver (which wasn't much more than Bronze was it)? I've not had any of the bugs/problems you've all described. Perfectly smooth, playable and no crashes (touch wood).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I just started Steam, clicked a few buttons, and made a cup of tea. And it was all done when I returned.

In conclusion, you must have shit computers.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Tom said:
Well I just started Steam, clicked a few buttons, and made a cup of tea. And it was all done when I returned.

In conclusion, you must have shit computers.

Well now that you mention it I do have a crap computer...

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Steam is pretty good considering the user load etc

As Tom said you click a few buttons and bingo, you have stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom