Half-Life 2: Episode One

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Half-Life 2: Episode One is now avaliable via Steam...

Bellevue, WA, June 1, 2006 - Valve®, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life® and Counter-Strike™, announced Half-Life® 2: Episode One is now available via Steamgames.com for just $19.95 and at retail outlets around the world.

The first in a trilogy of episodic games, Episode One reveals the aftermath of Half-Life 2 and launches a journey beyond City 17. Episode One does not require Half-Life 2 to play and also includes a first look at Episode Two, which will ship by year's end.

In addition to the new single player experience, two multiplayer games are included. And those who purchase Episode One will have free access via Steam (www.steamgames.com) to Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, the interactive technology demo that introduces High Dynamic Range lighting to the SourceTM Engine, Valve's award-winning game technology.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Looks good although completion time is only between 4-6 hours.

Aada

Part of the furniture
bob269 said:
Looks good although completion time is only between 4-6 hours.

Doesn't warrent a £20 buy imo i saw it in GAME today but i bought Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends instead.

4-6 hours? thats probably for the nub gamer who gets stuck on the first mission ;/

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
I bought it via steam last week on pre' download, only cost £10 so it aint so bad :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
4-6 hours? thats probably for the nub gamer who gets stuck on the first mission ;/

I've spent roughly 3 hours on it already and I'm not even nearly finished afaik. Plus I'm not a "nub" gamer, I just don't rush through it as quick as possible. The game is not astonishingly challenging there's just some nice stuff to explore.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I take it back - I didn't realise I only had about 15 minutes left of the game :\ That really wasn't worth the money. Pity really, expected quite a bit more than that :\

Aada

Part of the furniture
nath said:
I take it back - I didn't realise I only had about 15 minutes left of the game :\ That really wasn't worth the money. Pity really, expected quite a bit more than that :\

Shame imo i was looking forward to it. a friend downloaded it off steam this morning at around 10am.. he completed it by 12.30pm just as i was walking into GAME to buy it.

Rise of Nations : Rise of Legends is awsome if you like RTS :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Don't have the patience for RTS's anymore :\

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I just can't be bothered to give them the time they need.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well it didn't take long to complete (about 4-5 hours for me over a couple of nights), but it looks gorgeous, is fun to play, there are some great moments (torch running out of power with Zombines around is scary), so its well worth a tenner. Heck, it costs £6.50 to watch a 2 hour film at the cinema.

Anyhow, heres some episode 2 goodness:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2804

EP2.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
btw if you don't wanna download but have ep1, its here:

E:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\"your name"\half-life 2 episode one\episodic\media

Chilly

Balls of steel
This might be the most blatant case of low quality cash cow behavior I have seen for a very long time. Same engine, same gfx, same fucking characters, extra few levels + art + fluff.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The graphics are a bit better actually - good story, fun levels. If only it were longer.

supersaint

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
The graphics are a bit better actually - good story, fun levels. If only it were longer.

Do not fear,there will be more episodes(not sure wether that's good or bad):(

Aada

Part of the furniture
Chilly said:
This might be the most blatant case of low quality cash cow behavior I have seen for a very long time. Same engine, same gfx, same fucking characters, extra few levels + art + fluff.

I agree.. how long did it take them to make this again?

Chilly

Balls of steel
nath said:
thats probably just better textures and a few very minor patches to the engine, no real upgrade, just the standard turn everything up a bit in the config.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It may not be a massive technical difference but the effect is good.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
It's an expansion that cost a little over a tenner, I wasn't expecting a giant leap over the original game...just more of it...erm, expanded :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Chilly said:
thats probably just better textures and a few very minor patches to the engine, no real upgrade, just the standard turn everything up a bit in the config.

Play it with commentary, you'll find that they have done a fantastic amount of work improving the visuals.

I can't believe that people are whinging about paying just over a tenner for a game like this. Honestly, why not go and buy a DVD of a film for £20, thats much better value innit.......

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
I can't believe that people are whinging about paying just over a tenner for a game like this. Honestly, why not go and buy a DVD of a film for £20, thats much better value innit.......

Where on earth are you paying 20 quid for your DVD's? You're getting ripped off mate :\

Plus, movies are considerably more expensive to make and if you're paying 20 quid chances are it's a double disc with more hours worth of content than hl2e1.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Aye most decent big budget films have at least 3 hours worth of extras.

PS: There are 3 episodes planned btw.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
nath said:
Where on earth are you paying 20 quid for your DVD's? You're getting ripped off mate :\

Plus, movies are considerably more expensive to make and if you're paying 20 quid chances are it's a double disc with more hours worth of content than hl2e1.

Plenty of people pay that much for DVDs, they're called 'shops'. :)

Movies are more expensive to make but take considerably less time to produce, and I would imagine are considerably more profitable.

Not to mention that movies (actually in this country they're 'films') don't normally let you play multiplayer, forever.

Sar

Part of the furniture
About the movies/films terminology I reckon.

But £19.99 for a new DVD even in most shops is taking the pee though - about £17.99 at most tbh, more likely £15.99.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
What sar said - it looked as though you were seriously correcting me... :\

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I wasn't correcting anybody but movies is a shit term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom