Guitar Tuners

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent tuner please, for an electric guitar.

Theres so many i don't know whats what :mad:

Ta :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Would recommened something like Marc said, also there is the opportunity to get a foot-pedal tuner, if you like that kind of thing.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I'd suggest using powertab software and doing it by ear myself. Once you have the low e string tuned the rest can be done by yourself; it'd help improve your ear for notes a lot quicker imo :)

edit:And it's freeware :)

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I'd suggest using powertab software and doing it by ear myself. Once you have the low e string tuned the rest can be done by yourself; it'd help improve your ear for notes a lot quicker imo :)

edit:And it's freeware :)

Power Tab .net - Download Center

Tuning by ear is something thats going to come along in time anyway. For a rookie, might as well purchase a cheapo tuner and make sure you get it right.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Tuning by ear is something thats going to come along in time anyway. For a rookie, might as well purchase a cheapo tuner and make sure you get it right.

That thing's got a tuner built into it too though :) So long as you can hear when a note is the same on your guitar and the tuner (no visual thing).

Vladamir

FH is my second home
My tuning by ear isn't great but its not piss poor. I was using some of the online stuff earlier and i think i got it fairly close.

Having restrung it for the first time the strings are going out of whack epically quick so a tuner will help no doubt :p

kirennia

Part of the furniture
When you first put on new strings, be sure to stretch them. For example your low E, tune it to E then run your fingers underneath the thing shaking the string lightly all across the neck. Do this a few times on each string and you'll find it'll stop them going out of tune a lot lot faster. I would say how violently to shake them but it all depends on the strings/neck/tuning/machine heads. Just don't overdo it, any amount will help.

edit:Also for the first few songs you play, try and add in some improv bends to the mix to see how much they detune :) The more you bend them, the less they'll detune in the future.

eksdee

FH is my second home
BOSS U.S. - TU-2: Chromatic Tuner

had mine about 4/5 years, taken it to and played a shit-tonne of gigs spanning a large proportion of europe. never failed me once. buy an ac adapter for it also unless you particularly like burning money on batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom