Guitar Playing

Flintlock

Banned
Ah blow it. I love DAoC gaming and have done for years but I also have other interests that I think are important to myself and others. The love of music for one thing. You can apply yourself to creating musical skills just as hard - hell offa lot harder in fact - to learning how to play a musical instrument. I reckon I have associated the way various alts move in DAoC to ballad on more than one occasion - especially stealthers. Anyways I am going to post all my guitar videos here and anyone else's videos too. That should keep this thread pretty high on the list. I think I am doing a valuable service because anyone can achieve a great deal with the same effort they put into DAoC. I learned the guitar at the same time as I played DAoC. So consider other things and maybe pick up an instrument. By the way I must know at least 30 tunes which are either of someone else's creation or my own. In other words I intend to keep this post alive. Here is a not very good first recording:

YouTube - Home Hooch
[youtubevid]R7BF1SIy-pM[/youtubevid]

Lets get some other interests on this forum. Expand the horizons!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Too bad I haven't got a working cam/recorder. I'd do one for bass, and I don't play very much at all. Am sure I could 'jam' on it for about 3 min ;o

Flintlock

Banned
Too bad I haven't got a working cam/recorder. I'd do one for bass, and I don't play very much at all. Am sure I could 'jam' on it for about 3 min ;o

All I use is a very cheap webcam off ebuyer - an MSI one - and a busted mic. It does the job. But I then clean up the recordings with Acoustica - fecking great program. I will post details how to make sure you have a chance of a good recording. You need practically zilch to do so.

Flintlock

Banned
is this thugs playing again ?

It might be. Thugs is such a mystery though. As far as the video playing is concerned though you ain't seen nothing yet :). This is just a taster.

Flintlock

Banned
Hard time to find this post! Where are all the other budding guitarists? Anyways here is another tune. As usual an old blues number - Southern Blues. Some chord sliding going on. Playing this in my shorts and the damn cat starting licking my foot half way through. He sure has a rough tongue. I should remember to shave before making these vids too as I look eh - rough, for want of a better word. Oh well. Heres to keeping this post alive:

Bluesplayer Amateur Musicians - Bluesplayer: Southern Blues

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Personally, I like it.

Some of the slides were a 'little' bit monotonous, not trying to rip you, just some friendly advice, it looked like you were sliding Am up the neck aye? The few repitions were alright but then again, some blues is quite droney.

Regardless.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
interesting. dont really play acustic or blues but was some pretty cool stuff.
metal is more my thing. once i get my sound sorted i might make a lil vid of some heavy stuff :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
metal is more my thing. once i get my sound sorted i might make a lil vid of some heavy stuff :)

awesome :> getting an 8 track in august, hopefully record some stuff and whack it on here as well. wanna put together a few songs where its just me, playing like everything. that would be cool. Like Devin Towsend did on his new album.

Flintlock

Banned
metal is more my thing. once i get my sound sorted i might make a lil vid of some heavy stuff

Mind gott (german) - peeps are actually posting here :)

Looking forward to hearing anyones playing apart from mine. Out of interest, and related to the above, I make my own music up and this piece I am still working with but is based on a riff I heard on the radio. Some guy was playing an electric lead guitar. What do you think of this? I am just improvising and using my knowledge of the blues scales and patterns to get the sounds I am looking for. Needs loads of work yet but getting there. Bit overlong at the moment. Not like the blues I have been playing above - nothing like. This is more electric lead on an acoustic - if you see what I mean? Not sure I do come to think of it. Give this a few months and I should really be able to make it sound pretty impressive I think. Might play it a bit faster too. Anyways here it is:

YouTube - Riff
[youtubevid]gqiCC2qWvZU[/youtubevid]

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Mind gott (german) - peeps are actually posting here :)

Looking forward to hearing anyones playing apart from mine. Out of interest, and related to the above, I make my own music up and this piece I am still working with but is based on a riff I heard on the radio. Some guy was playing an electric lead guitar. What do you think of this? I am just improvising and using my knowledge of the blues scales and patterns to get the sounds I am looking for. Needs loads of work yet but getting there. Bit overlong at the moment. Not like the blues I have been playing above - nothing like. This is more electric lead on an acoustic - if you see what I mean? Not sure I do come to think of it. Give this a few months and I should really be able to make it sound pretty impressive I think. Might play it a bit faster too. Anyways here it is:

YouTube - Riff
[youtubevid]gqiCC2qWvZU[/youtubevid]

sounds kind of like wish you were here by the 'floyd

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
just a Q flintlock, for stairway to heaven does a capo need to be used or am i just being retarded with my fingers?

Flintlock

Banned
just a Q flintlock, for stairway to heaven does a capo need to be used or am i just being retarded with my fingers?

Sorry, I got no idea. Can't play it. Don't think you would need a capo though for that piece. I only play odd blues stuff. Moving onto long blues stuff now that is more like classical guitar playing with pieces such as The Maverick Waltz! Looks like you are practicing though which is a good thing. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Flintlock

Banned
A-minor

EADGBe
X02210

Weird. I am hardly aware of chords. Because I have to play a lot of singular notes I tend not to read chords as such but just the finger positions. I just work out the easiest and logical way the strings should be held down. I still play chords but I only really know the names of a very few. Finger picking is totally different to strumming. I think with strumming you move from chord to chord. That doesn't seem to be the case with the stuff I play. You tend to just play a few notes of a chord. There also seems to be far more left hand finger movement with finger picking too. Anyways bed here. Here are a few more old blues recordings I stuck up on YouTube.

Cold Comfort:
YouTube - Cold Comfort
[youtubevid]MMXpoTm2aAE[/youtubevid]

Slow and looks easy to play but to get it smooth and the timing right takes a lot of practise. Plenty of sliding chords again.

Just Another Wine Bar:
YouTube - Just Another Wine Bar
[youtubevid]JQ3_NH-HPEA[/youtubevid]

This is a Muddy Waters piece played a little slower.

Will make some recordings tomorrow maybe showing a lot of string bending!

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I just noticed you posted those on you tube as KenfigHillMKJ are you actually from Kenfig Hill?

Nice tunes btw, not my thing but nice tunes.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Indeed I am but I like anonymity so I think I better alter that name. BluesplayerMark might be better. S Wales yourself?

Yeah I am from S Wales, my manager actually lives in KH as it happens. I appreciate the anonymity thing, a name change would not be a bad idea given the size of KH.

How long have you been playing now?

Flintlock

Banned
Yeah I am from S Wales, my manager actually lives in KH as it happens. I appreciate the anonymity thing, a name change would not be a bad idea given the size of KH.

How long have you been playing now?

My god that is a bit offa coincidence! Wonder where in Kenfig Hill and who he is? PM me and maybe I would know him. Bit doubtful though as I don't see many people.

I have been playing I suppose 3-4 years now. Took it up when I realized that playing DAoC wouldn't actually be productive at the end of the day and I would waste all the time put into the game. Decided to see if I could take up the guitar again. Played an electric lead guitar about 30 years ago for a few months. Wasn't getting anywhere with it but I did learn the blues patterns. In fact I used to make up strange tunes even then by improvising. Also dabbled with a classical guitar for a few months too but both just fell by the wayside.

Playing the guitar is interesting for me in more than one way. I find it very interesting for instance on how you learn a new song. How you can't play it one day but the next your fingers seem to have altered and you can. It is only really recently though that I can control the tunes and allow the notes to ring properly. Only now can I sustain the notes with some feeling as opposed to just going through the motions mechanically. I am not practicing anything like as hard as I should be to force my playing to improve rapidly but even so I do seem to be improving slowly. My website is colossal now and really I am doing 3-4 people's work a day in trying to improve and maintain it. I take a break mid day from coding etc to play the guitar and sometimes in the evening.

I can see the guitar icon above your name so obviously you are a player. What type of guitar do you play and what kind of music do you like?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I can see the guitar icon above your name so obviously you are a player. What type of guitar do you play and what kind of music do you like?

Coming up to my third year now, pretty much got into for the same reasons you did, gave up daoc need a time filler and always wanted to play the Guitar. (I believe there are a fair number of us on these boards now who swapped daoc for guitars) I am currently playing an Ibanez SZ2020EX and a Tanglewood Indiana TFC-E-ASB after selling off my other guitars (I am still looking 2 sell 2 Ibanez GAX70's so here is my shameless plug)

I play Rock for want of a better generic term I am not really locked into any particular music type, I play what I like regardless of what it is pretty much, if it can be played I am happy to learn it although I do tend to play heavier music when left alone.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Coming up to my third year now, pretty much got into for the same reasons you did, gave up daoc need a time filler and always wanted to play the Guitar. (I believe there are a fair number of us on these boards now who swapped daoc for guitars) I am currently playing an Ibanez SZ2020EX and a Tanglewood Indiana TFC-E-ASB after selling off my other guitars (I am still looking 2 sell 2 Ibanez GAX70's so here is my shameless plug)

I play Rock for want of a better generic term I am not really locked into any particular music type, I play what I like regardless of what it is pretty much, if it can be played I am happy to learn it although I do tend to play heavier music when left alone.

Got a half decent amp for sale? mine sucks and the main reason why i dont play as much as i should. got a nice epiphone LP guitar and rly shit amp.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Got a half decent amp for sale? mine sucks and the main reason why i dont play as much as i should. got a nice epiphone LP guitar and rly shit amp.

I don't I am afraid I e-bayed off a line6 spider2 a few weeks back, I may have a marshal MGDFX30 for sale later in the year but it is aesthetically a bit poor as I went rock n roll on after a few bevies one night and the casing is cracked. What are you using atm? You can get an OK amp for £150 new, add a pedal on top and you will be sorted.

Flintlock

Banned
Not my thing really, but grats on learning how to play it
based on tris's post, this might give you some inspiration
YouTube - Stairway to Heaven live (Rodrigo y Gabriela)
and more my taste:
YouTube - Tamacun (Rodrigo y Gabriela)

Yikes. Not sure I like listening to these type of players as it makes you think of packing it all in as they are sooooo good. Fast as hell these 2. They have been added to my Pro Musicians part of my site. It has a built in YouTube search facility.

Bluesplayer Pro Musicians - Rodrigo y Gabriela

Any artist that is considered a 'Pro' and has videos on YouTube can be added so post away any favorites you might have.

As previously mentioned I was gonna do a bit of string bending. Well I have done a bit and stuck another video up on YouTube. I have to start wearing nicer teeshirts and making sure I am clean shaven. God knows what strangers will think of this if they stumble across it on YouTube. First part is about a few things I have learned about the guitar and string bending. 2nd part is a short and hard to play tune - Bar Room Blues. Watch the volume on the 2nd part as it is louder than the first. Bit of a rough recording but what the heck. Here it is:

YouTube - String bending?
[youtubevid]u95E7M0J8zI[/youtubevid]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom