guildwars vs daoc?

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
agreed, got a top level warrior on there, but it just aint DAOC.

Cute graphics n all but DAOC is still teh daddy :worthy:

Morian

Fledgling Freddie
I played gw for 2 months, finished the game with 2 chars (ascended and infused) and made a 55hp monk to farm UW

thing is it gets boring fast, the pvp is not good enough in my opinion

thing is its cheap so when daoc is down i can play with my gw chars :)

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
comaan just watch the video pe4 post reply's:D then u know what im talkign about! :D

B

big_ish

I agree with Morian, I played it for about 4 months and have myself a 20 Ranger and Warrior, was good fun but gets boring rather quickly.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
GFX are to die for, vid cut scenes are great, toons look fantastic, PvE aint bad but then its grind like any MMORPG. PvP is not bad, but only small scale fights, PvE again is small scale (but huge maps, great mob spawns) and is all instanced which gets dull after a while.

But, after paying for the game, its free, and very very reliable.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
well maybe not as good as daoc, but never adds in 8v8:D.

and and and .. it's free and never have connection problems:).

leviathane

Part of the furniture
gw's gets boring fast, always good for a play about every so often though. They do kewl events like halloween atleast. Always worth checkin it for special days.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Kaun_IA said:
GW gets booring after you play it a bit

i got 4 chars to lvl 20, beat the story and got all the elite skills in about 2 months.... after that i did some pvp but its nowhere near the standards that DAoC have.

quite dissapointed :(

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Guildwars is not a true 'mmorpg'..

but it sure gives you that illusion while you are standing in town with 80 other characthers which whom you can only talk, its a diablo 2 type game with some mmorpg elements...

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Just finished watching, Would have to say GW emotes > daoc anyday, But i knew that anyway. Funny vid tho :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
GuildWars is a great game well implemented and getting better all the time, DAoC is a game with a truckload of potential that has so far only partly delivered on what it could and should have. That said though DAoC is still a great game. You can't really compare the two as GW is a pick-up-and-play-for-an-hour game whereas DAoC is really a longterm time investment and there isn't really any quick payoff. Then of course you have the fact that GW is subscription free, probably why the game has been in the top 20 of the all formats charts pretty much for the last 6 months. It really is like comparing apples and oranges.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
GW PvP is so much more balanced than DAoC will ever be, no OP spells or abilities though you have fotm builds.
Got all the way to rank 9, unlocked every single skill and played in one of the best guilds though having to wait 5 hours to get something going kinda killed it for me.

GW also doesn't have a community like DAoC, people make a PvP char in a blink of an eye and the only people that you can consider a community is the people in your friends list and your guild list.
Not to mention the amount of leetist people in GW, if you thought DAoC had many of them then you should try and play GW, 9 out of 10 people is a (wannabe) leetist in GW.

Like other people said, GW is a game that you play a few times a week though DAoC is a more long term thing, atleast for me.
Though GW high end PvP is the best I've ever played and DAoC won't get near that ever.
In GW if you play good as individual you can keep up against 10 times the odds, in DAoC you get zerged and theres no skill involved and no way to keep yourself alive.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
GW isn't about the PvE, it doesn't matter if you've XP'd four chars to lv20 - you haven't experienced the game.

The only way to play GW, join a decent guild and do - Guild Vs Guild - as the title suggests!

Start winning fights and move up the ladder > start getting your ass kicked and drop down the ladder > improve your groups build > get higher up the ladder > etc

The group tweaking is what makes you unique as a guild. There aren't many "cloned" guilds like the fotm bullshit in Emain. Though there're some fotm builds, but the more popular they become, the easier it is to counter them(as you'll be ready for it). e.g. when savage groups were fotm, imagine everyone in your group could equip BoF as a counter.

It does lack a community though.

Blizard

One of Freddy's beloved
If i were to buy GW's now, how quick would it be to lvl up and compete in PvP?

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Well you can get to level 20 (which is the max level) in about a week of play if you don't know the game yet.
But if you know how to play it and know people who will run you to places you can get level 20 in like 2-3 days as when you ascend you get like 50k exp which is enough to go from level 7ish to level 20 instantly.
To get ready for PvP you need to unlock skills as in PvP people want to have group builds which means you need to have those skills that the group wants you to have.
This skill unlocking can take ages, atleast if you want to unlock everything for any class there is, however if you focus on 1 character and a sub class then it will take less time and you can probably have everything unlocked in 1-2 weeks.

I really liked the PvE story (atleast the first time :)) and I wouldn't advice you to rush through the PvE part untill you have atleast reached the final missions with 1 character.

Also once your done unlocking skills then your PvE chars become 'useless' and you will probably only use them again when a new expansion comes out, since you only have 4 slots most people make all combinations with 3 slots then leave the last slot for a PvP char which you will use the most and constantly delete and remake to fit a teams needs.
PvP characters are instantly level 20 but only have the skills that you have unlocked but it's easy to change build with them if you have let's say a Mo/Me and a E/R then you can make a PvP char which is a E/Me and have both skill lines unlocked.

Might be a bit hard to understand at first but it's a really nice game or atleast it was when I still played it actively so don't know if they have made changes that totally killed it but I don't think so :)
Also you don't gain RPs or something like in DAoC but you gain Faction and Fame, Faction is about the same as RPs as you can unlock skills and things with it and Fame resembles your rank.
People will often ask you for your rank if they make a group and then you have to do a /rank emote which shows what rank you are.
Fame can only be gotten if you win in the Tombs (the Halls of Heroes) while faction can be gotten if you win in any PvP battle.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
JUST DOWNLOAD THE FIGGIN MOVIE:D

that movie rox;D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Blizard said:
If i were to buy GW's now, how quick would it be to lvl up and compete in PvP?

Make an insta level 20 for PvP only and get your arse in the arenas ;)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
getting tired of constantly worrying what GOA will mess up next so looking at another mmporg, my housemate has GW in the house may give it a try

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
getting tired of constantly worrying what GOA will mess up next so looking at another mmporg, my housemate has GW in the house may give it a try
Just keep in mind, GW is not a MMORPG. It's a coop/team-deathmatch game that happens to have an nice looking ingame lobby instead of a window where you select the server to join.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom