Guilds and Cluster?

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Been wondering why people can't join the guild on other server than the charater is orginally from,is there some technical reason behind it or it was just decided?

If no real reason can you change it? :p

I atleast find it pretty annoying that you still have to go with guilds you had before and can't go out "adventuring".

Abnormal

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic wants to keep the clusters relatively "easy" to un-cluster - in case that is needed at some point. That's as much as I know

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
probably a combination of two things:

mythic would have to code something to implement it

it makes de-clustering very difficult.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
in v1.80 or 1.81 you'll be able to join guilds from another server in your cluster afaik

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:

mythic are too lazy to code it

it makes de-clustering very difficult, if they find that reversing teh process can make them more money
:m00:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Cylian said:
in v1.80 or 1.81 you'll be able to join guilds from another server in your cluster afaik

any 1.81 patch notes you've seen are made up.

1.80 has no mention of it.

Abnormal

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
the yanks clustered 4 servers together then split it up and had a 3 and a 2...

but declustering isn't necessarily "easy"

took that quote from another thread here - there was also the reason I said mentioned in Herald sometime - cba to dig it up.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
AngelHeal said:
i belive they allready stated, un-cluster is IMPOSSIBLE
Right, I just spend 10 minutes browsing Camelot Herald and I can't find it right now, but Mythic definitely stated it's possible to un-cluster. In fact, that's the whole idea behind Clustering instead of Merging. Cluster was there to (not necessarily temporarily) bind servers together without actually making it one server. The only truly irreversible thing is a merge, breaking up a cluster probably takes a lot of effort. (And thus means it's impossible /fotmjoke at GOA)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Deepflame said:
Right, I just spend 10 minutes browsing Camelot Herald and I can't find it right now, but Mythic definitely stated it's possible to un-cluster. In fact, that's the whole idea behind Clustering instead of Merging. Cluster was there to (not necessarily temporarily) bind servers together without actually making it one server. The only truly irreversible thing is a merge, breaking up a cluster probably takes a lot of effort. (And thus means it's impossible /fotmjoke at GOA)

Aye, the point of the cluster not merging all but the housing zones was for just this reason. However, in reality unclustering would be a huge undertaking and would never happen. The population is fubar, hence the cluster. If the popularity of the game exploded, I'm guessing they would make a new server rather than uncluster.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Flimgoblin said:

mythic would have to code something to implement it

it makes de-clustering very difficult.

i thought that once it was clustered, de-clustering would be impossible, or at least thats what they said when we voted.

nm, read the rest of the thread

its not the first time they have said they cant do something and end up doing it though :)

2nd edit, it wasnt mythic that said it, it was goa.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
i thought that once it was clustered, de-clustering would be impossible, or at least thats what they said when we voted.

its not the first time they have said they cant do something and end up doing it though :)

for GoA its impossible, for mythic its not ;)

Adianna

Fledgling Freddie
AngelHeal said:
i belive they allready stated, un-cluster is IMPOSSIBLE

It is possible, almost any process is reversible... otherwise there wouldn't be any need for clustering, just move the characters to the other server... it would be however extremely time consuming I guess.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Z^^ said:
for GoA its impossible, for mythic its not ;)

Pretty much sums up the last few years since DAoC release in one nice, neat sentance :)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Whilst we're talking technicalities, why was it decreed that you can only play one realm? A technical reason? Or just anti-cross realming ?

I find either laughable and quite annoying on behalf of the new players (few of yes but still....).

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
as stated u can play diffrent realms on server if u did it before cluster or else your 4 years of work is finish if u wanna swithc since u need to delete pryd and excal chars to switch realm

Jolo

Fledgling Freddie
Dwali said:
as stated u can play diffrent realms on server if u did it before cluster or else your 4 years of work is finish if u wanna swithc since u need to delete pryd and excal chars to switch realm

As stated when & where? I kinda missed this info' until I read it on the Chronicles News post - which was posted ONE day before cluster, and I only saw it as servers were shut down?

And can it be changed? I really think they should if it's possible - surely it must be?

J :mad:

Abnormal

Fledgling Freddie
Jolo said:
As stated when & where? I kinda missed this info' until I read it on the Chronicles News post - which was posted ONE day before cluster, and I only saw it as servers were shut down?

And can it be changed? I really think they should if it's possible - surely it must be?

You'll find the same thing from herald and from the newsitem about the cluster on GOA site, afraid you're screwed :[

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
Jolo said:

If you want to play on both servers on two different realms and you haven't created your characters yet, it's now or never, otherwise you will only be able to play on a single realm. If you have characters on different realms on these servers, you will be able to log onto the other one only after a period of one hour. And please note that if you have characters on two different realms, and you delete one of your characters, it will not be possible to restore him. So please go slowly, think twice, hit accept once, as the saying goes.

Taken from yeasterday news

Jolo

Fledgling Freddie
Yeh, I recognised that it was on yesterday's news - that was kinda my point - one day warning - not enough imo, unless you happen to be someone who checks all and every forum. Well, as I said on a thread elsewhere - I kinda know now how Arthur Dent felt when his house got demolished to make way for a hyper-space bypass!

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Jolo said:

almost every time they mention clustering they mention the 1 hour login timer or the fact you can't create in different realms. It's talked about in just about any post on clustering...

Adoctor

Fledgling Freddie
Jolo said:
Yeh, I recognised that it was on yesterday's news - that was kinda my point - one day warning - not enough imo, unless you happen to be someone who checks all and every forum. Well, as I said on a thread elsewhere - I kinda know now how Arthur Dent felt when his house got demolished to make way for a hyper-space bypass!

it was mentioned on the goa news a few weeks back too.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Raven said:

2nd edit, it wasnt mythic that said it, it was goa.

note that impossible generally means "prohibitively expensive" when it comes to coding - more than 4 char slots was "impossible" once upon a time...

If servers were to be unclustered then GOA would need a mythic tool to sort it out, plus the effects on the server are probably at least as disruptive as the cluster in the first place.

Jolo

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
almost every time they mention clustering they mention the 1 hour login timer or the fact you can't create in different realms. It's talked about in just about any post on clustering...

Fair enough [maybe] - I can admit defeat - and maybe that I was wrong because I play a game that relies on me to read forums that are not flagged by the game itself - indeed, that are not directly connected to the game - but I am betting I am not the only one that will be intensely annoyed by this - surely it can be changed? As it happens, my accounts are pretty much as I want them to be - but I know other people who will get nerfed by this.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Jolo said:
Fair enough [maybe] - I can admit defeat - and maybe that I was wrong because I play a game that relies on me to read forums that are not flagged by the game itself - indeed, that are not directly connected to the game - but I am betting I am not the only one that will be intensely annoyed by this - surely it can be changed? As it happens, my accounts are pretty much as I want them to be - but I know other people who will get nerfed by this.

it was on the news posts as well, not just forums.

Basically it's as if prydwen and excal are the one server. If you want to play another realm on the server you need a second account.

Dimmer

Fledgling Freddie
taken from friday news;
[21-10-2005] The Camelot Reporter

This week's news deals with the clustering of the English servers, a review of the Monde du jeu, a quick overview of the SMAU in Milan, the new Dark Age of Camelot trailer and some other tidbits of information. No background piece or tip of the week, but they will come back soon.

Clustering of the English servers
The next step before tests on the Classic servers, the clustering of Excalibur and Prydwen, is planned for next week. We will announce the exact date to you very soon. In the meantime, we remind you that if you wish to play characters of different realms on these two servers, you will have to create them before the clustering. After the clustering, it will be impossible to access two different realms if you don't already have characters of these realms on these servers.

also been anounced on friday news before this, so actually you don't need to read forums not anounced by the game site... just read the news on the site, but if you in doubt GoA site provides you with a link to this forum from their site under links: DAoC European sites

Freddy's House :
The unofficial Dark Age of Camelot community forums for English speaking players. Many raids are organised here and players from all English servers discuss tactics, the realm war and much more.
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/

haleluja once again they actually have the info on their site...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Abnormal said:
You'll find the same thing from herald and from the newsitem about the cluster on GOA site, afraid you're screwed :[

Yep, UK players will be getting a really crappy deal from GOA after clustering*.

*which quite a lot of people didn't even want in the first place.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
it can be de-clustered its just that they dont want the option out there yet imo..so that peeps QQ about it, ofc they can de-cluster think about it...if they have the technology to throw a few codes together to cluster it..ofc they can delete the code and put in a new code so they stand on their own once again and dont crash.

mythic would have to do it tho

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
cant see why you cant play more realms / server... should be a timer lets say a few hours that would you need to spend offline to be able to change to other realm (just like in the cluster,,,)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom