Guild Beta Contest

Discussion in 'Warhammer' started by Gog, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Gog

Gog Loyal Freddie

http://www.warhammerherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=68

Are GOA going to run something similar for EU based guilds?

2. Downanael

Downanael Fledgling Freddie

They already going second wave even the orginal guild beta beta haven't started yet? ( Or is it? )

3. GReaper

GReaper Resident Freddy

The first guild beta hasn't even started yet!

GOA never bothered with these sorts of competitions with DAoC, so it's hard to say if they'll consider them now.

I have to admit though that Mythic are trying to use free advertising to its full potential. Guild betas can get entire guilds discussing the game even if only a couple of people have heard about WAR. Guild websites about a game which hasn't been launched yet is great advertising for now and for when the game does launch.

I hope GOA considers doing something similar instead of dismissing it as something too difficult.

4. IainC

IainC English WAR Community Manager

A lot of things are different in the way we are running WAR to how we could do things with DAoC.

It's very likely that we will give a second crack of the whip to guilds who weren't selected for the first phase of the guild beta or who didn't sign up for it. Whether that second chance will be a website competition or some other method I don't know yet.

5. AngelHeal

AngelHeal Part of the furniture

When can we expect a date of when the guild beta is gooing live.
    Don't nessecarily (<--how to write that damn word;P) need to give an exact date, but a month will actually be nice:)

6. GReaper

GReaper Resident Freddy

It would be nice to see GOA trying to reach out to the community a bit more instead of picking yet another few thousand names out every few months.

7. IainC

IainC English WAR Community Manager

Or giving fansites beta keys to hand out in competitions. Or actively posting and joining in discussions on lots of different community sites. Or flying fansite reps to Virginia to meet the Mythic team. Or inviting local fans to party with us and Mythic at shows. Or managing a simultaneous beta in five languages. Or any one of the myriad additional things we've already done, are doing and will be doing in future.

Apart from all of that you mean?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Delrith

Delrith Fledgling Freddie

I think someone got pwned by req :p

9. xxManiacxx

xxManiacxx Can't get enough of FH

Agree :D

10. GReaper

GReaper Resident Freddy

The only EU fansite competition I've seen is the FreddysHouse one, which required most people to subscribe for it. It's also the only one you've advertised on the website.

My personal opinion is that Mythic has a better web campaign. A more detailed beta signup form. Weekly summaries of news from other sites on the WAR Herald. Easier website to use, I've got the latest news with an RSS reader - something I can't do with the EU site. A guild website competition is the latest in their campaign for North American customers.

A lot of attention is going in Mythic's direction instead of anything being GOA branded. I can't think of a better phrase, but I don't think we've been sufficiently GOA'd enough. :p

11. AngelHeal

AngelHeal Part of the furniture

..ok how to say this, it's BETA... the fact they have been allready dooing so much for this community (old one but not that big anymore) proves they have put more effort in this game then in daoc the last 3 year.. (see uk cluster, still no solution)

just because you haven't got an invite yet, doesn't mean they don't do anything.

12. Gog

Gog Loyal Freddie

Thanks for the info.

Actually, RSS would be a fantastic addition to the EU site. Any chance someone can have a word with the web bods at GOA? All of the RSS feeds I've got running are US-based, which is great, but it would be nice to have some Europe-only news once in a while (it might even get a nice section all to itself :D)

13. Draig

Draig Fledgling Freddie

QFT

14. Whisperess

Whisperess Part of the furniture

I see this reply a lot, especially from representatives; and it's more or less the worst excuse possible.

It's during the BETA period they have to catch people's interest, especially the guilds. With so many games on the horizon, guilds are looking out for warning signs of things to come - as in, how things are actually being dealt with rather than promises of things to come. It's far too late to actually wait a few months after release to see how things have been dealt with during retail.

While good handling is an absolute must during retail - it's during beta stages that they have an opportunity to amass an excited crowd and let word-of-mouth advertising really boost the subscriber amount early on. Daoc suffered greatly here up north due to the common reply "what's that?" when mentioned 2 years after launch. They sure as shitake didn't want to jump in so far behind everyone else - and thus simply gave it a miss altogether.

And yes Ian, it's great that you do post here and at WHA - it wouldn't hurt to tone down the "holier than thou" attitude just a smidgen towards people who voice concerns though. I say that with the best of intentions - replies from reps resonate far more greatly than what might first be apparent.

15. Bahumat

Bahumat FH is my second home

Making websites is gay for a competition as you may have a guild of people who cant code websites.

I think GOA should copy Mythic for all their good idea's, but when they make a stinker competition like this, GOA should do their own thing :)

16. Oskorei

Oskorei Fledgling Freddie

In my opinion you're making it much too hard for yourself mate. It could be way easier. Outsourcing! EA does it, Mythic does it, why shouldn't GOA do it? So here's the plan: you give me all the beta accounts and I'll handle them for you, for free! Saves you alot of time ey? ^^

17. rampant

rampant Can't get enough of FH

still as arrogant as ever :) - it seems you still havnt learnt how to run or respond to a community!