Guild Beta Contest

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
http://www.warhammerherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=68

WAR Herald said:
So your guild didn't luck into an invite to the first wave of Guild Beta? Were you trapped in a vacation at your Aunt's house in the middle of nowhere with no internet connection and couldn't get your guild application in on time? Well here's your chance to increase your odds! Starting today we'll be running several contests to give you guilds a chance to secure a spot on the Guild Beta Phase 2 list. The first of the contests (more will be added over the coming weeks) will be a simple and straightforward Best Guild Website contest. The rules are as follow:

* Your guild website must be WAR themed, make use of those fansite kits we provide!
* If you were already selected for phase 1 of Guild Beta, you may not win.
* The top 10 websites, based on the votes cast by myself and James will receive a place on the phase 2 list and a banner to display proudly on their guild site.
* Voting will be done by going through all entries and ranking our favorite 10, giving 10 points to #1 down to 1 point for #10. After that all points will be added, and the 10 highest totals will be declared the winners.
* We will be looking at overall appearance, functionality, WAR-ness (yeah, I made that up, but you know what I meant), and just general coolness.
* NA based guilds only please. (This does include all regions not handled by GOA, such as Oz, NZ, Asia, CSA, Canada, etc.)
* Same as with Phase 1 of Guild Beta, the number of slots the guilds receive in phase 2 will be determined by overall guild size.
* Contest will end on Friday, September 14th at 5pm EST.
* Winners will not be posted but will be contacted individually, same as the guilds for Phase 1, it will be up to them whether or not they want to announce their good fortune to the world.
* Entries should be Emailed to war-community AT mythic DOT ea DOT com with the subject line: Guild Beta Website Contest Entry.

Are GOA going to run something similar for EU based guilds?

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
They already going second wave even the orginal guild beta beta haven't started yet? ( Or is it? )

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The first guild beta hasn't even started yet!

GOA never bothered with these sorts of competitions with DAoC, so it's hard to say if they'll consider them now.

I have to admit though that Mythic are trying to use free advertising to its full potential. Guild betas can get entire guilds discussing the game even if only a couple of people have heard about WAR. Guild websites about a game which hasn't been launched yet is great advertising for now and for when the game does launch.

I hope GOA considers doing something similar instead of dismissing it as something too difficult.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
A lot of things are different in the way we are running WAR to how we could do things with DAoC.

It's very likely that we will give a second crack of the whip to guilds who weren't selected for the first phase of the guild beta or who didn't sign up for it. Whether that second chance will be a website competition or some other method I don't know yet.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
A lot of things are different in the way we are running WAR to how we could do things with DAoC.

It's very likely that we will give a second crack of the whip to guilds who weren't selected for the first phase of the guild beta or who didn't sign up for it. Whether that second chance will be a website competition or some other method I don't know yet.

When can we expect a date of when the guild beta is gooing live.
Don't nessecarily (<--how to write that damn word;P) need to give an exact date, but a month will actually be nice:)

GReaper

Part of the furniture

It would be nice to see GOA trying to reach out to the community a bit more instead of picking yet another few thousand names out every few months.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
It would be nice to see GOA trying to reach out to the community a bit more instead of picking yet another few thousand names out every few months.

Or giving fansites beta keys to hand out in competitions. Or actively posting and joining in discussions on lots of different community sites. Or flying fansite reps to Virginia to meet the Mythic team. Or inviting local fans to party with us and Mythic at shows. Or managing a simultaneous beta in five languages. Or any one of the myriad additional things we've already done, are doing and will be doing in future.

Apart from all of that you mean?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The only EU fansite competition I've seen is the FreddysHouse one, which required most people to subscribe for it. It's also the only one you've advertised on the website.

My personal opinion is that Mythic has a better web campaign. A more detailed beta signup form. Weekly summaries of news from other sites on the WAR Herald. Easier website to use, I've got the latest news with an RSS reader - something I can't do with the EU site. A guild website competition is the latest in their campaign for North American customers.

A lot of attention is going in Mythic's direction instead of anything being GOA branded. I can't think of a better phrase, but I don't think we've been sufficiently GOA'd enough. :p

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
..ok how to say this, it's BETA... the fact they have been allready dooing so much for this community (old one but not that big anymore) proves they have put more effort in this game then in daoc the last 3 year.. (see uk cluster, still no solution)

just because you haven't got an invite yet, doesn't mean they don't do anything.

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
IainC said:

Thanks for the info.

GReaper said:
I've got the latest news with an RSS reader - something I can't do with the EU site.
Actually, RSS would be a fantastic addition to the EU site. Any chance someone can have a word with the web bods at GOA? All of the RSS feeds I've got running are US-based, which is great, but it would be nice to have some Europe-only news once in a while (it might even get a nice section all to itself :D)

Draig

Fledgling Freddie
The only EU fansite competition I've seen is the FreddysHouse one, which required most people to subscribe for it. It's also the only one you've advertised on the website.

My personal opinion is that Mythic has a better web campaign. A more detailed beta signup form. Weekly summaries of news from other sites on the WAR Herald. Easier website to use, I've got the latest news with an RSS reader - something I can't do with the EU site. A guild website competition is the latest in their campaign for North American customers.

A lot of attention is going in Mythic's direction instead of anything being GOA branded. I can't think of a better phrase, but I don't think we've been sufficiently GOA'd enough. :p

QFT

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
..ok how to say this, it's BETA...
I see this reply a lot, especially from representatives; and it's more or less the worst excuse possible.

It's during the BETA period they have to catch people's interest, especially the guilds. With so many games on the horizon, guilds are looking out for warning signs of things to come - as in, how things are actually being dealt with rather than promises of things to come. It's far too late to actually wait a few months after release to see how things have been dealt with during retail.

While good handling is an absolute must during retail - it's during beta stages that they have an opportunity to amass an excited crowd and let word-of-mouth advertising really boost the subscriber amount early on. Daoc suffered greatly here up north due to the common reply "what's that?" when mentioned 2 years after launch. They sure as shitake didn't want to jump in so far behind everyone else - and thus simply gave it a miss altogether.

And yes Ian, it's great that you do post here and at WHA - it wouldn't hurt to tone down the "holier than thou" attitude just a smidgen towards people who voice concerns though. I say that with the best of intentions - replies from reps resonate far more greatly than what might first be apparent.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Making websites is gay for a competition as you may have a guild of people who cant code websites.

I think GOA should copy Mythic for all their good idea's, but when they make a stinker competition like this, GOA should do their own thing :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Or giving fansites beta keys to hand out in competitions. Or actively posting and joining in discussions on lots of different community sites. Or flying fansite reps to Virginia to meet the Mythic team. Or inviting local fans to party with us and Mythic at shows. Or managing a simultaneous beta in five languages. Or any one of the myriad additional things we've already done, are doing and will be doing in future.

In my opinion you're making it much too hard for yourself mate. It could be way easier. Outsourcing! EA does it, Mythic does it, why shouldn't GOA do it? So here's the plan: you give me all the beta accounts and I'll handle them for you, for free! Saves you alot of time ey? ^^

rampant

Can't get enough of FH

still as arrogant as ever :) - it seems you still havnt learnt how to run or respond to a community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom