Guide to RvR forums for newer members

Novamir

One of Freddy's beloved
I just thought I'd write a guide to some of the newer members helping them out so that they know what not to do and save them the pain and hassle.

• Don't write FAO threads, or threads to anyone. Even if they have an absurd forum name that you dont know, or even if you dont know the name of the person you might have dueled, still DO NOT make a thread here about it. No matter how useful to you it might be to chat to them using this community medium, or how interesting the fight was, making a thread that is directly addressing another forum member will be locked.

• Dont write threads that are for a joke, or teasing another forum member. This of course includes anything which could be constituted as a personal attack on another forum member. In fact this encompasses any thread which in any way leads to the detriment of any other forum member, either directly or implied. Indeed, try to steer clear of disagreeing with anyone at all. Any such disagreement will get the thread locked.

• Don't let your thread get too long. If the thread is too interesting or popular, or reaches past a certain number of pages, it will get locked, irrespective of the content.

• Don't make threads that are similar to other threads on the board. Even if they are something you deem important and topical, you should not do this. Keep all relevant discussion on one long thread about the issue, so that the thread can be locked after a day or so. This simply makes everyone's life easier. Do not be tempted into making humorous threads based on a topic, or

• Don't post anything which could be construed as off topic, as it will be instantly moved or locked. The range of things which could be interpreted as Off Topic is undefined but vast. In fact, probably the best course of action is to steer clear of making threads at all.

• Make sure you actively post in threads that mods have started. These threads will not be locked and you are likely to actually be able to have a discussion in them.

• Don't make a thread criticising something about GOA, Mythic, DAOC, any of the classes, realms, servers or anything else you might be annoyed about. Flaws in the game or its management are intentional. Any such topic could lead to a lively debate and would thus result in a locking. The fact you pay £8 per month for the right to post on GOA's arranged community forums about issues which matter to you is, again, irrelevant. You will soon be notified by the forum owners that you have no rights, you mean nothing and you should STFU. It's an easy mistake to make.

• Don't post short threads, or comments, or anything less than a sentence long. This will lead to any thread with said comment in being locked. The exception to this is posting "IBTL", which is fine and is a mark of respected forum users.

• Finally, do try not to criticise the forum Moderators, or Administrators, or anyone involved in the boards, as it will result in an immediate warning, or ban, or locking of any available threads

I hope this helps!

Gratscensi

Banned
lenin.jpg

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Novamir said:
The fact you pay £8 per month for the right to post on GOA's arranged community forums about issues which matter to you is, again, irrelevant. You will soon be notified by the forum owners that you have no rights, you mean nothing and you should STFU.

you dont pay £8 for this GoA arranged forum at all, this isnt an official forum, and you really do have no rights.

other than that, funny stuff tbh.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Novamir said:
I just thought I'd write a guide to some of the newer members helping them out so that they know what not to do and save them the pain and hassle.

• Don't write FAO threads, or threads to anyone. Even if they have an absurd forum name that you dont know, or even if you dont know the name of the person you might have dueled, still DO NOT make a thread here about it. No matter how useful to you it might be to chat to them using this community medium, or how interesting the fight was, making a thread that is directly addressing another forum member will be locked.

• Dont write threads that are for a joke, or teasing another forum member. This of course includes anything which could be constituted as a personal attack on another forum member. In fact this encompasses any thread which in any way leads to the detriment of any other forum member, either directly or implied. Indeed, try to steer clear of disagreeing with anyone at all. Any such disagreement will get the thread locked.

• Don't let your thread get too long. If the thread is too interesting or popular, or reaches past a certain number of pages, it will get locked, irrespective of the content.

• Don't make threads that are similar to other threads on the board. Even if they are something you deem important and topical, you should not do this. Keep all relevant discussion on one long thread about the issue, so that the thread can be locked after a day or so. This simply makes everyone's life easier. Do not be tempted into making humorous threads based on a topic, or

• Don't post anything which could be construed as off topic, as it will be instantly moved or locked. The range of things which could be interpreted as Off Topic is undefined but vast. In fact, probably the best course of action is to steer clear of making threads at all.

• Make sure you actively post in threads that mods have started. These threads will not be locked and you are likely to actually be able to have a discussion in them.

• Don't make a thread criticising something about GOA, Mythic, DAOC, any of the classes, realms, servers or anything else you might be annoyed about. Flaws in the game or its management are intentional. Any such topic could lead to a lively debate and would thus result in a locking. The fact you pay £8 per month for the right to post on GOA's arranged community forums about issues which matter to you is, again, irrelevant. You will soon be notified by the forum owners that you have no rights, you mean nothing and you should STFU. It's an easy mistake to make.

• Don't post short threads, or comments, or anything less than a sentence long. This will lead to any thread with said comment in being locked. The exception to this is posting "IBTL", which is fine and is a mark of respected forum users.

• Finally, do try not to criticise the forum Moderators, or Administrators, or anyone involved in the boards, as it will result in an immediate warning, or ban, or locking of any available threads

I hope this helps!

this would of been funny, if it didnt try so hard.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
Censi - you act like a total cock on these boards. As of that ban, however, the other mods have been advised by me that you will get a permanent ban for any incident, so don't step out of line.

Funny post novamir.

The main problem is (or was) the mods tbh. We all know the attribute pre-requisities of people that want to be mobs. Its like the dweebs at school that got bullied and become police officiers in later life.

decent players and decent people earn respect naturally. Those at the extreme opposite end of the scale have to apply for it.

Novamir

One of Freddy's beloved
i dont agree actually censi.

i think as people they are ok. hopefully they think they are doing the right thing, however they are actually killing these forums. every week there are less new posts made. it was inevitable sooner or later with such incomprehensibly strict moderating.

we have a great community here but if people keep fearing to post/getting warnings/getting banned for absurd reasons/getting their threads locked/their posts deleted at the same rate it definitely won't be here long.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Novamir said:
we have a great community here but if people keep fearing to post/getting warnings/getting banned for absurd reasons/getting their threads locked/their posts deleted at the same rate it definitely won't be here long.

I'm not going to claim that I think the mods get it right all the time, because I don't.

But maybe if the regular culprits stopped mod bashing every 30 minutes simply because they are bored, then the mods might stop taking every new post as being "more mod baiting for the sake of it" and stop closing them off.
Does anyone really believe Censi's "the mods are out to get me" written in every post he makes are making the mods more lenient?

Bait the mods in 50% of the posts and they will start to see it in the 50% that arn't baiting them. Making pointless posts just so the mods have to close them has almost become trendy.. Unless your flaming a mod you almost can't post here for fear of being abused by the mod haters, it works both ways you know.

Novamir

One of Freddy's beloved
Golena said:
Unless your flaming a mod you almost can't post here for fear of being abused by the mod haters, it works both ways you know.

i find that idea quite absurd.

Gray-CF

Fledgling Freddie
did you know irl Nova is a parking warden?

rules his patch with a steel rod and his mighty word!!

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
How bout adding to the list the following:

Dont post generally anything where you prove yourself clueless or people will flame you, and go laugh in to the toilet behind your back.

Glorien

Fledgling Freddie
Good stuff and I have to agree with Novamir - the strict moderating of topics certainly has had a negative effect. I rarely post but read the forums alot, and have done from BW and have noticed a massive decrease in interesting topics and discussions.

Oh, and I guess IBTL

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
only if yer novamir ;)

Was going to lock this since everyone else seems to think it should be... but might as well let it run out in this thread rather than another one.

Obviously threads get locked now and again - funny that, it's a moderated forum (if the rather light moderation is really killing it so badly why hasn't a successful alternative appeared?)

The worst shit gets locked/deleted and the rest gets left to play.

I can guarantee that sure some of the reasons listed in Novamir's are based on real and reasonable reasons for locking a post... all taken to the point of absurdity of course... were it really like that do you think Novamir would be allowed to post such bullshit and remain a forum member for long?

He's been banging the "we don't need no moderation" drum for 4 years now... and I've nothing against him as a person but I completely disagree...

Then again, according to this list, If Novamir had his way we'd have 200 page long whine threads about how Suchandsuch a poster should die irl due to their views on the price of cheese.

Obviously such threads are the hallmark of a quality daoc gaming forum and we're missing out.

Don't make a thread criticising something about GOA, Mythic, DAOC, any of the classes, realms, servers or anything else you might be annoyed about.

That's the one thing I really take exception to in your post Novamir (jibes about biased mods aside... :rolleyes:)

I mean really... the amount of overpowered class discussion (and whine - plenty of that too) on these boards over the past 4 years... never mind the GOA bashing stuff that you can still find on the search...

Plus, what's with the "thread too long" thing - I've never locked a thread for it being too long - sure you've not been hanging out on the VN boards?

Novamir

One of Freddy's beloved
Flimgoblin said:
Was going to lock this since everyone else seems to think it should be... but might as well let it run out in this thread rather than another one.

Obviously threads get locked now and again - funny that, it's a moderated forum (if the rather light moderation is really killing it so badly why hasn't a successful alternative appeared?)

light moderation? dont you realise that the mods here now (yourself included i am afraid) are the most intolerant, lock-happy bunch ive ever experienced in an online forum? ive been a member of many forum-communities for a long time, including DVD forums and quake2 mainly (and still actively post) and there is nothing like the same stuff.

Flimgoblin said:
The worst shit gets locked/deleted and the rest gets left to play.

no. what YOU guys think is the 'worst shit' gets locked/deleted. and i guess that since we can see locked stuff, but not deleted stuff, then the tendency of the mods will be to delete more and more? and thus we wont even know that it has happened. threads disappearing..

Flimgoblin said:
I can guarantee that sure some of the reasons listed in Novamir's are based on real and reasonable reasons for locking a post... all taken to the point of absurdity of course... were it really like that do you think Novamir would be allowed to post such bullshit and remain a forum member for long?

i dont post personal attacks. i dont just flame people. i dont do retarded 'IBTL' posts. if you look at the threads and posts i make, im amazed yhat you can actually say i post 'such bullshit' Flim.

Flimgoblin said:
He's been banging the "we don't need no moderation" drum for 4 years now... and I've nothing against him as a person but I completely disagree...

of course you disagree. you've been one of the main lockers since you became a mod, and you've never seen how damaging it is. look, i know that the mods do a valuable job, and im sure theres lots of utter shite (spam posts whatever) you must delete, but you are just wrong so much of the time Flim. ive watched this RvR forum go from my favourite place to log in and chat about anything even slightly rvr-related to what it is now.

Flimgoblin said:
Then again, according to this list, If Novamir had his way we'd have 200 page long whine threads about how Suchandsuch a poster should die irl due to their views on the price of cheese.

whats the matter with that? if people dont care, they dont have to read it. its the sign of a vibrant community that it caters for all tastes.

Flimgoblin said:
That's the one thing I really take exception to in your post Novamir (jibes about biased mods aside... :rolleyes:)

you mean the bit about posting in moderators' threads? because that is fully accurate. when do u ever see a mod lock another mods thread?

Flimgoblin said:
Plus, what's with the "thread too long" thing - I've never locked a thread for it being too long - sure you've not been hanging out on the VN boards?

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=208193
perfect example. thread gets long. mod gets bored. lock.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=201965&page=11
another example. thread gets long. mod thinks the thread has been there too long therefore has to lock.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=207591
long thread. people still discussing things. YOU lock it.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=208275
and whats this Flim? you think the thread is shit so you lock it? where does it say that in the FH moderator guidelines?

theres some examples for you, and it only took me about 5 minutes.

about moving to another forum, i looked into vBulletin and server prices a while back, but theres no way i can afford it plus the bandwidth that a daoc server would produce. however with the community waning more and more i guess it might be a viable alternative... and yeah, if someone else came up with a new forum, id like to move there. because it cant be much more miserable than here.

to be honest i guessed this thread would be locked before now, as they usually are. any sort of criticism of the modding policy usually just gets a STFU and FO comment. why do i bother posting stuff like this? because i do actually care about the place and id love it to be more like it used to be.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Novamir said:
light moderation? dont you realise that the mods here now (yourself included i am afraid) are the most intolerant, lock-happy bunch ive ever experienced in an online forum? ive been a member of many forum-communities for a long time, including DVD forums and quake2 mainly (and still actively post) and there is nothing like the same stuff.

Looking at the first page I see a total of 2 locked threads..

The first one (9 pages of crap) wasn't a great loss. If you really wanted more of it then go back to page 5 and start again, i'd imagine you'd get the same results as if you had read the next 4 pages of posts that would of been made.

The second one you might have a slight point, in that a discussion was actually forming. He did offer the poster the chance to remake the thread however, not just a FO with this topic.

I'm not sure it's what i'd call crippling post locking however given the levels of crap that gets posted here. The forums actually dying because the only people that seem to be left are one dimentional puppets spouting the same arguments in every post made (me included probably). Look at any whine thread and you can probably guess exactly who's going to turn up and say what, there's no discussion anymore, just the same old mud slinging at each other. CM, alarm clock, adder, hibgard, bridge camper, banshee, horner, etc, etc. Since every thread turns into the same 5 pages of the above then letting it run really serves zero purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom