Group sorc strategy?

B

baphomet

I have solo'd my lvl 11 sorc so far, but now I'm starting to get invites to groups.
However, I really don't know much about the strategy to use for sorcs in groups, so I have refused all the invites so far, as I don't want to embaress myself by being a crap group sorc.

I am primarily specced in mind with body as secondary.

So, what am I supposed to do?
Just stand ther and mezz?
Or is there more to it?

[edit]
Oops, wrong server, still it's all the same anyway..answers appreciated.

T

thegreatest

I have solo'ed my sorc to lvl 32 90% of the time, but I was groupped sometimes too. I'm 25 mind (+3) and 18 (+1) body specced atm. My final spec will be 36 mind 40 body. Anyway, what I do in groups (without pbaoe) is if there is no paladin, pull the mob with single debuff (strength), then mezz the add and ae debuff the pulled mob if there is no other mob near. If you like you can do some nukes too but that takes too much power and you will have a big resist rate (at least I do) as your spec body nuke is low lvl. You can nuke with your baseline nukes but you will get lop or even oop very soon. So your main task is always crowd control, then debuff and third is nuke. Oh and dont forget to give power regen to your group mates :)

When you are in a pbaoe group, your main task will be debuff and also do some nukes. Doing cc in pbaoe group is difficult/impossible, unless you see some other mobs adding from 1500+ range ;)

B

baphomet

OK thanks, well, that was more information than last time I asked.

Nice..:)

T

thegreatest

Originally posted by baphomet
OK thanks, well, that was more information than last time I asked.

Nice..:)

You're very welcome my friend ;)

L

liste

adding to that.

Sorcerer's are ace pullers. but root pulling is easier, usually, as you will only have to mezz the 3rd, if any. heat/ice/matter debuffs are very handy for your damage casters, and nukes are not that expensive. personally, i think body spec is better to level with, as your debuffs and nukes will be far superior than with mind.

in pbaoe groups, for example, you'll be loved lots if you do as above <pulling with insta debuff instead of root> and you can chain pull very fast.

high mind for leveling only gives you one edge over body, and that's a higher mana regen, but you'll be less active in the group, which is your choice to make

B

baphomet

Hmm, interesting post about mind/body preferences.
Well, I'm only 11th level, so I can readjust my body to be highest over the levels and see what it's like.
If I don't like it, I can respec at 20th lvl anyway.

T

thegreatest

Well I forget root pulling yes, I do that a lot if I think that a second/3rd mob will add, so you dont have to mezz 2, only mezz 1 add and you're fine :). About heat/matter/cold debuffs, I dont have them yet so I cant tell anything about them ;). But I think mind is better way to go if you prefer groupping a lot, because if you dont spec high mind you wont get good ae mezzes that are really important and time saving if you get 3 or more mobs at once. But I'm 26 mind specced and 18 body (was little wrong at last post, said 25 mind) and have power regen 3 atm, so I will go for body now and leave mind a little as it is atm :)

O

old.Chavez

For easy leveling go with matter then respec back to body at 40. Atleast that's what i possibly plan anyway :p

Thats a good solo spec.

Double dotting (low mana usage) and a debuff will make oranges fall quick without much effort.

As for groups, hmm tough. Pimary role of course is mezzing but add a few debuffs on your main assist and maybe a baseline dot is not gonna hurt. Root pulling is also nice but i tend to get high resists rates on it. Good thing about rooting is that debuffs will not break root in pve where as they will on mezz. Atleast thats in my experience.

W

wyleia

In groups, you ofc mezz/root for cc. You use your targetted resist debuiffs if you have that type of nuker in the group. Use the dex or str targetted debuffs to make the mob weaker..

Now beyond that, You can root pull as mentioned above, You can pull from 2300 range with the level 7 targetted amnesia spell (just cast it til the mob resists and it will pull on resists.. 2300 is scout/cabby pull range)... You also use that level 7 targetted amnesia spell to save clerics or over enthusiastic nukers.. If someone takes aggro who shouldnt be getting hit, cast the amnesia so aggro comes back to main tanks.

If you get a pet, that can be used for a third line of cc. Your pet can tank a mob for a bit until your grp kills the other mobs

Oh and ofc you can dot/nuke etc... use lifetap if you take dmg to heal yourself (baseline body nuke) so cleric dont have to use power to heal you...

And ofc dont forget the confuse grp... This was always fun when i was leveling up.. When you are in a group with nothing but cloth wearers... Find mobs in an open spot (did this with dunters a bit early on).. Have your grp stand in a circle, kinda far apart, get someone to pull a mob to your circle, and cast confusion spell on the mob as soon as u can, then have all the nukers let lose on it... confusion changes the monsters aggro level to each person so often that i normally never even gets close enough to anyone to hit them before changing its minds and goign after new target :)

But I think mind is better way to go if you prefer groupping a lot, because if you dont spec high mind you wont get good ae mezzes that are really important and time saving if you get 3 or more mobs at once.

I never had a big use for the aemezz until i started doing tanglers.. If less than 4 mobs came, i ALWAYS used my targetted mezz because 1. It lasts longer 2. If i failed on a mezz, only ONE would come instead of 3 to beat me to death...

So I really do not suggest the use of aemezz, esp on high con targets that would kill you if you failed the mezz *(all would aggro onto you that is)

I do suggest, if you play to be at least 30 in body, to get that 30 body asap after u get 20 in mind. Aeroot is an impt form of secondary mass cc that is nice to have.

And magicaly resists debuffs.. I have the 30% ones, and I can triple fire wizard dmg. So yes they are way worth it.. For pve AND rvr. (700++ in rvr with my debuff + fire wizzie)

Good luck, lots of spells we have at our disposal, will just take some time getting use to them all :)

O

old.Chavez

Confuse spell is excellent even solo it can do good use - can wreck havoc in a crowded dungeon :clap:. But unfortunally its pretty useless until you reach a higher lvl 35+ when the chance of making the mob attack a friendly goes above 30%.

S

spathi

never found much use for confuse tbh just due to the shockingly bad xp you got for using it on a mob / a bunch of mobs... may as well nuke a green twice for the same xp / powercost

T

thaen

in my opinion the role of the sorc begin at the lvl 41, before that the best way to use sorc is as a regen mana bot in pbae xp team
and at the lvl 41 the wizard respec fire and from this point the sorc become very very important

(excuse my english skills , i am french ;) )

O

old.linnet

Most camp spots in Albion, you don't need to AE mez I found. (But it is a bit safer to use when the mobs are orange/red than if they are all purple.)

Confuse is an amazing tool at high levels (41+ I think is where the confuse starts to have a decent chance to make mobs fight each other, I remember using it on rocots at about that level) -- when a pull goes really bad and the main tank/s are down, confuse everything in sight and have fun ;)

If you have good nerves, use confuse with an ice wizard ...

B

baphomet

Wow, lots more info, gonna have to print this out and decipher it when I get home...

B

Balbor

one more think, make sure the group knows how sorcerers work, nothing worce than some tanks running up and hitting a mob you've just mezzed/rooted. Even if a mob comes right at you, your BT will save you for one hit and by then you'll quick cast the mezz so make sure people know to stay on main target. Worst that can happen is your pet ends u taking a few hits.

At lower levels, once you have mezzed the added mobs keep your eye on them to follow up with a root when mezz runs out.

Not sure how much pets take of EXP, someone said they only do so if they take damage off mob and even then its not too much. Try going for a group friendlt pet, like one that will cast buffs on the group. Never ditch your pet as he's your life line if things go wrong, just have it sit out of combat until you really need him.

O

old.Chavez

And remember to keep your mind high enough through the levels to always have a yellow con pet.

Its

spec 12 = upto lvl 26 pet
spec 20 = max lvl 40 pet
spec 32 = max lvl 50 pet (debatable if you want to go 45 body instead)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom