Grats Excalibur!

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
DAOC rvr was fun from the start (i.e. before they brought in the RA "rewards"). If the pvp isn't fun now, I can't see how adding a reward system will change that. A reward system provides longevity (giving people something to aim for), but it doesn't change something that ain't fun into suddenly being fun. Not judging WoW as I haven't played it - but your logic doesn't follow ;)

the problem isnt that the rvr in wow isnt fun, its just that so few ppl do it, that its not much fun. killing xping ppl gets old :\

When ppl can stop grinding, and earn equipment etc from pvp, the pvp will be alot better because you actually get some good fights. Not just lowbies xping or 60's grinding for equipment that run away when you fight.

plus, in wow the classes are the same/similar, so you wont get the omgwtfbbq whines that class X is overpowered to the degree you had in daoc. Daoc was basically a waiting game for everyone but the fotm-riders, your hoping that the next fotm group will still have room for your class.

The matter of uniform classes also commit to the issue of skill. If the classes are basically equal, the skill of the players come into question more then in daoc(most of the time in daoc atleast). In wow you hopefully wont get the old daoc "well, we fought our very best, but because the other group had class X who didnt do any major fuckups they still raped us like we were altarboys" That issue has been with daoc all the way from release, and its fucking frustrating to know that the other group played alot worse then your group skillwise, but because of class X you still lost. And contrary, its no fun(for me atleast) to win when I know that its the savage, zerker, warlock or healer or shammy(or all :p) that is the reason we can play like shit and still win.

While wow has its share of flaws(like any mmorpg) I sincerely doubt I will be coming back to daoc(shame huh marc?) simply because ToA was the end for me. I never got the point of "forcing" players to grind through weeks and weeks of mind-numbing grinding/camping and shit just to be up to date. Sure the ml's were alot of fun, but the mindlessness and the futility of it all was too much.

If wow pvp turns out to be shit, then so be it. Ill jump off that ship and see what other thigns there are to life^^

Daoc pre toa was the best daoc(except for alb/mid casters and useless classes :p )

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
Eregion said:
graphics has never made a game imo

graphics gets you playing a game(for a week or two tops)

gameplay keeps you playing a game

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Its not the rewards but the battlegrounds that will make or break wow pvp imo. If battlegrounds are good then yes, wow pvp will own daoc pvp simply because the mechanics and classbalance is better - if battlegrounds end up a lagzergfest then daoc will still be nr1 for me.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
What Arnor said.

Also there were no relics in the beginning for DAoC. They were there, but the relic capture system didn't actually work so they might as well have not been. Keeps were largely pointless as well (without relics why bother really?) And in the beginning the frontiers were pretty empty - it's not until you get a reasonable high level population that PvP really kicks off. Personally I thought DAoC's PvP was shit at the start (hi stungard!) and got gradually better up to when RAs were introduced. It then got gradually worse from then on. Lets face it, run through AMG/MMG and get mezzed, then chain ae stunned till the thanes and runies had AEed everyone wasn't exactly fun.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Eregion said:
graphics has never made a game imo

and thats why quakeworld still is one of the top3 games in the world ;)

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
Got back from WoW to DaoC a few days ago.

WoW's PvP system can't be judged, because it isn't decently implemented yet and because a large part of the population are still total noobs... But from what I've seen till now, it doesn't look very promising to me...

Main problem with WoW, IMHO, is that the game is boring. It's beautyful, PvE goes fast...
But it's too easy, there's no thrill because you have very little risk of dieing, cos the mobs are so damn easy...
There's a quest sytem to make the PvE more interesting. That's all very nice, but we can't get around the fact: if you want good equipment/money and a mount at level 40, grinding and farming are the way to go.
And then those people who went from DaoC to WoW, because ToA disgusted them...Well, Blizzard is going to implement a new level of loot...Once people know what mobs they can get such loot from...watch the camp spots form :) (And before someone says the contrary: NO, the extremely good purple items are not just to be gotten from instances, they are also droppped by regular mobs)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Currently the best loot is from molten core... which is instanced.
I'm not aware of any worthwhile loot you can get from specific mobs outside of instances. There's some nice purple world loot, but that can drop anywhere really, so you can't just camp a particular mob. All the "campable" mobs are in instances.

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
Lets face it, run through AMG/MMG and get mezzed, then chain ae stunned till the thanes and runies had AEed everyone wasn't exactly fun.

It was if you were from midgard :p

I personally loved rvr in the start of daoc, even though I was running around a total lowbie-noob getting raped by Tilde and Mousah or Mallus or Hing or Trapp in a couple of hits. When everyone started hitting 50(me included) it started getting boring, then the group-pvp really started and that was fun for a while etc.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Arnor said:
If the classes are basically equal, the skill of the players come into question more then in daoc(most of the time in daoc atleast). In wow you hopefully wont get the old daoc "well, we fought our very best, but because the other group had class X who didnt do any major fuckups they still raped us like we were altarboys"

That sounds a big + for WoW. Like I said, I can't judge WoW as I don't play it - I just didn't follow the logic of the lack of rewards in itself being the problem. How you described things makes more sense to me :)

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
ok befor all you roxor boy's demolish this thread,

I played WoW, I liked it very much, and no it isn't all the same.
The lvl stuff is nice, (when you actually read the texts from the quest)

But Dark age of camelot is just more evolved, and has a big advantage.

DAoC > wow atm (big time)
but i think things can change when wow has fixed their "short commings" compared to other games.

(ps. UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2k4 !!! and unreal championship 2 ROXXXXXXXXXXXX)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
I think quite a few people expect WoW to be essentially DAoC 2 - daoc without the inbalance or something. It's not like that, wow is pretty different really, and some people don't get on with that. You're likely to enjoy it more if you don't go expecting a developed RvR game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom