Graphics Tablets

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
It's my birthday soon and I've been wanting to toy with one of these for a while.

The question really is are the cheap-end tablets actually any good? Talking in the region of £50 really. While I'm dubious of brands like "Trust", I see things like http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=23FS and just don't know. While I do want one, I don't want to waste my time asking for something that's rubbish ;)

Thankies :)

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Would seccond trogs recommendation, wacom do make the nuts of graphics tablets and althought a6 is a little small, i would take it over the the one you suggest.That said I have used one at my work which is unbranded and it worked fine and was nice to use in photoshop

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Wacom 4 Lyfe!

Although the A6 is a little small as long as you keep it in mouse mode you'll be fine. One thing to point out, that some people don't seem to realise, is that if you can't draw with a pencil you won't suddenly be able to draw using a tablet.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I have a Wacom A6 as well, and it's great.

Saying that, the best thing to do is draw it on paper, scan it in, clean it up and go from there.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
sar do you prefer it to a mouse when doing art work?

Khefru

One of Freddy's beloved
Wacom tablets are great. The tip pressure becomes almost invaluable once you’ve used it. I must admit though, I still prefer to navigate my way round most things using a mouse. I could live without it I suppose, but would miss it. Also have the A6 one and I get by on that fine. We have the A4 one in work and while its great, it’s slight overkill.

Sar

Part of the furniture
jaba said:
sar do you prefer it to a mouse when doing art work?
I do, because it feels more natural than using a clunky mouse. As Khefru said, the best thing about it is the pressure sensitivity, meaning you can draw with varying pressure, just as you can with pencils.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
w00tage, I got a Wacon Graphire 3 (A6 size). Very impressed, though I need to tweak the movement and pressure sensitivity somewhat :)

Also came bundled with Photoshop Elements 2.0, which I will give muchos attention in the interests of legality. Does anyone know anything about Elements from an overview pov? The sort of things that it specifically doesn't do? I'm aware that it is a Paint Shop Pro market product, which sounds alright.

Also, any training tips for getting the accuracy up with this pen? Other than just using it? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom