Graphics problem at Startup

B

BD.Saint

Hi,

I'm having a little problem starting up WAR.
Patcher works fine but as soon as WAR.exe starts up (the game) the screen goes black for a couple a seconds, i hear some sounds and then this pops up:

If im correct this must be the character select screen but i can't see shit.

anyone else having this problem?
I updated my gfx drivers, tried everything i could think of and still nothing.

Help me :D

-I'm running vista 32bit, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M G. it's a laptop.

I could run AoC on low and WoW with no problems at all.

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
I would advise looking for modified laptop video drivers as the ones suplied are normaly realy old and cuase problems with loads of games. but unfortunatly you cant just install the standard nvidia drivers as laptop hardware is totaly differant to a desktop and that is why you need modified drivers.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Did you do a complete file check when running the game?

B

BD.Saint

Try googling Omega Drivers

My laptop's game performance was increased quite a noticeable amount using those.

Installed the newest drivers i could find and it's still the same. almost.

I can see some fire coming from the torches, apart from that its exactly the same. yellow sky everything else is a white silhouet.

B

BD.Saint

I somehow managed to get the the race select screen..

Everything was still white and stuff but i could see the heads and other exposed body parts wich look normal.

If i only could get ingame see whats that like but i can't see the buttons.

Millz

Fledgling Freddie
I dont know if this helps but i had an error message when i tried to start the game after patching. It kept telling me it couldnt find a file called d3dx9_32, or something like that. I had to update my directX to the most recent version on the Microsoft website. All works fine now and im enjoying a bit o' war! Hope this helps.

B

BD.Saint

I dont know if this helps but i had an error message when i tried to start the game after patching. It kept telling me it couldnt find a file called d3dx9_32, or something like that. I had to update my directX to the most recent version on the Microsoft website. All works fine now and im enjoying a bit o' war! Hope this helps.

Updated directx, d/led from microsoft. nothing has changed :(

Going to reinstall see if that helps.. if that won't help i'm screwed.

Anyways thanks for the help guys.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Sorry mate, I'm out of ideas.
It can't help that (correct me if I'm wrong) Laptop cards arn't supported I guess.
Do you pass the tests on "Can you run it?"

B

BD.Saint

Sorry mate, I'm out of ideas.
It can't help that (correct me if I'm wrong) Laptop cards arn't supported I guess.
Do you pass the tests on "Can you run it?"

Yeah, i passed "Can you run it?" way past minimal requirements.
But yeah i guess you're right laptop cards arn't supported.

Guess i need to upgrade/buy a real PC.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Yeah, i passed "Can you run it?" way past minimal requirements.
But yeah i guess you're right laptop cards arn't supported.

Guess i need to upgrade/buy a real PC.

It dosen't mean it shouldn't work though.
Maybe wait it out until all the waiting OB'ers get in and see if anyone has the same problem.

B

BD.Saint

With youtube and and some luck i managed to create a character.
Searched for a video with char select/creation screen and with help of that i just clicked around hoping to hit the right button.
And i even managed to logg in and run around in this white maze.

atleast i can play now...wut

B

BD.Saint

this is what happens if i alt-tab and go back.

i can see something now. for 2 secs..

B

BD.Saint

Sometimes when people log in i see theyr avatar in (from what i've seen from screenshots) the right textures then they turn white again.

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
have you tried totaly uninstalling your graphics driver and reinstalling the newest you can get as there could be a fault in somewere in the config that only a clean install will fix.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Have to ask, what resolution are you running? Also, could be a faulty card, Nvid are good like that these days.

B

BD.Saint

Have to ask, what resolution are you running? Also, could be a faulty card, Nvid are good like that these days.

I'm not sure i can't acces any options or menus.

but the usersetting.xml in my war folder says its 1280x800.

Dunno if my card is faulty tho, i can run TF2 and other games with no problems at all.

Overdriven

So your game reso and your screen one are the same aye? (You run your machine at 1280x800? When not playing games?)

B

BD.Saint

So your game reso and your screen one are the same aye? (You run your machine at 1280x800? When not playing games?)

Yes.

have you tried totaly uninstalling your graphics driver and reinstalling the newest you can get as there could be a fault in somewere in the config that only a clean install will fix.

Tried that also no luck.

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
is your GPU using shared memory?
if so how much have you allocated?

Overdriven

Hmm. That card should be able to run it, it supports everything. That's odd.

Manufacturer NVIDIA
Series GeForce 8M
Codename G84M
Pipelines 32 - unified
Core Speed * 475 MHz
Shader Speed * 950 MHz
Memory Speed * 700 MHz
Memory Bus Width 128 Bit
Memory Type GDDR3, GDDR2
Max. Amount of Memory 512 MB
Shared Memory no
DirectX DirectX 10, Shader 4.0
Current Consumption 20 Watt
Transistors 289 Million
technology 80 nm
Features Shader clock frequence 950 MHz, PureVideo technology (H.264, VC-1, MPEG2, WMV9 decoding acceleration), MPEG2, WMV9 decoding acceleration), HDCP-capable, PowerMizer 7.0 power management (dynamic switching between performance and energy economizing), HDR (High Dynamic-Range Lighting), designed for Windows Vista, 16x full screen AA, 16x AF independent of angles, 128-Bit HDR illumination with AA, Dual-Link DVI-D exits for resolutions of TFT up to 2560x1600, PCI-E 16x, OpenGL 2.1, Gigathread technology
Notebook Size medium sized

B

BD.Saint

I'm going to install XP on a partition and see if a fresh OS solves the problem.

B

BD.Saint

I'm going to install XP on a partition and see if a fresh OS solves the problem.

Yay it's working. Installed Win XP, installed drivers and everything and started up WAR.
It's working perfectly.

Thanks for the replies :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom