Graphics card

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
My card just died on its arse and i'm looking to replace it :p not looking to spend alot tho as the games I play don't require a godly card.

So most like around the £100-150 mark, any suggestions?

Friend of mine said 3870 would be alright for that price but another friend said 8800 (previous card) would be better than a 3870 for that price.

any recommendations :p? post url of the card you think would be alright for £100-150.

thx

Embattle

FH is my second home
The 8800GT card is certainly the one to get at the moment, as for make don't worry too much most use the reference design.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
i cant find one with HDMI output, i would like to connect my pc to my bitgfuckoff tv (TM) through the HDMI output so it carries the audio as well, any ideas?

i suppose i could get a dvi to hdmi adaptor but i would rarther it be proper hdmi to hdmi

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
That's odd, mine has HDMI output, and also has a sound-input to enable sound over HDMI, and these are the OCUK OEM ones.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I've only ever seen Galaxy branded cards with HDMI connectors, which just has a passthrough cable for sound. Otherwise HDMI is directly compatible with DVI so there's no up/downmixing or any quality-affecting issues to worry about, just the lack of sound.

I've actually recently been trying to fabricate a passthrough cable in the very little spare time I've got at work - just a DVI to HDMI converter with a flylead to digital or analogue audio, as I got asked about this a few weeks ago and was suprised to not see such a device already available. I've got one that works rather well, I just need to package it other than coating it all in hot-glue ;)

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
so what you are saying is theres currently no gfx card that you can buy that has a HDMI output that goes straight into the HDMI input in a HDTV?

i'd rather not fuck about with the separate sound cables etc

Kryten

Old Cow.
No, as has been said above, there are indeed HDMI cards around. They just have a flylead (internal) going to your sound card for the sound passthrough.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
WTF!

Why not get a 9600 for christ sake!?

Seriously, the 9xxx series is already cheap as fook and largely for your budget, the 9600 comes out on top.

Kryten

Old Cow.
stock 8800GT is quicker than stock 9600GT, the price difference is negligable in most cases. Neither are bad cards of course so either choice is a good one, but I'd still stick with the 8800GT for the time being.

Edit:

When I say quicker, I'm only on about a couple of frames. The "features" of the 9xxx series are however negligable, and the 8800's are better clockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom