Advice Graphics card running too hot?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gents,

Finished my new build, absolutely brilliant so far, got all the software up to date and my documents across. I've been using it solid for a couple of days now with no issues so decided to try a game. After about 5 minutes of CS my PC just shut down completely. Now, I already know that my graphics card (an ATI Radeon 4850) runs on the hot side - you cannot touch the heatsink or it burns you. I downloaded a monitoring too and this is what I found:

Untitled-1.jpg

The card idles at around 88c, so I manually overrode the fan from 50% to 100% and the temperature started to come down (as you can see). The massive jump is when I fired up CS:S where it rocketed to over 100c within seconds. It steadily rose to 110c when I decided to call it quits (about 2 minutes) when the temperature started to fall again.

Do you think this is why the PC shut itself off? Time for a new shiny graphics card?

I've had the fan on the GPU running at 100% fan with the PC idling, and it's still reading 70c.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
110c is not healthy really. Your card is idling at the temperature most others are getting at full~isch load. Something is not what it should be.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I would be very concerned with those temps, is it a new card? If so you might be able to return it?

Also If your computer is shutting down this is almost certainly the reason why.

old.user4556

Nahhh this is several year old ATI Radeon 4850 that's got a less-than-decent heatsink / fan combo on it. As I say it's always been on the hot side, it just appears to be tipped over the edge now. When my PC switched off mid-game, I was playing for about 5-7 minutes, so I reckon the temp could have gone close to 115c.

I'm going to order an ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2GB today - seems to be an excellent price / performance point.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
110 °C?
Fuck.
With boost 2.0 permanently kicked in my EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX hits about 60-65 °C

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Nahhh this is several year old ATI Radeon 4850 that's got a less-than-decent heatsink / fan combo on it. As I say it's always been on the hot side, it just appears to be tipped over the edge now. When my PC switched off mid-game, I was playing for about 5-7 minutes, so I reckon the temp could have gone close to 115c.

I'm going to order an ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2GB today - seems to be an excellent price / performance point.

If it's an Asus card with their Direct Cu II cooler then this is a worthy buy, they are really really good coolers.

old.user4556

Aye that's the one I got, absolutely superb. Quiet and cool, even under load I can't hear it.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Aye that's the one I got, absolutely superb. Quiet and cool, even under load I can't hear it.

Up until yesterday I had an Asus Direct Cu II Geforce FTX 560 Ti, ran it for a little over a year, fantastic card. TBH I massively hummed and hahhed over switching to EVGA but heard so many good things about them I thought I would give them a go.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Provided the temperature sensor isn't over-reading the actual temperature, then yes that's far too hot. I have a GTX560 that runs at less than half that temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom