Graphics card problem

P

pieeater

Hello, i just bought a new asus ATI9600XT card, now at the moment i have an old TNT2 riva in the AGP slot and the computer runs fine, i slot in the ATI card and when i switch the computer on the monitor remains on standby even though the computer seems to boot up. So i slot my new graphics card into my flatmates computer and power it up and everything works fine, the signal switches on the monitor and windows boots up ok. So i slot in my old graphics card back into my computer and it boots up ok too.....

To summarise

1. New graphics card does not work on my comp.
2. Old graphics card does work on my comp
3. New graphics card works on a different comp.

All these results seem to show there is no problem with faulty hardware and i'm not sure what to try next.

Motherboard details: Gigabyte K7 Triton.

Now my motherboard supports upto 4x AGP and it seems that the 9600xt card supports upto 8x AGP...

Could be something in the BIOS setup that may solve the problem ??

Any help would be appreciated.

C

chretien

With the old card in boot to the advanced options menu (by pressing f8 as the machine boots) and choose 'enable VGA mode'.
Boot to Windows then shut down and swap the vid cards. Should be ok from there.

P

pieeater

Just tried that , rebooted to f8 , enabled the VGA mode and stuck in the new video card and still no signal to the monitor....

G

Gamzy

may need to download your latest motherboard drivers..and the new AGP ones..I had this problem once that fixed it.

T

TaF

Drivers, make sure you remove all nvidia drivers, do a format before you change to to ati card from nvidia .. imo:x

G

Gamzy

Originally posted by TaF
Drivers, make sure you remove all nvidia drivers, do a format before you change to to ati card from nvidia .. imo:x

aye lol that goes without saying but..I don't see how that would effect it as no drivers are loaded untill windows boots and clearly this pc is having a problem on boot.

You may need to update your BIOS btw.

C

cjkaceBM

What PSU are you using?

Try unplugging everything from your PSU except hard disk and floppy disk and then booting your machine.

Pull out all un-necessary PCI cards, USB attached peripherals.

Don't be fooled into thinking that just because your PSU says 250W/300W/400W that it's any good.

BTW you say you have a Gigabyte K7 Triton and it supports AGP 4X?

Afaik all Gigabyte K7 boards are called Triton? Take a look at your motherboard (between the PCI slots is a good place to start) and look for a code GA-7XXXXXXX (where X = whatever is on your board).

A

Aldrian

You have plugged the extra power cord into the radeon it needs ? (if it needs)
Other info of your comp would also help

K

Keogh

Originally posted by Aldrian
You have plugged the extra power cord into the radeon it needs ? (if it needs)
Other info of your comp would also help

I was about to ask this. Modern cards draw their power straight from the PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread