Graphics Card and Ram

Keitan

Banned
I got a budget of £150 for this xmas and i want to spend it on this pc cause its a gimp atm hihi :D atm got 512mb ram and a built in crappy graphics card:D

I want about 1 gig off ram
a good graphics card

Budget is £150

Ram has to be DDR2 btw
This is for a normall pc :) i want it to be able to run daoc and other games
/thanks

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
tbh you wont really get that much with that budget wack another £50 odd onto it and you could get a eVGA e-GeForce 7900GS (reviewed in this months PC format) looks very nice for £150 then buy a 1 gig stick of ram for £50 something.

Keitan

Banned
Raven said:
tbh you wont really get that much with that budget wack another £50 odd onto it and you could get a eVGA e-GeForce 7900GS (reviewed in this months PC format) looks very nice for £150 then buy a 1 gig stick of ram for £50 something.

Thanks for help but ive just bought loads off ebay hihi :) 2gb ram + a good graphics card for like £100 or so tbh i didnt even really need good graphics card since i dont even have 1 atm!!!!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
is that gonna work with your board? thats pci-e and you say you have integrated graphics. i didnt think mo-bos came with integrated graphics anymore :eek:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i would just save up for a good system when windows vista and dx10 have become established tbh.
BUt if you are insistant i would go RAM seeing as there are no graphics cards that are dx10 compatible atm

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i rad somewhere DX10 would only work with Vista. can anyone confirm this? really dont want to upgrade for at least a year, until they iron out most of the bugs.

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
yep, directx10 will be vista only, which will eventually make xp redundant as far as new games are concerned, also they're making a new breed of cards called physics card, which will be another step up, will use same slot, but again once they make games for it, they'll be needed

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
in addition, imo dont think its the best time to buying a top of the range card, too many big things happening, better to buy a cheaper on to do u for now if u really need one, and get another one later

Chronictank

FH is my second home
razeredge said:
yep, directx10 will be vista only, which will eventually make xp redundant as far as new games are concerned, also they're making a new breed of cards called physics card, which will be another step up, will use same slot, but again once they make games for it, they'll be needed
not strictly true
DX10 will be backward compatible through emulation but you wont get the advanced features obviously

georgie

FH is my second home
razeredge said:
also they're making a new breed of cards called physics card, which will be another step up, will use same slot, but again once they make games for it, they'll be needed

Or you could just not enable the advanced physics content.

Personally I don't think physics cards will take off, with multi core processors programmers can just use one of the cores for the physics, which I believe is what they'll be doing for Alan Wake.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
georgie said:
Or you could just not enable the advanced physics content.

Personally I don't think physics cards will take off, with multi core processors programmers can just use one of the cores for the physics, which I believe is what they'll be doing for Alan Wake.
i agree with you, unfortunately imo it is just going to be another 3dfx glide situation where the company that starts it isnt going to get very far. But a few yrs down the line the big players pick it up and it is the new standard in games

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
pcs are pissing me off now tbh. i spent around 500 odd quid in february and got my self a pci-e x2 16x motherboard, 3700+ AMD 64, 7800GT pci-e and 1gb of memory. it rocks pretty much every game ive played. but now im being informed all this will be worthless.

i think i'll fuck the pc stuff from now on and stick with my 360.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
tris- said:
pcs are pissing me off now tbh. i spent around 500 odd quid in february and got my self a pci-e x2 16x motherboard, 3700+ AMD 64, 7800GT pci-e and 1gb of memory. it rocks pretty much every game ive played. but now im being informed all this will be worthless.

i think i'll fuck the pc stuff from now on and stick with my 360.
why would you want to upgrade to vista at the moment anyway?
personally i am going to wait till the bugs have been ironed out before i upgrade and the lessons from a completely new design of direct x have been addressed :)
It will be at least a year or 2 before game manufacturers stop putting time into development for os's like winxp

Keitan

Banned
Chronictank said:
why would you want to upgrade to vista at the moment anyway?
personally i am going to wait till the bugs have been ironed out before i upgrade and the lessons from a completely new design of direct x have been addressed :)
It will be at least a year or 2 before game manufacturers stop putting time into development for os's like winxp

Friend i helped you so you help me!!

Whats this windows vista stuff?
How much it gonna cost?
Basically i need a up to date PC
So please help:D

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Keitan said:
Friend i helped you so you help me!!

How much it gonna cost?
Basically i need a up to date PC
So please help:D
wait a few months so the dx10 gfx cards drop in price, and if you still think they are too expensive the best gfx cards available now will be effectively obselete (ALOT cheaper ^^)
win win for you
Normally i would go with the line it doesnt matter when you buy there is always something newer and better, but the next few months will show a very big leap in technology it simply isnt worth dishing out the money at the mo (i only made a new system because my old one fried when someone knocked my pc off the desk and the resevoir for my watercooling shattered)

My best advice would be to
a) buy some more ram if you think you need the performance now, DDR2 is unfortunately damn expensive i would get a 2x1Gb dual channel kit (2gb dual channel) as they get the best performance atm
b) buy nothing and wait for the new gen stuff to come out
c) save up £600 odd and make a whole new system due to quad core processors due out next year meaning the current dual cores plummet in price mid 2007 <-- i would do this one as it means most the release bugs in vista are likely to be found and there is probably a pirate version out by then (am i allowed to say that?) so wont cost you anything ^^

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Keitan said:

Microsofts latest attempt at global computer, software and entertainment monopolization. If you install it you might as well pack up your computer and send it off to M$ since they will have absolute control over it.

Keitan said:
How much it gonna cost?

As much as M$ feels they can get away with and not a penny less.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Fana said:
Microsofts latest attempt at global computer, software and entertainment monopolization. If you install it you might as well pack up your computer and send it off to M$ since they will have absolute control over it.
which is a good thing, at least everything works never had a single problem with win XP... so long as you disable the windows firewall, delete internet explorer/outlook (firefox/thunderbird = win) excel and word etc are great for what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom