Sport Grand National 2012: 14 April

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
How can people choose to eat meat and then get upset/angry about horses getting killed in the name of entertainment?
I'm happy to have animals killed in a humane as possible manner to feed us, I'd kill and prepare my own meat if I had to. There is a need for that. Horse racing has no purpose than to make bookies rich.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I dont care for Horse Racing but if you banned Horse Racing then you are kinda killing thousands of horses anyway, due to fact big % of horses born nowadays in western societys are purely bred for horse racing
I look at it this way... At least it gives people a reason to keep and look after horses. And they are looked after particularly well in general - they are worth too much to the owners to mistreat. Some of the horses get used purely to breed horses for racing, imagine a life where your treat really well to keep you in prime condition and all you have to do in return is sleep with lots of females to make baby horses!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The horses do actually enjoy the racing too, not the falling over and getting shot bit though. I don't think horse racing should be banned, just steeplechases.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
The horses do actually enjoy the racing too, not the falling over and getting shot bit though. I don't think horse racing should be banned, just steeplechases.

This, flat racing is fine. I'm not particularly 'pro' horse racing, dont bet on it and dont watch it but I imagine it does put a lot of money into the economy and it only seems the steeplechases that cause a lot of deaths/injuries

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Yep all they would need to do is just remove the stupid and clearly dangerous jumps

Everz

FH is my second home
Fences need to be lowered but too say get rid of Horse Racing is ridiculous. The horses have a great life and are generally doing something they enjoy but yesterday was a horror show and the worst I have ever seen, get rid or lower then in my honest opinion.

Getting rid of it will ruin the economy of many a place, I can't stress how much money people make in Gold Cup week in Chelt, it is borderline ridiculous.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The size of the fences is definately a factor, reducing the biggest by 50cm or so cannot hurt at all.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Apparently that can make it worse as the horses just go faster over smaller fences.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
How can people choose to eat meat and then get upset/angry about horses getting killed in the name of entertainment?

Very easily. Just because I eat meat does not mean I want to see the senseless killing of animals for sport. Don't know how you would even rationalise the two.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

That's just looking to start an argument. How can you even relate those two? - How can non-meat eaters stand the eating of vegetables? Surely eating produce which helps with the production of oxygen (Technically non-meat eaters are depriving us!) is more harmful than meat eaters just eating to save some space? ;)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Fences need to be lowered but too say get rid of Horse Racing is ridiculous. The horses have a great life and are generally doing something they enjoy but yesterday was a horror show and the worst I have ever seen, get rid or lower then in my honest opinion.

Getting rid of it will ruin the economy of many a place, I can't stress how much money people make in Gold Cup week in Chelt, it is borderline ridiculous.

No horse willingly jumps over fences/hedges in the wild! They have to be trained to do that.

Have been in Cheltenham for the Gold cup week, on business though not for the racing. The money spent in bars and restaurants is incredible. The few days I witnessed it were amazing. Hardly spent any money in the pub as people kept ringing the bell for a round. I believe the people would still show up if it was a flat racing festival, just look at Ascot.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy

When the dislike and disagree buttons just don't cut it.

Deebs can you code in a 'facepalm' button? or perhaps a 'You're a fucking idiot' button?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
well without getting into the right or wrong argument of it mine came 3rd seabass. i had £5 each way so i pocketed 20 quid so i was happy

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
When the dislike and disagree buttons just don't cut it.

Deebs can you code in a 'facepalm' button? or perhaps a 'You're a fucking idiot' button?
Ooh like the idea of facepalm.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Over the year the practices of slaughtering animals has been changed to become more humane and now is done with minimal pain and suffering. Not so when Horses land on hard ground break a leg and have to wait for a vet to come put them out of their misery.

With Horse racing it seems that the horse like the racing, when they dump the jockey they don't just stop and eat grass they keep going. So maybe it is just the fences that need to be removed, or something needs to be done to make sure the ground is softer after the jumps.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I cba to have a big argument about this. We eat meat because we are greedy and enjoy it. In this day and age we don't need to. It was a pedantic/argumentative statement but not a ridiculous one.

Horse racing provides thousands of jobs. Around 300 horses are killed every year. They have far better lives than any of the farm animals we eat and have more spent on their health care than most humans. I'm all for reducing the number of people in the race to reduce casualties but I don't think we need to get rid of the grand national.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Typical veggie type arguments but thus also easy to ignore.

People don't disagree with horse racing in general, they disagree with steeplechase racing no matter how much people try and ignore the difference between the two types.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I eat meat because I like the taste and texture and I don't eat processed shite. Go figure.

edit. small pre-lol at any suggestion that meat substitute comes anywhere near to being as good.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
With Horse racing it seems that the horse like the racing, when they dump the jockey they don't just stop and eat grass they keep going.
I think that's more to do with their natural herding instincts. They don't think "zomg this is jolly, let's run", they think "hey where are you going wait for me m8s".

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Bollocks.

Look at what this country's become. Bunch of namby pamby liberal metrosexual politically correct iPhone sheep. Bring back the 1970s. When men were men and women knew their place.

Its the Grand National. Its superb. People bet on it and enjoy it. Deal with it.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, not enough men smoke pipes and wear hats. From this day forth, its is now ILLEGAL NOT to smoke a pipe or wear a hat. I have spoken.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
top-hat-dog-pipe-monocle-1275589124e.jpg

Chilly

Balls of steel
We're top of the food chain, why shouldnt we be total bastards?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
My mate got arrested years ago trying to break into Aintree with a firebomb for Beechers Brook, he was pretty handy at that sort of thing, rockets, bombs, guns etc.
Anyway Aintree dropped any charges because they didn't want the negative publicity days before the event.
Sounds a bit unlikely I know, but it's the truth, he works for the animal shelters now, wears hemp coats and the like, nice lad actually, just obsessed with animals.
He was let off with a caution, which surprised us all, he had a bomb FFS!

Chilly

Balls of steel
My mate got arrested years ago trying to break into Aintree with a firebomb for Beechers Brook, he was pretty handy at that sort of thing, rockets, bombs, guns etc.
Anyway Aintree dropped any charges because they didn't want the negative publicity days before the event.
Sounds a bit unlikely I know, but it's the truth, he works for the animal shelters now, wears hemp coats and the like, nice lad actually, just obsessed with animals.
He was let off with a caution, which surprised us all, he had a bomb FFS!

And a terrorist... ?

Job

Yeah I know, actually it was about 15 years ago lol, before we went terrorist crazy.
Just checked with me other mate, it was the year after the IRA threat and they wanted to nip it in the bud, just shows you what goes on.

Job

He was found with a standard model aircraft remote, the servo was connected the circuitry from an electronic gas lighter and it was set to light a bag of petrol, he was going to light it just before the start, they caught the pillock trying to jump the fence in the dark, they would have found it anyway searching the fences.
He was arrested and then released with a caution after they searched his house.
We didn't find out till about two weeks later, I'm sure it did make the papers, I'll do a search.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Quite a few horses die flat racing too btw.

Quite a few die showjumping and 3 day eventing. Quite a few die from neglect each year. In France quite a few die because they are yummy.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Over the year the practices of slaughtering animals has been changed to become more humane and now is done with minimal pain and suffering. Not so when Horses land on hard ground break a leg and have to wait for a vet to come put them out of their misery.

The real tragedy is that in most cases the horses leg could be set and immobilised going on to lead a good life after 8 weeks. It's costly but has been done many times with horses. The only reason they shoot them is to get the insurance money as they will never race again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom