Gran Turismo 4 (Confirmed for 25th Febuary)

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
As I'm sure some of you are aware.. GT4 has been released in Japan.. and it now appears to have been confirmed by SCEE to appear on our shelves on the 25th of Febuary. I'm sure we can expect adverts to appear on TV soon as well as even more hype, as if there hasn't already been loads.

After analysing the Japanese version of GT4 a great deal I have been very happy with everything contained in it... with two exceptions.

It has the physics, the gameplay, the tracks, the cars.. even much more customisation and tuning... plus the esteemed photo mode... however, it lacks two important features to my personal gaming experience; 2 player garage battles and the ability to save your multiplayer replay. These features have apparantly been removed due to them expecting to have a full online system for the game working before release. I'm pretty sure these features should return when they bring out the online version later this year... so all is not lost. Plus there is now a quicktune option for all arcade based cars so you can still tune them in some way before a race even if you can't use garage cars at the moment.

Anyway I just thought I'd tell everyone and show off a few screenshots to wet your apetite.

1105271867621o.jpg

1105378826640o.jpg

1105346493858o.jpg

1105278012646o.jpg

Get your DFP's ready people!

leggy

Probably Scottish
Lack of aliasing leads me to believe they are not ingame racing shots. I honestly couldn't be less excited about this game :)

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
They are ingame from replays.. GT4 allows you to go through your replays and pick any frame you wish to save as a .jpg and transfer to your PC or print out instantly.. that's what they are. They have the same detail as GT4 does, just they are in a higher res.

I'm not sure why you're so unexcited about it.. unless you dislike driving/cars/racing :p

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
4 times more pixels means they are not "the same detail". Plus they look like they've had post-processing effects on them to reduce aliasing. Showing fancy shots you won't ever see moving really doesn't sell me on a game - might as well just mock up some renders in maya and photoshop them up to look uber pretty, they're about as representative.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
yeah exactly

im sure it will be a really good game so why try and blag amazing graphics that everyone knows wont be used while playing.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
It's not blagging though, it's just an in-game feature that *shock horror* some people seem to like and use lots :)

I for one will be buying it and no doubt being as sad as everyone else taking nice piccies of my cars and dumping them to flash drives :)

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
yay for babs.. and boo you other scum!

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
GT4. *shivers*

PS2. *shivers more*

Not being a cock but tbh they should've stopped at 3, not really anywhere else that they can go with this game now apart from improving the graphics (if there is, please enlighten me). Also, because of the fact that they've made the fourth one for the PS2 rather than taking the logical option of developing it for the PS3, the graphics will be the same as GT3 which will afaik make for a very similar game. It's a racing game and the other GT games have taken racing simulations as far as they can go imo, then the only room left for improvement is in the graphics department - GT3 pushed the PS2 to it's limits graphically, so like I said, this is going to be pretty much the same game in my eyes, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Oh and Skyler, your screenshots are dead.

edit: tried to make this post as coherent as possible, sorry if it isn't - I'm fatigued atm so forgive me.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, GT4 looks quite a considerable amount better than 3.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Dillinja said:
GT4. *shivers*

PS2. *shivers more*

Not being a cock but tbh they should've stopped at 3, not really anywhere else that they can go with this game now apart from improving the graphics (if there is, please enlighten me). Also, because of the fact that they've made the fourth one for the PS2 rather than taking the logical option of developing it for the PS3, the graphics will be the same as GT3 which will afaik make for a very similar game. It's a racing game and the other GT games have taken racing simulations as far as they can go imo, then the only room left for improvement is in the graphics department - GT3 pushed the PS2 to it's limits graphically, so like I said, this is going to be pretty much the same game in my eyes, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Oh and Skyler, your screenshots are dead.

edit: tried to make this post as coherent as possible, sorry if it isn't - I'm fatigued atm so forgive me.

I'm aware my screenies are dead.. GT4 stuff gets too much traffic it always goes :(

As for the game being different... GT3 is nothing compared to GT4.. GT3 is a big heap of absolute crap in the physics department compared to GT4.. GT4 is a completely reworked physics engine made from scratch.. it has more detailed physics and much better handling of all the cars. It will be the most realistic GT game so far. It will be accompanied by the DFP Wheel which is also brilliant. The graphics have improved a huge amount and they have also added photo mode so you can mess around with photographing all your favourite cars at some brilliant locations and then save them to your PC as wallpaper or print directly to a printer. There are more tracks, better tracks... the old tracks have been reworked... there are over 700 cars this time... GT3 had perhaps 300. Plus of course this will be the first GT game to bring LAN play to the equation and later in the year Internet play also.

It will continue with the Polyphony tradition. They made GT on the PSX and were not totally sure what it could do.. after making GT they improved it with GT2, more tracks, more cars, more modes, better graphics... same console... GT3 came out and they were also seemingly uneasy about what they could do.. it took many hours to model each car and they didn't get many in.. it also didn't have that many tracks... many said GT2 was better... that is of course until they played GT3... and now GT4 shall come out and GT3 shall be left alone. I cannot even play GT3 now it feels too lame to me... after playing Prologue only that is... and Prologue is not nearly as nice as GT4.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I stand corrected. I'm still not convinced though... I dunno, I might buy it.

And yeah, GT3 did pretty much leave a bad taste for me. Graphics were great but there was a real lack of depth in the form of cars compared to the older games.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
I believe that GT4 will have more cars than any previous GT game.. modelled with more accuracy and with more realism than any other previous GT game. As well as tracks such as the Nurburgring and Le Mans (two versions).. along with a host of many fantastic new tracks... I'm gonna enjoy it certainly :p

Yaka

Part of the furniture
At first i dint think Gt4 was much of a improvment over GT3, but having played GT3 again its much much better and imho should only be played with the spiffy logitech wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom