Government so outraged over newspaper snooping it seeks law to snoop itself

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
yes it's essential the police and government have access at a level far exceeding that of Eastern Germany at the height of the Stasi, a system utterly deplored by our government at the time (read as 'jealous of').
The internet has freed us and chained us at the same time, which when you think about it means it has only chained us, hiding behind anomisers will just prove your guilt (whatcha got to hide sonny?)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
defies the entire point of fucking PRIVATE messages and emails if some spotty little cunt in london can read everything you send. I'll be surprised if this goes ahead, be plenty of people opposing it i'd imagine (the net companies being some of them) christ, i'm surprised the human rights nut jobs havent come out from under their rocks yet, bound to be something in there that goes against human rights.

rynnor

Rockhound
If it comes in everyone should just encrypt all emails - it would be a massive issue for GCHQ especially if we use algorithms other than RSA.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
oh i hope this is an April fools, seems too widely reported to actually be an april fools joke

gohan

FH is my second home
I never accept anything as true on april 1st, if it's still reported tommorow i'll take notice

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My tin foil hat is looking more and more fashionable by the day.

Edit: /looks towards European Court of Human Rights to find any law like this that gets passed illegal...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Interesting that Labour tried to introduce a similar law in 2006 and it was stopped by...The Tories and Lib Dems (mainly). Spool forward six years, rinse and repeat. What are SIS telling the Government every few years that makes them try to introduce this shit, that clearly makes them look like fascist idiots every time they try to do it? Its either something really scary, or more likely, SIS have dirt on every politician in the decision-making process.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Maybe we don't have a real democracy and both sides are the same, working against us?

The real threat to our government is the people. Riots last year? Extreme opinions forming because our Government is becoming more and more authoritarian and we have a financial system that's fucking everyone over in favour of a tiny tiny majority? Views not being represented in parliament resulting in Galloway getting elected?

/tinfoil ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Maybe we don't have a real democracy and both sides are the same, working against us?

The real threat to our government is the people. Riots last year? Extreme opinions forming because our Government is becoming more and more authoritarian and we have a financial system that's fucking everyone over in favour of a tiny tiny majority? Views not being represented in parliament resulting in Galloway getting elected?

/tinfoil ;)

The riots had nothing at all to do with politics or government. It was lazy people wanting free stuff.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The riots had nothing at all to do with politics or government. It was lazy people wanting free stuff.

Totally retarded viewpoint.

Yes, many people jumped on the bandwagon for free stuff but to say there was no political component to it is so obviously wrong it's to suck Cameron's dick.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The initial riots were because the feds popped a cap in a bro or some such. I don't think they much care about politics, I doubt any of them vote or even know who is prime minister.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I actually removed the feds popping a cap in a bro line from my original reply. I understand he was shot whilst sat in a taxi, unarmed, and the state (i.e. the coppers) tried to say he'd shot at them first.

The locals rose up as this was the straw that broke the camels back. Years of percieved police oppression.

If you don't think that's politics, then what is? You don't need to sign a petition to be involved in politics. Rioting is involvement in politics, even if sometimes it is also theft :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
This is not an anti-terrorism thing. Its business. Who are the government? Former business leaders. When they stop being cabinet ministers they go back to business and take the information with them. They already know about certain bad guys. Rest assured, if they want to tap into your emails and or internet surfing history they already can and do so if they wish. And how many times a day is the word "bomb" used casually and harmlessly? They want to implement these draconian eves-dropping measures to catch the odd terrorist yet they let Abu Qatada walk about freely. How do the UK govt intend to monitor the amount of electronic traffic? There must be hundreds of picobytes of info on a daily basis.

I like the way they try to slip the legislation under the carpet as almost a "oh yeah, by the way, we're going to introduce this bill...now where were we? Ah yes, fishing quotas..."

And where are the Lib Dems protecting our civil liberties? Clegg: you are as weak as a sick kitten after drinking 200 pints.

This bill the govt are putting thru stinks worse than TdC's sock drawer.

Job

Nothing new on phone calls, I was part of the team that installed a call monitoring package on all BT exchanges, it's actually integral to the way exchanges work and when you pick up a phone, regardless of supplier, the very first thing the exchange does is check to see if the government wants to listen in, if it does the call gets routed to various listening centers around the country.
That's not tinhat, it's the absolute truth, and the 21st century network will ramp it up even furtherm when it finally get's finished, though every website, call, twitter,facebook. email, just isn't possible, not without spending billions on the hardware.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Totally retarded viewpoint.
You're going out on a limb to say it's totally retarded. If it wasn't partially down to the criminal fraternity using it as an excuse to steal then why did violence even occur in places like Manchester? I highly doubt that the chap who got shot was related to everyone in the North.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're going out on a limb to say it's totally retarded. If it wasn't partially down to the criminal fraternity using it as an excuse to steal then why did violence even occur in places like Manchester? I highly doubt that the chap who got shot was related to everyone in the North.

I said raven's reasoning was retarded because it discounted any politics. Violence erupted in Manchester not simply because people wanted to go out theiving - they could do that any time - it's because they had a self-jusifying excuse.

The violence was waiting to happen. There's a bubbling undercurrent of discontent that showed it's face through criminality - but the criminality wasn't the cause - discontent was the cause. Criminality was the symptom.

Raven said that the riots had "nothing to do with politics or the government". Of course it did - the root cause of the violence is all about that.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fair point but I can't agree. For me the root cause is the fact that people are being told "we spent a shit load of money we shouldn't have, now you're all going to suffer as a consequence" and the people telling them are (as always) more insulated from the pain due to them being financially better off.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Legal intercept of email and phone calls is law in just about every country on this planet. It is easy to sit there and say they are taking it too far but you can guarantee if there was a big terrorist incident in London the very same people would be complaining that the security services should have known and stopped it. As long as laws are not circumvented I'm personally OK with it but then I have nothing I feel I need to hide :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Seems they are rushing it through.

Time to sign every email, facebook message, text message and internet post with some sort of flagged word, if they are going to be cunts about it we should overload their system.

Bombs, infidels

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think we should have a national campaign where all our emails are forwarded automatically to our Members of Parliament. Every. Single. One.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tom, Genius.

And it sounds like you agree with me there Meg :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Legal intercept of email and phone calls is law in just about every country on this planet. It is easy to sit there and say they are taking it too far but you can guarantee if there was a big terrorist incident in London the very same people would be complaining that the security services should have known and stopped it. As long as laws are not circumvented I'm personally OK with it but then I have nothing I feel I need to hide :)
Problem is as I understand it this is another go at "who needs a courts permission" skank is it not?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't give a fuck about terrorists. The nature of our legal system means there've been more miscarriages of justice since 1990 than deaths by terrorism in this country in the last hundred billion years.

This law makes that situation worse...

Job

I'm all for it tbh, as long as we can have a camera in the office of every police commissioner and politician, every copper has a 24/7 video record of what he does and all judicial discussions are recorded, like fuckin judge judy, so we the people can get a bit of balance.
I have been on the recieving end of the all encompassing electronic database of your life, when I skived off work one afternoon for a piss up, the boss rang up and the lads covered for me, but he got suspicious and being a tw@t he brought down the mother of all investigations on my ass,
Why hadn't I logged in to certain databases?
My computer auto turned off at 2.45
I hadn't used my pass around the building since 12.00
I'd left my door pass in the building and tailgated out so he couldn't see me leave, but I pretended I'd forgotten it the next day and signed in, but like a numpty I used it to get out that night.
All of this is whatever, except when presented as a list of damning electronic evidence, it turned a minor skive into a disciplinary investigation, just like Tweet hysteria, it caused the managament to throw the book at me and I had to get a top union rep to get things in perspective, still ended up with a formal warning for something pre electronic leash would have got me a telling off.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
so, if I remove your anger having gotten stung for skiving you basically are saying you want people to watch the watchmen?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So wait, you break the terms of your contract, commit misconduct, lie about it - and then you wonder why they don't like it?

You're bafflingly mental.

Job

Read the post, I'm discussing the phenomena of elevated consequence from the results of embedded monitoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom