Got a Zalman now !

W

Wij

And it's quieter and seems to be keeping my CPU cool.

Still got problems tho. If I run at 133 FSB then my PC locks up when trying to connect to the internet via my alcatel frog.

It also locked up when I tried playing AoM offline after about a minute.

Underclocked it back to 133 FSB. I don't think it's a CPU temperature problem. Any ideas ?

B

Big G

What cpu, mobo etc.

I've found with overclocking in the past that i need to up the voltage a bit for successful overclocking - you might have to give it more juice.

My XP 2400+ runs quite happily at 2800+ speeds, but only if i up the voltage (which means more heat and better cooling)

Gaz

L

leggy

There is problems with VIA mobos and those frog modems (they don't provide enough power to the modem via the mobo's usb ports)

The best solution i hear is to connect your modem to a PCI USB card.

W

Will

Or a powered USB hub.

I have one spare. Then again, they aren't exactly expensive either.

K

kameleon

uzismiley.gif
your usb modem

W

Wij

I have a powered usb hub.

I'm not overclocking. It crashes at standard speed. I have to underclock to make it work.

Mobo is Epox 8KHA+ and cpu is XP 1800.

X

xane

You talking about those "flower" things with the separate fan on a boom ?

Could you quote the rough dimensions and whether it is mounted lengthways or widthways on the mobo ? Also if you think it is possible to replace the fan with a case mounted one ?

Ta.

X

xane

Originally posted by Wij
Mobo is Epox 8KHA+ and cpu is XP 1800.

Epox mobos have a nasty tendancy to get very upset at the 5V line drop, monitor this and see, what PSU you got, it may need upgrading or changing to a different model (Emermax's are known to cause 5V line drops).

I had this problem and it started when I began using more USB devices, I don't think the actual power consumption is anything to do with it, in my case the devices were a scanner and camera, both have their own power.

T

Testin da Cable

well, wij, we had the same system as you know but I never had any probs power-wise. perhaps a psu upgrade?

W

Wij

I was thinking of a PSU upgrade. I had doubts about it before even though it's 300W. Not all 300W are the same. Different rails and such. Also it's the thing making the most noise now. Which is annoying.

Might have to get a quiet one. Never actually changed a PSU before. Is it easy ?

Xane: the fan is about 3 to 4 inches along each side and I mounted it to the case. The bracket screws nicely into the screws for the AGP and PCI slots and leaves the fan blowing over the heat sink and Northbridge in my case.

T

Testin da Cable

aye, tis not hard. the good psu's all have clear guides, plus you have the interweb for searching if you can't hack it :)

T

Testin da Cable

not as much as playing blender-roulette with your co><or

W

Wij

But is it as safe as cuddling a small-ish Teddy for 10 seconds ?

W

Wij

W

Wij

X

xane

Originally posted by Wij
Xane: the fan is about 3 to 4 inches along each side and I mounted it to the case. The bracket screws nicely into the screws for the AGP and PCI slots and leaves the fan blowing over the heat sink and Northbridge in my case.

No I meant the dimensions of the heatsink, and what way does it face ?

Also, is there anything in the manual that says you can mount the fan (or an alternative fan) blowing from the side instead ?

T

Testin da Cable

I'd hazard that the cooling ribs layout is optimized for airflow from above...but if you'd duct the fan (or something like that) I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

W

Wij

The heatsink flowers out along the long dimension of the socket if you get my meaning. It looks like it would work best if the airflow is from above or through the pins so to speak.

Bah - I can't explain it. Get a picture :)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Wij
It's not dangerous then ? :uhoh:

As long as you don't connect it until after its fully installed ;)

D

danger

as long as you stick your tongue in the electricity socket and turn it on in order to make sure the mains electricity is discharged you'll be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread