Rant Google translate sucks

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Decided to test it with something nice and simple...

Aoln and Aoami are a pair of ass bandits. They only live in a student house as cover for their sordid sexual habits.

Translate returned : Aoln y Aoami son un par de bandidos culo! Vivir en una casa stundent es sólo una tapadera para sus hábitos sexuales sórdidas!

Which translates back into English as : Aoami Aoln and bandits are a pair of ass! Stundent live in a house is just a cover for his sordid sexual habits!

Useless.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
it nearly works if you translate from English - Japanese - Catalan - English;

Aoln and Aoami are a pair of ass bandits. They only live in a student house as cover for their sordid sexual habits.

Aoami Aoln and a pair of bandits ass. They live in the house of the student as a cover for his sordid sexual habits.

a pair of bandits ass!

if on the other hand you try

the orangutang picks up an orange and flings poop

from English - Japanese - Gailician - Irish - Indonesian - English

Orangutan, orange throw, picking coconuts

poop becomes coconuts!

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
When you put the name Aoln in the translater somewhere the wordt ass is bound to pop up.

gohan

FH is my second home
i just did "i like pie"

from english to arfrikaans -armenian- arabic-hebrew-polish-french-english

and it came out as

i like pie

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Everyone in the world likes pie! :)
English: Everyone in the world likes pie!

Afrikaans: Almal in die wêreld hou pie!
Armenian: Ամեն ոք աշխարհում նման կարկանդակ!
الجميع في العالم مثل فطيرة! Arabic:
כולם בעולם כמו פנקייק! Hebrew:
Polish: Cały świat jak naleśniki!
French: Le monde entier comme des crêpes!

English: The whole world like pancakes!

gohan

FH is my second home
English: Everyone in the world likes pie!

Afrikaans: Almal in die wêreld hou pie!
Armenian: Ամեն ոք աշխարհում նման կարկանդակ!
الجميع في العالم مثل فطيرة! Arabic:
כולם בעולם כמו פנקייק! Hebrew:
Polish: Cały świat jak naleśniki!
French: Le monde entier comme des crêpes!

English: The whole world like pancakes!

omg the AI is immense it's deduced that if you like pie you probly like pancakes too and its starting a convertion

"i like pie"

"i like pancakes, lets be friends"

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I just tried something and came to the following results:

Original said:
I, ruler of the county of York, hereby declare that everyone not complying to my rules shall be tortured to death.

German said:
I, Herrscher der Grafschaft York, erklären hiermit, dass alle nicht entsprechen, meine Regeln sind zu Tode gefoltert.

Backtranslation: I, rules of the county of york, hereby declare that everyone doesn't comply, my rules are tortured to death.
Correct German: Ich, Herrscher der Grafschaft York, erkläre hiermit, dass alle, die sich nicht meinen Regeln fügen, zu Tode gefoltert werden.

French said:
I, souverain du comté de York, déclare que tout le monde ne se conforme pas à mes règles ne peut être torturé à mort.

Backtranslation: I, ruler of the county of York, declare that everyone doesn't comply to my rules can't be tortured to death.
Correct French: En tant que souverain du comté de York, je déclare que tous qui ne se soumettent pas à mes règles seront torturés à mort.

----------

So for some funny reason, "I" is not recognised as the personal pronoun, but as non-translatable token. So the insertion in commas is not a problem and the translator correctly gives the title in German and French, BUT that's more or less due to the fact, that the grammatical structure in those cases is nearly similar. There is a little problem, though.

In German and English you can put that title between commas easily, but in French that doesn't work, because there are strong and weak personal pronouns and to avoid having to use both, you need to completely change the structure of the sentence.

Another major problem seems to be the "not complying to". The translator seems to mistake this for a present progressive, thus kind of inserting an "is" in front of that.

Then there is the word "shall". In this case, this word belongs to the legal vocabulary, but as there is only one single sentence, the translator has a hard time making the connection.

A text made for machine translations has to use an easy syntax, clearly separated main and subordinate clauses and words that don't have many synonyms with a greatly different meaning.

A funny example is the following:
German said:
Am Straßenrand steht ein Schild. Auf diesem Schild ist ein Schild zu sehen.
English said:
At the roadside there is a sign. On this plate a sign is visible.

German uses the same word "Schild" for sign/plate and shield. They have a different gender (shield = mask., sign/plate = neutr.), but in the case of the indefinite article being used, there is no written difference. I guess by the English translation you can guess what the meaning is, but homonyms are a huge problem for machine translation =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom