Google could stop you getting a job!

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Should I also inform potential employers of my xfire username as well so they can see what a pro I am?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just don't give them your Cam4 page details where you get down and dirty on your webcam and it will be just fine! ;) :p :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If you're dumb enough to open your Facebook account to all and sundry you should even be allowed to use sharp objects, never mind get a job.

Embattle

FH is my second home
PCPRO covered this issue in one of the blogs, basically be careful how you treat information about yourself.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
And people scoff when I tell them that I don't have MyTwitFace.
Why make it easy for people? :)

Any HR person trying to egosurf me is in for a shock.
I simply don't exist online if you use my proper name. You'll find more if you use my nick, but I deliberately keep my proper name separate from my nick online.

Kryten

Old Cow.
According to my name I'm the mayor of some Cornish town. I can live with that :) However sometimes I do often find "MP" after my name, that, I can't.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Google reckons I'm a fireman and have written a book or two on fighting fire. I may add that to my CV.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
well I'm a Professor of History and Northern Studies according to Google

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And people scoff when I tell them that I don't have MyTwitFace.
Why make it easy for people? :)

Any HR person trying to egosurf me is in for a shock.
I simply don't exist online if you use my proper name. You'll find more if you use my nick, but I deliberately keep my proper name separate from my nick online.

You don't need to stay off them to stay safe, facebook has privacy controls that work fine, but people pay no attention to them. You also don't have to use your real name on it, or twitter.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am a town mayor and a Biologist.

I think this sort of thing only really works if you have a unique, or at least pretty rare name. Would be utterly useless to look up people with names like Jones, Smith etc Nothing on there about me, plenty about people with the same name though...

mooSe_

FH is my second home
My facebook page is the top result if you search my name on google. I fail to see the issue here however, you all just seem paranoid in this and the 123people thread. There is nothing incriminating on my facebook page. Could somebody explain how this could be used against me? There is also no scandalous pictures of me/comments by me on there really that an employer could really use as grounds to reject me as far as I am aware.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
You don't need to stay off them to stay safe, facebook has privacy controls that work fine, but people pay no attention to them. You also don't have to use your real name on it, or twitter.
Social networking sites are predicated on a simple premise... that you want to be social. Who says I want to be social? :)
When it comes down to it, I prefer a small circle of people I can truly call friends. They're the ones I see regularly.

mooSe_:
You're still being cautious because there's nothing incriminating on your FB. Take my sister for example, she spaffs everything on there. Most of it is harmless enough, but some of the pics are of drunken nights out. Prospective employers don't like to see their people doing that. Doing it is one thing, evidence of it is another.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Prospective employers don't like to see their people doing that. Doing it is one thing, evidence of it is another.

I would suggest that being rejected by a company with such a closed-minded attitude would be a lucky escape for most ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My facebook page is the top result if you search my name on google. I fail to see the issue here however, you all just seem paranoid in this and the 123people thread. There is nothing incriminating on my facebook page. Could somebody explain how this could be used against me? There is also no scandalous pictures of me/comments by me on there really that an employer could really use as grounds to reject me as far as I am aware.

Way to miss the point...

Chilly

Balls of steel

If just one of your friends installs a malicious app (and one of them is stupid enough, I guarantee you), that app then has access to all the data your friend has access to: which is probably everything on your fb acct.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If just one of your friends installs a malicious app (and one of them is stupid enough, I guarantee you), that app then has access to all the data your friend has access to: which is probably everything on your fb acct.

Which is why there are privacy settings labelled "applications and websites", which very specifically lets you chose which data to share with apps or websites your friends install. Like I said, FB has the privacy settings there, people are just to ignorant to use them.

Will

/bin/su
Say you were applying for a job, and the HR department sees your fondness for recreational drugs on your Facebook. They might decide to look at other candidates.

I can be struck off for breaching confidentiality of patients on a social networking site, which is fair enough. Technically I can also be struck off for failing to present a professional image, which is a bit scarier.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Which is why there are privacy settings labelled "applications and websites", which very specifically lets you chose which data to share with apps or websites your friends install. Like I said, FB has the privacy settings there, people are just to ignorant to use them.

Or too poorly informed by facebook, since the more lax people are with info, the better facebook's arpu.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Or too poorly informed by facebook, since the more lax people are with info, the better facebook's arpu.

yeah fair enough, although the settings are not hidden, and given all the press coverage about FB privacy, people should be fairly aware.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

and not just them. pretty sure almost every company does that now.

wich is why i never EVER use any of that shit :)

i have my forums and my MSN and thats it. :)

/edit: actually lost the chance at a job once because they thought i was lying when they asked if i were using facebook or similar and i told them no... :p

actually, now that i think about it. it could have been because i said that it was to easy for my boss to spy on me i didnt use them, that really did it....

Chilly

Balls of steel
It's part of the standard background checks that agencies provide these days.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
What I have just found slightly disturbing is that from a website I clicked on a name that is the same as mine and it pulled up my amazon wishlist....

There is nothing on it that would concern me and nothing on it now as I deleted the dictionary that was on there *laughs*... as for Facebook, google only pulls up other people of the same name...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom