Photography Goodbye Copyright

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's funny. Under Labour I had an overwhelming feeling that they were trying to micro-manage all aspects of our lives. I fucking hated them for that.

I'd forgotten what it was like under the Conservatives. They don't give a fuck about our lives. They just want to make money for the already rich and don't give two thoughts about passing legislation that does just that.

Fuck them all tbfh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Very, very easy to protect yourself. Just make sure any photos are on your own site as well as hosted anywhere else, with a copyright statement and a robots.txt file. Its a shitty piece of law, but "orphan works" only exist because people can't be arsed to keep track of their own shit.

If you were creator-owner then there was an automatic presumption in your favour. This means you now have to expend time, effort and money to protect what was previously protected.

It's not the biggest change ever, but it's the drip-drip-drip of our shit* being taken from us over generations, so we barely notice.

*our shit being civil liberties, rights to demonstrate, rights to gain from our own work etc. etc. etc...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It reads like a scare-mongering article to me. Most people's photographs are shit and of no value to anyone but their authors. Companies who require such imagery will continue to pay professionals for their services. And this is just an Act, the finer details of which have yet to be considered.

Fucked? Only if you consider Instagram photographs of blurred dogs to be valuable.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If you were creator-owner then there was an automatic presumption in your favour. This means you now have to expend time, effort and money to protect what was previously protected.

That's why I said its a shitty piece of law, but the barrier to protect yourself from this shitty piece of law is pretty low and is probably something you should be doing anyway. I see it as the IP version of wearing a seatbelt.

rynnor

Rockhound
The oddest thing is that its not going out as a copyright act but is just tagged onto something else - cant see why tbh - it doesnt really save any money drafting wise?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It reads like a scare-mongering article to me.

Well, it is El Reg. :)

But on a serious note, whilst a lot of people upload photos that aren't any good some people will upload works of art and unless they're completely on the ball about this stuff then their legitimate work will be taken from them.

The oddest thing is that its not going out as a copyright act but is just tagged onto something else - cant see why tbh

Simple. So it makes fewer waves.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Government...Legitimate reasons???

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Doesn't this set a case that if you upload something to the internets, it's free to use by anyone.

Games, movies, etc. If it's downloadable it's free ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
Uploading a photo to facebook or instagram is probably the best way of protecting your coptright. It attaches your identity to the upload very effectively. Uploading a photo to imgur, with no attribution, however, is daft. Especially if you think it's a decent photo.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
How on earth do people think these free websites intend to make money?

Data farming mostly but they will gladly snap (hur hur) up some free photos too.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
They make money from their customers - the advertisers. The product being sold is you.

milou

Part of the furniture
http://www.bapla.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=89&favm=4864&stype=story

"To summarise: A diligent search must be conducted for each individual work, the organisation must then obtain a license to use the work via an authorised licensing body (appointed by the government) providing proof of a diligent search, otherwise it is treated as an infringement. Someone cannot simply claim an orphan work that has no metadata, they must conduct full and proper search.
Extended Collective Licensing - This provides authorisation for collecting societies to operate ECL schemes. BAPLA has been extremely proactive in this area............... The response from IP minister Lord Younger confirms that as there is no collecting society for the photography sector an Extended Collective Licensing scheme CANNOT be imposed. We intend to ensure this is immutable."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom