good samaritans?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
just seen on the news a story that made me feel sick, a woman laying in the road with blood coming from her head (pictures were shot from a bus with cctv) suspected robbery victim and cars were swerving to aviod her, no one stopped to help her untill the bus came and the driver stopped to aid her.

This woman would have been left for god knows how long if the bus driver hadnt stopped and OMG just imaging for a second that that was you or a member of your family, laying in a public place clearly hurt and no one helped.

This brings to my mind a true story of something that happened in america in the 50's or 60's to a young girl called Kitty Genovese (sp?) she was raped and murdered outside an apartment building, people inside heard her cries for help and no one came, no one even called the police at hearing her screams, the attacker was interrupted twice i believe but not sufficiantly to put him off both times he returned to her and continued his work, police say that Kitty would have survived if someone had called the police when they first heard her screams instead she was stabbed several times and left to die alone, with some people actually yelling at her from the apartments to shut up.

I am always astounded by the contrasts of human behaviour, some times you hear about people who go out of their way to help others and do good deeds with little in the way of thanks, however all too often you hear about the other side of the coin and people who are too afraid/lazy/selfish to help, there was a man in the area which i have just moved from who witnessed a man beating up his girlfriend the man went to help and he was stabbed for his troubles, however surely the benifits must out weigh the bad consequences, knowing you have helped someone in even a small way always makes me feel good.

If you saw someone laying in the road with their head bleeding what would you do?
would you help, just by calling an ambulance on your mobile phone is helping, you dont have to get physically involved, or would you think "aw someone else will come deal with this"

If that was you or your loved one how would you be feeling now? personally it makes me feel sick and sad that we as a race will cry when we see little starving children in another country but wont assist someone close to hand for fear of a bad result.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Some people are selfish and couldn't give a shit about other people. They'd only see a reason to help if it was a member of their family or a close friend crying for help. That's just how it is.

Other people are too cowardly to involve theirselves. They see walking away and letting someone else deal with the problem as an easy way out. These ones can be called selfish aswell I guess.

edit; If I saw someone who needed help, I'd do something straight away. Not because I want to be a hero or whatever, it'd just seem like the right thing to do. I'd hope that someone would have the balls to come help me if I was on the floor in a pool of blood, after all.

Lorra

Fledgling Freddie
Its a sad state of affairs when the world ends up like this, but it is the way the majority of people are. Only help when it could benifit them or would give them some kind of personal gain. Its the way the world is now get used to it :( Personal i blame it on Social influnece and the Majority of people who would not think twice about doing something for there own gain, but when it comes to helping someone, well.... thats a whole different ball game.

Aruwynn

Fledgling Freddie
made an essay for psychology on that exact subject last year, about the helping thing that is

also included the kitty story

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Pfffff, the reason people dont stop is for several reasons.

Could be a scam to get you to pull over, then pinch your car, happens all the time.

The girl could turn violent, be AIDS infected and bleeding.

There could still be dodgy peope hanging around.

You don't stop because you will get no backup, there are no Police anywhere, it would just lead to trouble 90% of the time.

It is all the fault of soft sentencing, we are scared shitless of the streets and the only safety we have is our cars.

This country has passed over control to the criminal, round our way (which is actually still seen as quite posh) the streets belong to the gangs at night.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Job said:
Pfffff, the reason people dont stop is for several reasons.

Could be a scam to get you to pull over, then pinch your car, happens all the time.

The girl could turn violent, be AIDS infected and bleeding.

There could still be dodgy peope hanging around.

You don't stop because you will get no backup, there are no Police anywhere, it would just lead to trouble 90% of the time.

It is all the fault of soft sentencing, we are scared shitless of the streets and the only safety we have is our cars.

This country has passed over control to the criminal, round our way (which is actually still seen as quite posh) the streets belong to the gangs at night.

this is soo sad because its true, look at the 1st reason you gave, i didnt even think of that its appauling that people have made others scared to help or trust anyone.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
There's no community feeling in cities, so no one gives a shit about each other.

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
ezteq said:
If you saw someone laying in the road with their head bleeding what would you do?

Reverse back over them cos i wanted to run over their legs o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom