Good PC Games

Laddey

FH is my second home
Well, i'm looking for old'ish games that dont require a super duper computer to run. Ive got an average spec laptop

ATI RADEON 200M Onboard gfx
2gig of ram
vista
1.73 processor

I'm looking for things like Age of Empires, maybe a few good FPS. Anything, absolutly anything to kill time. What are your recomendation?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oblivion.

Kills time like a motherf...well...that actually only kills about 2 minutes, but the game does.

Helme

Resident Freddy
It's way better on the PC with the several thousand player made mods.

Other awesome games imo are Battle for Middle Earth 2 - really fun if you play it with friends.

Rise of Nations is a classic, Civilization is another. Rainbow 6: Vegas is awesome if you like shooters.

Company of Heroes is definetly worth checking out, as well as Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War.

If you're into story RPG's(no Oblivion really isn't one) Knights of the Old Republic 1&2(while yes, 2 wasn't really as good as 1 - it still beat the crap out of A LOT of other RPG's). Jade Empire is also really nice or Neverwinter Nights 2(make sure you patch it to 1.10, on your system its unplayable else).

If you want to go even longer back in PC games, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Planescape Tournament, Fallout 1 and 2 and Morrowind.

And my all time favourite PC game; Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is definetly worth checking out.

btw: use Can You RUN It? before buying/"buying" any of these games - wouldn't want to waste money to see you can't run it.

edit: If you wan't to know some more about any of the above games just ask.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Deus Ex (first one not second one as much :p ) amazing game, infact i might go play it now :(

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
If you want something to kill time on a laptop.. something strategy-like and doesn't take a lot of resources - you have to play Master of Orion 2. :) It's old but still gold!

I will also recommend, as I always do because it's my favourite game of all times, Rome: Total War. It's brilliant by itself, but gets even better (about 10 times better!) with some of the great mods out there, such as Europa Barbarorum and Rome: Total Realism. EB takes a bit of resources though, so RTR might be the better option for your laptop.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
If you can play it at 1024x768 with minimum set:

The Witcher

The fuking game of the fukin 2007 bro!

I got so hooked i started to play it this weekend again in Hard Mode (never did this in my life)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Oh aye, totally forgot The Witcher - pure awesomeness.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Oh yes, i would warmly recommend The Witcher too.. i just didn't think his laptop could handle it. :) Then again, i hear they introduced a patch that improved loading times etc?

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Oh yes, i would warmly recommend The Witcher too.. i just didn't think his laptop could handle it. :) Then again, i hear they introduced a patch that improved loading times etc?

If his laptop can handle Vista i think it can run The Witcher at minimum setup. The last patch is a must to avoid getting annoyed by 1min loading times (specially when you start entering and exiting houses) but I think it has more o do with the game itself than with his laptop, he has 2GB DDR anyways.

The bloody Witcher is da man ("a witcher! Hide your women!")

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Well in that case. Witcher is a must-play, Laddey! :D Get it. Get it now!

Lethul

FH is my second home
Witcher rox. I played to like chapter 3 (is it called chapters?). I got to a town and starting entering/exiting a lot of houses. The loading times drove me crazy. Then to my salvation the next patch was released the same week. But after i installed patch the lagg in the game went through the roof for me. Loading times might have been shorter i dunno but my average fps in the game was about 3-5 after the patch. Loved the game tho.

It is definitely on my list of "to play games" when i get my new computer after this summer :p The game on top of that list tho (dunno if your laptop can handle it) is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I've never been so in to a game as stalker. But was way to laggy for me to enjoy on my computer. Tried it a couple of more times but playing a fps game at 5-10 fps, it just isn't enjoyable.

Check if you can play stalker!

It is something special about east European games isn't it ? :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
His Laptop is overall better than my PC(except the GFX card) and I had no problems running it in 1024x768, but as I said earlier use: Can You RUN It?

I dunno about that site. I tested my comp for stalker and it said i passed on every point (minimum). My comp could not handle stalker on minimum. And this was weird aswell

CPU Speed
Minimum: 2.0 GHz (Pentium) / 2200+ (Athlon) or better
You Have: 2.80 GHz Performance Rated at 4.20 GHz

Rated at 4.20 GHz? Oo

Helme

Resident Freddy
Yes, they put in way more effort into minor details and story and less focus on making it look ridicolously pretty(see Crysis, biggest waste of space FPS ever).

I'm guessing you have an AMD 4200xp CPU? mine's rated at 3.6ghz and I've got an 3600xp :p
All I know is that if the site says you pass minimum, you can at least PLAY the game - but it won't necessarly be pretty or run that great. I usually go after the 'between minimum and recommended' before deciding on a game.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
psychonauts - one of the best platformers ever
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse - 3rd person, hilarious game
Unreal Tournament - FPS, Runs on practically everything under the sun
GTA3 may run at a push
Alternative is to grab an emulator and play gamecube and n64 games
Mount and Blade - Free for first 6 levels Medevil RPG with a nice combat system
Warcraft 3 + The frozen throne - classic, if you want a bit of a rpg element to it play a custom map called Dota (stick it in google) very popular mod

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Another game worth checking out:

X3: Reunion
Add freelancer to that, great storyline very arcadey gameplay so is pretty much pick up and play

Not sure if it will run on your spec but if your into story-driven games Dreamfall - The Longest Journey and its predecessor are very good

Lethul

FH is my second home
Yes, they put in way more effort into minor details and story and less focus on making it look ridicolously pretty(see Crysis, biggest waste of space FPS ever).

I'm guessing you have an AMD 4200xp CPU? mine's rated at 3.6ghz and I've got an 3600xp :p
All I know is that if the site says you pass minimum, you can at least PLAY the game - but it won't necessarly be pretty or run that great. I usually go after the 'between minimum and recommended' before deciding on a game.

Nope, Pentium 4 Northwood 2.80Ghz

Oldschool from when P4 was new :)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
What's wrong with Diablo2 on BattleNet guys? :(

I'm seriously considering to give it another go, just for fun..

Everz

FH is my second home
D2 on battlenet rocks, specially with them super baal/diablo/meph stuff ;D!

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Star control 2 ;) Emulated as 'The Ur-Quan Masters' now. Great old game which will run on just about anything and keep you entertained for a long while.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If they still work on newish systems, then I recommend the Settlers series.

hah, I've got the first one on my computer now, still great to play as long as you have somethingelse to do as well (early in the game it can be a little slow). Should probably try it on linux for the whole multi screen thing but havent yet.

edit:bloody insert button...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom