Good ISP's in the UK

S

Sparda_soul

ok guys need a new isp

been using AOL for about 18 months , and its been fine for daoc, swg, ect.
But after a few goes with halo online and much, elastic rope behind you so lets twang you back to where you was 30 secs ago, ness i got realy rather pissed off.
So give me good isps plz , faster the better and cant do ntl and blueyonder , i live on the top floor of a masionett. :(

thanx in advance

O

oblivion_6

can u get BT broadband?

its bitchin ive had it for 8 months and its damn fast and its never broke once

S

Sparda_soul

aol is fast , never had probs with it at all, just online shooter suck donkey ass on it, too much latency.

O

oblivion_6

have u checked the ping to the server?

maybes its a US server? or maybe the games code just is cack?

D

Deadmanwalking

If you are after ADSL isps then www.adslguide.org is your best friend.

The top 3 widely regarded best isps are

Nildram
Eclipse
and Zen

Anyway look at that site and it should make your chioce alot easier.

F

frogster

I use Nildram for DSL and would recommend it to anyone :O

W

Whoodoo_RD

Sounds more like hes on dial up. for FPS it will suck;

You > AOL (London) > AOL (USA) > game server > AOL (USA) > AOL (London) > You

hence a ping of 9billion.

Most ISPs are good, but I think AOL is now the only one with none of this 2 hour kick off shite, and the worst prize for that goes to virgin with 2 hour kick off then 10 minute rest period before you can redial.

Unless someone knows a better UK ISP with no kick and no hastle?

D

Deadmanwalking

Well he said he couldn't get NTL and Blueyonder cable :)

So DSL was the next obvious solution :D

C

chretien

I'm on Pipex ADSL, they have some pretty good dial-up packages too if you can't get broadband.
Incidentally AOHell sucks for a couple of very good reasons. Firstly the AOHell client is a proprietary piece of software that doesn't use the normal Windows DUN stuff but sets up it's own VPN, the client itself sucks a good bit of your bandwidth, meaning your connection is always gimped.
Secondly AOHells no-help desk, I work in PC tech support and I get customers who have come to me with internet connectivity issues after being fobbed off with absolute bollocks by AOHell. Classics include:
"Sunspots over the next few days mean that anyone with a modem won't be able to connect for a while. Try again in four days."
"Defrag your hard-drive and that will sort your connection out."
"You have an American make of computer that isn't compatible with the British version of the software."
If I was building a computer for someone I really didn't like, the first thing I'd do (after installing Windows ME obviously) would be to pre-install AOHell.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by chretien
"Sunspots over the next few days mean that anyone with a modem won't be able to connect for a while. Try again in four days.".

someone´s been reading BOFH ;)

K

Keogh

Move to an NTL or Blueyonder area. You know it makes sense :D

D

Deadmanwalking

He said he couldn't get it as he was at the top of a masionett.

Quite how that would stop them im not sure... try phoning BT and NTL/BY and asking about what either you or them can do.

S

Sparda_soul

im on AOL's DSL line atm , and i cant have cable cause it would require construction work to install.
Then i pointed out , use the inside stairs like they did in the building next door, and they replyed , we'll get back to you on that :D

N

-Nxs-

Nildram all the way here.

If your even tempted with BT check out www.adslguide.org and see how many people have left, and how many people have trouble with their support lines.

A

asorek

i use AOL Broadband and im fine with FPS games..none of this lag bullshit... ffs i wish people would only post truthful stuff not the usual AOLHATE BS!

S

Sparda_soul

AOL on Dsl plays fine with DAoC, UT2003, SWG, Planetside but for some gay reason a few FPS have huge packet loss, medal of honour, Halo, Battlefield 1942, to name but a few.
its not just FPS though, NWN lags to hell on line with it, as have a few other games and tbh i dont expect a DSL line to throw me about more then my 56k did. And if you read the contract you accept when signing up , there a clause that state's "aol is not suitablle for online "twitch" type games" so they admit it them selves.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Sparda_soul
AOL on Dsl plays fine with DAoC, UT2003, SWG, Planetside but for some gay reason a few FPS have huge packet loss, medal of honour, Halo, Battlefield 1942, to name but a few.

The huge packet loss is due to there routing. And the size/make up of the packets (Hence the dif games).

Oh and asorek sort your reply out please, you have made a completely unhelpful comment in an otherwise useful thread.

A

asorek

dont see whats soo unhelpful about actually telling the truth rather than people being deluded by crap about AOL, and usually those posting crap about AOL have never actually used them, only heard stories about them from friends of friends..but to keep this on topic i use AOL BB 512kbps, i play these games regularly WITH NO FPS LAG...

MOHAA + Spearhead
DAOC
UO
NWN
UT2003

theyre routing has changed recently and u no longer get routed via the US when in the UK, so my pings even to US servers are rarely over 70ms more usually around 30-40 in general. :great:

if your getting lag on MOHAA mate then i suggest u check your memory for the FPS bit, cos i have no probs with the following setup:

AMD Athlon XP1600+
512mb DDR Ram
GeForce 4Ti 4600 128mb GFX
7400rpm HD 60gb
ADSL USB BT Voyager Modem

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by asorek
but to keep this on topic i use AOL BB 512kbps, i play these games regularly WITH NO FPS LAG...

Your connection makes in this case makes no dif to your Frames Per second, so im assuming you meant First Person Shooter... but then it doesn't make sense
:p

A

asorek

it does make sense if youd read the posts above, he blamed AOL for his First Person Shooter lag... well i play a hell of a lot of FPS's and it dont affect me..just wanted to point that out...

also i did suggest that he check his memory to combat the lag..seeing as this is 50% of the problem with Frame lag and not your connection.

S

Sparda_soul

my system is more then fine for it fella, in fact i upgraded my system about 3 weeks ago just to see if it was my system.

but here are my specs

1gb drr 3200 ram
amd 2600
GF4 ti4600
cant remember speed but its mid range 80gig Hdd
and other stuff i cant be arsed listing

also its not FPS lag , its packet loss, ie the little phone line conection thingy flasshes then i bungee back to where i was 15 seconds ago :/

C

chretien

Originally posted by asorek
dont see whats soo unhelpful about actually telling the truth rather than people being deluded by crap about AOL, and usually those posting crap about AOL have never actually used them, only heard stories about them from friends of friends..
Firstly he didn't originally say he was on AOL BB. It's documented fact that AOL dial up sucks donkeys balls for the reasons I outlined above.
Also AOL tech support is a joke. I deal with the consequences of it every day.

G

Gamah

Originally posted by Sparda_soul
ok guys need a new isp

been using AOL for about 18 months , and its been fine for daoc, swg, ect.
But after a few goes with halo online and much, elastic rope behind you so lets twang you back to where you was 30 secs ago, ness i got realy rather pissed off.
So give me good isps plz , faster the better and cant do ntl and blueyonder , i live on the top floor of a masionett. :(

thanx in advance

Nildram..Fast..Cheap...Reliable..everything you want from a connection nildram provide!

D

Deadmanwalking

But they are Associated with a certain other GSP, that needs to be indited for crimes against hamsters :(

:D

F

Faeldawn

Have used NTL, AOL, BT and Freeserve so far (move around a bit with the job) and the best advice i can offer is to ask someone who lives in your area. Players here only have knowledge of their specific areas and with all due respect they cannot comment on the efficiency of different isp's in your area unless they have lived there.

ADSL/DSL conn's vary all over the country, some places cable is excellent, other places its complete crap, same goes for ADSL.

I always ask someone i know who has broadband in the area i move too (a friend or workmate usually) and usually get a good referral.

C

Cloak_

But whatever you do, BIN THEM AOL CD`S :clap:

Absolute pile of junk programming.

Yes I work in Tech support,
Yes I get AOL problems EVERYDAY,
Yes its 99% AOL Software Problems.

Problem is it seems Freeserve is going the same way :eek:

Ive been with and am going back to Pipex.

Good Cheap Reliable service

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom